MUFON under fire for PA director’s absurd racist rant

The Mutual UFO network headquarters issued a “non-pology” saying they can’t police people’s personal views after PA Director, John Ventre, posted a racist rant on his personal Facebook page about a Netflix series.

Note the five “likes” on this post. UFOlogy is dominated by conspiracy ideas and run almost entirely by older white men. From following the history of flare-ups in the MUFON community, it’s clear they have problems across the board. Blatant racism might just come along with the crowd. The stench of pseudoscience is also all over the nonsense in the FB post by Ventre which consists of several outright untruths. That seems to be a recurring theme for some high-profile UFO researchers – promotion of ideology through pseudoscience and conspiratorial ideas.

The avoidance response by MUFON HQ, written by Jan C. Harzan, Executive Director, is not going over too well. Ventre has been “censored” by MUFON and removed from some features. The comments reveal that several people would like him gone completely and for MUFON to outright disavow this ugly sentiment.

Back in September, MUFON revealed they are trying to “rebrand” their org. Good luck. That’s a lot of stink to be removed.

Thanks to Lance Moody for the tip.
———————-
Additional information or comments can be sent to editor@doubtfulnews.com. Follow on Twitter: @doubtfulnews

17 comments for “MUFON under fire for PA director’s absurd racist rant

1. RandyRandy
    May 19, 2017 at 1:08 PM

Stink? Mutual Use of Febreze Odor Neutralizer. STAT.

2. May 19, 2017 at 1:28 PM

I took a look at Ventre’s personal CV page where he manages to hit numerous whacked out conspiracies in his highly ungrammatical rant. I have to admit that I’m particularly persnickety about random capitalization, possibly because it indicates a complete lack of awareness of punctuation and unwillingness to let other people vet the copy.

“Non-pology” is exactly right. This is the possibly the lamest response to outright racist, hate speech that I’ve ever seen. In fact, as soon as I see the term “haters hating” I know that some nonsense will follow. I was not disappointed:

“Who is worse, the person posting, or the haters hating? … It was recently brought to my attention that one of our volunteers had posted a comment on their personal Facebook page that many found offensive.”

…”that many found offensive”: sheesh!

3. May 19, 2017 at 1:30 PM

Well apparently not 5 people who “liked” it.

4. Bob
    May 19, 2017 at 5:24 PM

I am amazed that Mr. Harzan allows Mr. Ventre to still operate at Pennsylvania MUFON, or elsewhere in their organization.
    I have personally spoken to Mr. Harzan two years ago about Mr. Ventre’s behavior with respect to several of my clients. He admitted that there were a lot of “mentally ill people and egomaniacs in MUFON” and he assured me that he would “try to clean the mess up” that he inherited.
    Obviously, Mr. Harzan is not up to the task!

5. May 19, 2017 at 6:42 PM

Your “clients”? Can you describe the context in which his behavior inappropriate? I would like solid evidence, please, not just hearsay or rumors. I don’t think the rest of the MUFON people would appreciate being under that umbrella of “mentally ill people and egomaniacs” since many of them are clearly not.

6. William Christie
    May 19, 2017 at 7:37 PM

Let me see if I understand this. Supposedly MUFON investigates UFOS, which are supposedly piloted by entities from another planet or dimension. So John Ventre is OK with aliens visiting Earth, but continues to have problems with fellow humans who have a darker skin than he has. Does anyone see the illogic in this?

I am not surprised though, since I have encountered many popular ufology “stars” who are politically more right wing than Donald Trump! Again, they may welcome alien visitors, but god forbid that a gay person marry another gay person or a racial minority be given equal treatment to the “White Man”.

7. terry the censor
    May 20, 2017 at 12:25 AM

Ventre is also the chap who suggested Malaysia Airline 370 was abducted by aliens.

8. May 20, 2017 at 12:34 AM

Write on, Terry!

9. James
    May 20, 2017 at 6:10 PM

Many of us inside of Mufon are very upset about this and I personally would not accept anything less than complete a separation from Mr. Ventre and a better response from Jan.

10. Graham
    May 21, 2017 at 3:25 AM

It does not surprise me in the slightest, conspiracy magnetism is a well known fact.

11. Idoubtit
    May 22, 2017 at 7:11 PM

Ventre is right#

12. May 23, 2017 at 8:30 AM

Sanitizing has begun. Harzan’s MUFON post had 31 comments yesterday, now it’s down to 23. The posts with links to articles on the fiasco have been deleted, as well as some negative comments on the organization. However, there’s one new one.

MUFON’s communications director, Roger Marsh, has added a new comment, a bizarre rant about Ventre, defending his honor while criticizing him for a range of things including being a publicity whore and “serving cheap food at his mansion.”

13. May 23, 2017 at 8:34 AM

They’re digging the hole deeper eh? Trying to hide something? This is ugly stuff. I’m thinking this org should die and be rebuilt with new people.

14. May 23, 2017 at 8:41 AM

There was not a thing Ventre said that was “right” except if you are describing political leaning. His comments were historically incorrect and his sentiment was ethically despicable. If you agree with him, get the hell off my site and don’t come back. I don’t tolerate such utter shit.

15. May 23, 2017 at 1:53 PM

All comments are now removed on the MUFON site after a bizarre, late night rambling rant from
    Director Of Communications, Roger Marsh.

My expanded commentary is here:

16. Hug H
    May 25, 2017 at 4:35 PM

Apparently being open minded about unexplained phenomenon leaves some suceptible to being “open minded” to sinister forces and ideologies that NEVER go away.

Two relevant quotes come to mind-

“All the goodness and the heroisms will rise up again, then be cut down again and rise up. It isn’t that the evil thing wins — it never will — but that it doesn’t die.”
    John Steinbeck

“Beware always of the loudmouth taking advantage of the situation and appealing to a crowd’s meanest nature.”
    NYC Columnist Jimmy Breslin about Donald Trump in 1989

How soonly and sadly we forget….

17. LarsOfMars
    May 27, 2017 at 12:02 AM

Open letter to John V
    entre;Pa Mufon dir.(?)
    As a third generation
    white American,I found
    your comments repuls-
    ive!My grandparents
    arrived at Ellis Island in 1902,both illiterate
    by your lofty standards.
    But they both knew three letters,USA.They
    worked very hard and the prejudice against them was incredibly
    difficult,because you
    See Mr.Ventri your Brit.
    European ancestors,were in control of the wheels,calendars and numbering systems!
    They were so worried that the good old boy network they had all gorged themselves on for so long might be compromised,or god forbid,any of the obscene money accumulated that afforded them their choice of schools,jobs,area to lo-
    cate.etc.
    Mr.ventre you state in your manifesto that’the last thing the blacks want is for the white males to organize”Mr.Ventre I believe you already have,its called the KKK!
    This brings me to my last two points Mr.Ventre;Shut the fuck up you self righteous,pompous,arr-ogant jack ass!!
    One last thing,and I want to end on a positive note.There is a lady that’s battling one of Ventre’s buddies at Mufon.You see if you were a lady under him,
    he expected them to be”under him”.She was forced to resign,and well he read the book”The Best Defense IsA Good Offense”.
    Her show is on Fri.4-6pm,on kcor digital.She
    is a wonderful human being that just happens to run my favorite ufo-
    logy/paranormal show.
    Any of the aforementioned details may be verified at her
    website.So come on
    let’s all give her the support she deserves!!
    You can help us “drain Mufon’s swamp”&shine all our lights on the dark,unacceptable behavior in the little boys room.
    ps,great chat room!!!