A sad update to a very disturbing story that we reported on last year around this time and back in 2013. Two babies from the same family in India were treated for burns which the family alleged was the result of them spontaneously catching on fire multiple times. Media in India and around the world reported that cause as if it was factual. The children were never observed to catch on fire while under hospital care.
Baby Rahul was tested extensively in the hospital in 2013 before being released. They could not find anything unusual about him and ultimately did not come to a conclusion about how he was burned though there was a loose end we found that other villagers has problems with spontaneous fires possibly related to phosphorus in cow dung used as fuel. There was great suspicion that this was a case of abuse since spontaneous combustion of flesh is not possible. Medical officials had petitioned for protection of this child. Then, the story turned worse as Rahul’s seven day old brother was brought in for the same condition in 2015. Once again, the doctors could find nothing wrong and the child, Jeyaramachandran, was released from the hospital as the rest of us gaped in amazement that this type of incident could occur. Again. Rumors continued that this was a “genetic” problem. While calls for an investigation were made, once again, none was ever made. This child, aged 1, also called Sanjay in this article, was said to have been suffering from vomiting and diarrhea. He died en route to the hospital. The police have not registered a case for investigation. This type of death is probably very common in this area of the world.
Mysterious fires are frequently reported in India, Malaysia and Egypt. Often they are blamed on ghosts and evil spirits and that is found to be acceptable in some cultures. Obviously, the western world sees these as arson, accidents or abuse.