Tag Archive for fire

Media linking woman’s death in Germany to “spontaneous” combustion. Not so fast.

News out of Flensburg, Germany today reports that a woman sitting on a park bench experienced “spontaneous combustion” and has died. As usual, the connection to SHC (spontaneous human combustion) is flawed and there is undoubtedly more to the story than the media reports. However, the headlines are what get attention and lead people to…

Caution: Hot towels

We have covered spontaneously combusting laundry before. Here is another case. A freak house fire in east London was caused by spontaneously igniting tea towels that had not been washed properly, fire chiefs believe. Source: Warning after ‘dirty tea towels spontaneously combust’, causing flat fire in east London  Any residue of oil left on the…

Did the parrot cry for help?

Who’s a pretty smart girl? Parrot’s Cries of ‘Help, Fire’ Bring Firefighters to Burning House in Idaho Emergency crews responding to a house fire in Idaho Friday night expected to find an elderly woman inside the home when they heard cries of “help” and “fire.” “Once the captain did his walk-around, he could hear something…

Nutella jar fire kills dog

This was a strange event but plausible. It can happen. Close your blinds during the day. Warning after Nutella jar sparks devastating blaze. A family’s house was gutted and their beloved dog killed when a Nutella jar magnified the sun’s rays, sparking a huge blaze. The fire is believed to have been been ignited when…

The mystery of the burning couch

This one might take some figuring out. A child tells an adult that there is a fire in a shop and saves a whole lot of damage. Young boy saves Fulham shop after spotting mysterious square fire – Get West London. A passer-by helped save a closed shop and flats from going up in flames…

Those pesky goblin infestations! Burn the house down!!

I’m wondering if there is anything for which “goblins” isn’t a kickass excuse. Sangoma in court for torching goblins’ house. A self-styled sangoma from Chief Nyajena area in Masvingo yesterday appeared in court for allegedly setting his uncle’s house on fire because it had goblins. Mike Musiiwa of Mutadzo Village pleaded guilty to arson before Masvingo…

Are we clear about not leaving glass in the sun? Crystal.

Today’s optics lesson – refraction. Didn’t see that one coming; Crystal ball sparks house fire. A couple’s crystal ball failed to predict their bedroom would set on fire after it was the glass ornament itself which sparked the blaze at a house in Romford. The pair had to call in firefighters after failing to have…

Dog blamed for house explosion

It’s no fun to come home to fire trucks around your house. Greyhound puppy blows up owners’ house in Goldthorpe, South Yorkshire, after chewing through can of Lynx deodorant | Metro News. Greyhound cross Zeus was left alone for just ten minutes before he sparked an explosion so powerful it shattered double-glazed windows, blew through…

Paranormal hotspot destroyed by fire: Emmitt House was heavily publicized as haunted

The historic building and restaurant in Waverly, Ohio touted as haunted is no more. Historic Emmitt House destroyed by fire | The Chillicothe Gazette | chillicothegazette.com. A historic — and believed to be haunted — landmark in downtown Waverly was destroyed by fire Monday night. The historic building, which has gone through several owners over…

Spontaneous laundry combustion

Oh no, the tea towels exploded. Brighton cafe becomes the latest victim of exploding tea towels (From The Argus). Another cafe has been hit by the strange phenomena of exploding tea towels. Firefighters were called to Billie’s Cafe in Hampton Place, Brighton, at just before 7pm yesterday to a fire in the basement of the…

Stove wasn’t dog-proofed

Accidents happen. DOG BLAMED FOR APARTMENT FIRE IN WASH. STATE. Fire officials say a dog reaching for treats turned on a stove and started a fire causing smoke damage to an apartment in the central Washington city of Wenatchee. Wenatchee Fire Marshal Mark Yaple tells KPQ radio that it appears the black Labrador was reaching…

Kill it with fire!

I saw this story about a man arrested for setting fire to part of his house while others were in there. His excuse? Demons. I wonder where he got that crazy idea? Avondale man burns closet to rid it of demons. Avondale police say they arrested a man Monday afternoon who allegedly started a fire…

The soil, it burns — the sequel

Who knew? Potting soil can be flammable. Cigarette ignited potting soil, then Omaha apartment building – Omaha.com. “People don’t realize it, but some potting soil is actually flammable,” Stolinski said. “This happens more than you would think.” The roof and portions of third- and second-floor ceilings of the building caved in, and Batallion Chief Robb…

Tricksy goblins steal underwear and cause fire

Your weekly goblin report from (where else?) Zimbabwe… You just can’t make this stuff up. I can’t help but wonder what the real story is. Bulawayo24 NEWS | Prophet sends goblins to steal woman’s g-strings. A Bulawayo woman is reportedly tormented by goblins which steal her g-string panties and whisper insults, accusing her of switching…

Hero dog warned blind owner of fire

Dogs are awesome. Jack Russell saved owner when bed caught fire | This is Bristol. Clever Barbie, a Jack Russell, woke 72-year-old Rosemary Field, a registered blind diabetic, early in the morning by climbing on her bed and licking her face. But when Barbie kept licking she opened her eyes – to find her bed…