Zak’s Demon House docu gets delayed (UPDATE: House destroyed)

Nearly two years ago, Zak Bagans, flashy ghost investigator from TV Ghost Adventures, bought the “demon” house in Indiana days after it made sensational headlines in the tabloids and even in more reputable news outlets.

The story of Ammons family who lived in the house was that of a woman and her three children who claimed they experienced trouble in the house and were possessed by demons. The claims were a bit more complicated than that of a “haunted” house. Frankly, the lack of evidence, Hollywood-sounding possession, deep religious beliefs of the family, and their difficult situation and prior rental problems, led DN to conclude this story was not credible. However, the media latched on to the accounts related by the grandmother, the minister, a policeman, and some medical personnel as solid witnesses. None of these reports was authenticated as unexplainable. I know that sounds like discarding eyewitness testimony, but if you are going to claim you are possessed by the devil and invoke supernatural causes, you had BETTER have some mighty impressive ducks in a row, more than I know what I saw-type stuff. No other investigators were apparently allowed into the house.

Note the "figure" in the window. Photo: Hammond Police Dept.

The landlord did not support their claims, saying those living there before and after had no such issues. Into the scene strides Bagans to purchase what appears to be a small place in rough shape. But he believes in demons, the Bible and all that jazz, and he immediately concludes the place is for realz and dangerous. From early on, the potential for this story to be publicized was apparent. Off it rolled.

Bagans wrapped filming on his documentary called The Demon House in January 2015. The site Dread Central has some revealing tidbits in an update of November 2015. They report that movement on the film came to a halt as his crew was spooked, he said conditions in the house were unsafe and he called in a priest. (Oh, the drama.) Then, the former residents (not clear which ones) of the house were asked to return to the house and “demonic activity surfaced, which lead to one of the females on site speaking in tongues and exhibiting signs of demonic possession.” The film, originally set to run in fall of 2015 is now scheduled for 2016. There have been no further details made available via the twitter feed. Since then, it’s been crickets.

So, was it problems with the crew” (Nick Groff left.) Was it problems with the site? Or did they find nothing and need to figure out how to gas it up a bit? Whatever is going on behind the scenes, we’ll likely not know. I’d predict it will be just like his TV show where the drama appears manufactured, the scenes are overacted, and the “evidence” will only be impressive to those who already have an emotionally invested belief in the paranormal.

With the failure of “Exorcism: Live!” maybe Zak got the message that this demon idea may be a harder sell than he thought. Ghost Adventures continues in its 11th season. There has been no word if it will continue. Groff has moved on to another worthless chunk of time on Destination America called Paranormal Lockdown which sounds like MTV’s Fear Supersized but less original.

According to Zak: “There are things in this world that we will never fully understand. We want answers.” Well, they won’t come from a hyped-up TV documentary, I’m pretty certain about that.

UPDATE (20-Jan 2016) According to a local reporter, the house was torn down yesterday. There was no word of why (but we can think of various reasons besides “demons”. It’s also not clear if this will be part of Zak’s documentary.

Photo: John Delano, Northwest Indiana Gazette

Photo: John Delano, Northwest Indiana Gazette

34 comments for “Zak’s Demon House docu gets delayed (UPDATE: House destroyed)

1. Jann Jones-Hardin
    January 19, 2016 at 12:25 AM

I have watched “Ghost Adventures”, “Ghost Hunters”, and almost all of the shows, and so many are theatre, in my view. Zak and crew are camp . GH, with THREE left, seriously? Uh, time to clean house, networks. No more GA, GH, Kardashians, Kate and dozen, ….. Limit the items per genre. Wise them up. We viewers know fact( ghost!!) from fiction(blur).

2. Tom
    January 19, 2016 at 4:27 AM

Judging only by what I have read in your article American Demons seem to come generating media terror and big dollars. Over here in dear old blighty we seem to have a more refined, discreet, supernatural assembly, mainly confining their activities to our elegant stately homes and rectories and detesting bothersome investigators.

3. Dan Beach
    January 20, 2016 at 11:13 AM

I bet they won’t be real strong on what exactly happens to the “demons” after the house is torn down.

4. Dunditschia
    January 22, 2016 at 7:54 AM

If you watched it, the networks don’t really care if you believed it or not.

5. Vila Wolf
    January 23, 2016 at 3:19 AM

As a recovering catholic …. no one ever does “exorcisms” right. I’ve never seen one portrayed correctly. There are extremely specific rules that must be followed, such as the “demon” must expressly grant the priest permission to perform the rite or it just can’t be done. And there’s a week of fasting and ritual purification the priests have to do before hand – so even they don’t want to do it. There’s no “the power of Christ compels you” and there’s no throwing of holy water in someone face by the bottle. You basically just sit there quietly calling for the aid of the saints in a /very long/ list one by one and read psalms. You can easily google the complete text of the catholic rite for free. It’s as boring as it sounds. That’s how I know not a single youtube video (some actually use a spray bottle! bad!demon NO) or Ghost Hoaxers was as real as anyone claims. It’s all based off bad 60’s movies – and one good one that was actually a bit creepy – by people who’ve never seen the rite.

6. Adam
    January 26, 2016 at 4:38 AM

The house was probably less demon infested and more termite infest

7. jamesrav
    February 8, 2016 at 8:38 PM

I’ve never figured out why ghosts prefer dank basements, caves, and abandoned mental hospitals. Nobody has ever died and wanted to continue living rent-free in a nice beach bungalow in Santa Monica? I guess it just doesn’t fit the narrative, and this is all narrative.

