In this episode, after a disheartening election result, we spend time catching up on other questionable claims reviewing all the news stories posted since last time.
- Alaska river monster
- Canadian ping
- Quack loses license in Florida
- American eagles down the drain
- Earthquake lights over New Zealand
- Nostradamus and others “predicting” election results
- Fake News never dies, it has a long prosperous life on Facebook
- Journal paper on psychics retracted
- Michelle Obama memed
Some commentators totally missed the point about the Michelle Obama fake picture post – that story was not for you. We reflect on the value of going outside our circle of skeptical friends. We visited paranormal-themed presentations and witnessed how little critical thinking is exhibited. People just want to believe, not to know. This is getting really scary now… it’s way past time that the skeptical community quit navel-gazing and do something actually useful.
In the podcast, Sharon mentions a speaker (who stated she recommends her clients with grief issues seek help from psychic mediums) who was listed as having a PhD. At the time, we didn’t know what her degree was in. Well, it was in Philosophy with specialization in Spiritual Psychology, from the Union Institute & University, Cincinnati, OH – a distance learning school with some past credibility issues. Spiritual Psychology? Color me unsurprised… So, she was certainly talking within her field of expertise but it was all BS, nonetheless.
If you have any particular questions about something we glossed over, let us know in the comments.
- Visiting the Fringe (Sharon’s blog post about the Fringe NJ convention)
- “Phenomenology” Paranormal Conference Shows Shift from Sciencey to Spiritual
- Going off-track: A visit to the paranormal side of Dragon Con
- The Excluded Middle: A Skeptic Explores the Extraordinary
- The Bubble (Howard’s recent blog post on skeptical outreach)
- Brian talks about Montague Summers
- Strange Frequencies Radio EVP listening party
- O, Fortuna misheard lyrics
- Skeptoid on When People Talk Backwards (a GREAT episode to listen to with kids)
Your donations to the podcast are greatly appreciated. Mixing metaphors Howard heard the light and will have a better microphone for next episode. And, we’ve purchased unlimited hosting space to keep all episodes available. Positive reviews and word of mouth would really help, so leave some feedback on itunes and tell your friends about episodes you like.