We’re talking news stories and science in popular culture in this episode of the podcast. Listen via the embedded player below or, better yet, subscribe via your podcast service app of choice!
News of the world
There is now a hotline to report crimes by illegal aliens.
- Alien Day? Didn’t know this was a thing. I do now. Thanks, U.S. Dept. of Homeland Security!
- The PATRIOT Act of 2001 is “Providing Appropriate Tools Required to Intercept and Obstruct Terrorism” Act of 2001.
- Do illegal immigrants commit more crimes? “Experts say the available evidence does not support the idea that undocumented immigrants commit a disproportionate share of crime.”
Vandals are a problem at the bridge. The ghost stories surrounding the Sachs bridge in Gettysburg are certainly bringing more people in to try to “capture paranormal activity”. Here are some examples of photos:
- Kenny Biddle on our encounter with ghost legend trippers at the bridge.
- If you really have nothing better to do AT ALL, check out this video. WARNING: Incredibly boring and stupid.
- Billy McFarland of Fyre Media.
- Kendall Jenner was paid an obscene amount for advertising
- Naïveté or “incompetence on an almost inconceivable scale”? The lawsuits arrive.
Science and society
Marching and promoting science: Is it reaching the right audience with current strategies? Sharon says no.
We’ll be talking about Bill Nye’s new show in the next episode, but here is more from media reporting on marching and advocating for science policy.
Sorry for the buzz and compression issues you may notice. We think we can fix this for the next episode. (We used science to figure out why this was occurring.)
To our regular listeners: Sadly, we must announce Howard’s End. He has decided to leave the show (no, he wasn’t fired or fyred). We hope he comes back to visit on occasion. He’ll be greatly missed.