Stopping by at 15 Credibility Street this week are our pals Bob Blaskiewicz and Karl Mamer. Because, they rock. But first, since this is Halloween, I mention ghosts. The hot news this week was not that ghosts are any more plausible or better documented than in the last 300 years but that the guy who makes a living off making, selling and promoting (on TV) his ghost-seeking devices, admits “the ghosts, they are us”. Finally, the skeptics are allowed to totally crush the afterlife out of the celebrity Ghost Hunters in a seasonal piece. Touchdown.
Dr. Bob brings us the continuing story of a quack who is facing potential sanctions from the Texas Medical Board. Regular readers of Doubtful News will know the name Stanislaw Burzynski, a medical doctor who runs his own cancer treatment clinic using some alternative methods unsupported by evidence, who is the subject of propaganda movies and campaigns and who has violated research standards according to FDA inspectors while running a never-ending trial without solid results. Yet, on and on he goes, charging patients exorbitant case management fees and selling them drugs at high costs from his own pharmacy. Check out the stories of the patients that aren’t praising Burzynski at The Other Burzynski Patient Group site. The current status of the case is the issuance of a preliminary ruling loaded with some absurdities from Chief Administrative Law Judge Lesli G. Ginn including this comment:
The alternative therapy provided by Dr. Burzynski during the period at issue has since become more accepted and mainstream.
False. NOT a fact. Propaganda seems to be working. The Medical Board has received some criticism for this. But not enough. The decision has not been finalized.
Don’t miss this crucial expose on the Burzynski Clinic from USA Today (July 2014): Doctor accused of selling false hope to families
Our second segment is something I doubt you can get anyplace else: We ask a Canadian Conspiracy Skeptic about the US Presidential elections.
Howard chats with Karl Mamer of the Conspiracy Skeptic podcast about the rampant claims that voting can be rigged. How plausible is this? What does it involve? And what IS Dan Rather doing these days…? Make sure you listen all the way to the end for Howard’s jabs at Putin and Karl’s comments on poppies and his own drawing skills. I’m pretty sure Howard and Karl are related.
Download Episode 2 HERE
listen right now
- Popular Mechanics: Proton Packs and Teddy Bears: The Pseudoscientific History of Ghost Hunting Gadgets
- Inside the disturbing practices at Burzynski’s clinic: Skeptic Activists Fighting for Burzynski’s Cancer Patients
- Respectful Insolence: Stanislaw Burzynski and the cynical use of cancer patients as shields and weapons against the FDA: Yes, the FDA has caved.
- Respectful Insolence: Alternative cancer “cures”: Nothing’s changed in 34 years
- Newsweek (February 2016) Cancer ‘visionary’ Stanislaw Burzynski stands trial for unprecedented medical malfeasance
- Skeptics for the Protection of Cancer Patients Facebook page
- The Houston Cancer Quack
- Wired: Elections Have Always Been Rigged, But Not Like Trump Says
Let us know what YOU want to hear about! Email credibilitypodcast(at)gmail.com. Please subscribe to the podcast and leave a positive review on Itunes. We’d really appreciate that.