Robert Todd Carroll of The Skeptic’s Dictionary has died

img_0072Skeptical Inquirer Facebook page announced just yesterday that uber-Skeptic Bob Carroll passed away on August 25 of pancreatic neuroendocrine cancer. He was 71. A former professor teaching Philosophy and Critical Thinking at Sacramento City College for over 30 years Bob shared his knowledge in the form of the HUGE compendium of skepticism, The Skeptic’s Dictionary. From his obituary:

A prolific writer, Bob is best known for his contributions in the field of skepticism. In 1994, he published one of the world’s first web-based books, The Skeptic’s Dictionary, which was published in print in 2003 and translated into several languages including Spanish, Dutch, Japanese, Slovak, Korean, Russian, and just last year, Chinese. His Skeptic’s Dictionary website continues to attract more than 400,000 visitors a month.

And his newsletters were the best. I looked forward to them remarking on the last one issued last May. There are many links to the Skeptic’s Dictionary site on this blog. It was my go-to place for referenced articles on topics discussed here.

What a legacy Bob left! Doubtful News will miss him very very much.

7 comments for “Robert Todd Carroll of The Skeptic’s Dictionary has died

1. October 5, 2016 at 12:41 PM

Will the Skeptic’s Dictionary website live on?? Indisputably a great web resource!

2. L.Barth
    October 5, 2016 at 2:27 PM

this is very sad, I followed his website regularly.

3. October 5, 2016 at 8:33 PM

Over the years, Bob was very kind to SFN, linking to our forum and to one of my essays. That was over sixteen years ago and The Skeptic Dictionary was already one of the best and most important skeptical resources on the web. We sort of knew this was coming but the news of his passing still hurts. He will be missed.

4. Graham
    October 5, 2016 at 9:09 PM

He will be greatly missed. I hope that someone can keep his site going as it is a great resource. My condolences to the community.

5. Hiram
    October 6, 2016 at 3:21 AM

Sad to know this. Like John Rummel above, I also wonder if someone will continue with the fantastic work Carroll did. I really hope someone does. I also kind of worry about the future of Quackwatch -which is one of my staples really- because Dr. Barrett is not getting any younger. A bit irrational, I know. But then we don’t have enough rational people enlightening the world (at least part of the Internet anyway) either.

6. October 6, 2016 at 8:34 AM

This saddens me deeply. I always wanted to ask his permission to embark in a translation of the Skeptic Dictionary to Spanish to have this useful resource available in my mother tongue. I guess I won’t be able to do that now :-\

7. Mike C
    October 13, 2016 at 8:21 AM

Sorry to hear that. I use the Skeptic’s Dictionary.