8. Msmith
    February 12, 2016 at 4:46 AM

If GAC ever does stop I encourage Zack to continue his quest, so many interesting and educating information came from his lips and the people he’s met and historical landmarks that are now known to millions, and people they have helped over the many years. It all speak volumes beyond any staging that may or may not have occurred. I hope he at least continues because he has a loyal following that I don’t think will just turn their backs because of the aforementioned positives that viewers have been able to absorb through the years of GAC being there for us. And besides we’ve seen how Hollywood producers love to perverse genuine intentions of people’s original ideas.

9. February 12, 2016 at 11:05 AM

His quest for more attention? To encourage paranormal travel? I’m sorry, I have nothing positive to say about whatever Zak has accomplished. It hasn’t helped society but propagated more unsubstantiated belief and unwarranted fear.

10. Mark
    February 12, 2016 at 12:54 PM

Obviously, everyone knows our ghosts are die hard capitalists..

11. Mark
    February 27, 2016 at 11:38 PM

I have never understood these ghost shows where they show people walking and talking in the night or dark. I agree that the cable channels (A&E, Discovery, etc) want to make it dramatic for the ratings but after a while even the die-hard believers need to realize that there seems to be some kind of formula being used over and over again.

12. Heather
    March 2, 2016 at 6:39 PM

Real or fake, I do enjoy learning the history of the places he visits. I’m a history buff so that’s what draws me (especially fascinated by asylums, sanitariums, etc)

13. Brisais
    March 7, 2016 at 7:52 PM

That house could have been flipped! An investment property I’d say. What a waste .

14. Alex Monreal
    March 15, 2016 at 2:06 PM

You know what you are entitled to your opinion. But you will never believe in something until it happens to you. I’ve had my share of paranormal experiences starting with the passing of my Grandfather so maybe you shouldn’t be so quick to dismiss what you don’t know about and go out and explore for yourself. If you don’t believe that’s ok.

15. March 15, 2016 at 2:18 PM

It’s not just my opinion. Check the current state of parapsychology. They aren’t investigating ghosts and entities. Yep, you can believe whatever, but I’d rather not just believe stuff that’s not true, that is just personal perception. I’ve been “exploring”. For decades. I’m not the only one who has found nothing paranormal.

16. Nove Jobe
    March 17, 2016 at 12:18 PM

The so called “Demon house” as Zak Bagans chose to deemed it, located on Carolina Street in Gary, IN acted as a dybbuk box* for the angry Potawatomi Natives who had been murdered on that very land, for the ones that survived the brutal attack were relocated, by means of the “Trail of Death”. Does Zak Bagans realize by demolishing this dwelling that had been built in 1926 opened the neighborhood up for more violence; as if there weren’t enough already. There are at least 31 registered offenders within a mile radius of that location. How life for those residences is since the home was torn down by Zak Bagans? I would love for Mr. Bagans to answer that question, being he doesn’t seem to answer any other questions. This one is for the wellbeing of those he has placed in harm’s way; he did not help the situation by any means, he only made circumstances worse.

* What is a Dybbuk Box? The dybbuk box, or dibbuk box (Hebrew: קופסת דיבוק, Kufsat Dibbuk), is a wine cabinet which is said to be haunted by a dybbuk. A dybbuk is a restless, usually malicious, spirit believed to be able to haunt and even possess the living.

17. Nove Jobe
    March 17, 2016 at 12:19 PM

Would you have lived there?

18. March 17, 2016 at 12:22 PM

Nice story. Fiction though.

19. March 17, 2016 at 12:24 PM

No. It was a dump. But I would have liked to investigate the location. However, serious investigators were refused. They didn’t want the truth, they wanted a sensational story, clear from the beginning.

20. Nove Jobe
    March 17, 2016 at 12:49 PM

Thank you for your reply, I see you are a sceptic, that’s fine we all have our own opinions. However what I posted are based on facts. Look up Native Territories in Indiana, and the history of the Atchatchakangouen, Wea, Piankoshaw and Potawatomi Tribes.

21. March 17, 2016 at 1:18 PM

Again with the “opinion”…. Using science and reason is NOT just an opinion, it’s a reliable process of getting the best answer. Natives died or were killed in countless places. Are all of them haunted? How does this connect to the house? Why didn’t other tenants living there have problems? Why connect native Americans to a Hebrew tradition? They have plenty spiritual beliefs of there own. But all are beliefs, not facts. None of your story makes sense except as fiction. A “skeptic” as I subscribe to it (see Media Guide to Skepticism link above) is one who seeks verifiable evidence and applies reason to conclusions. It’s not an opinion.

22. Nove Jobe
    March 17, 2016 at 3:55 PM

You ask “How does this connect to the house?” As I said: It acted as “dybbuk box” so to speak. As far as your other question: Yes, as a matter of fact. Being of Native American descent myself, I have a strong belief that we are all walking with the spirits of our elders; whether it be Native Americans, the early settlers – mostly of European descent, Afro, Latino, Asian etc.
    Admittedly, I am a fan of Ghost Adventures and find the over dramatics dreadfully amusing, I do not see eye to eye with allot of what Zak Bagans has done for the sake of ratings. The point I am trying to make is that Mr. Bagans does not know what he is doing, and does not know what he is up against. In fact he is only aggravating an already bad situation for those who have to live in these areas. Ever heard of the old saying; “letting sleeping dogs lie”? No one is crossing over with his help, as he proclaims.
    Within regards to what others may believe in; this should be held sacred and not to be objected by outsiders. Could you imagine Native Americans walking in to someone’s church or home and begin the process of provoking? Again I respect that you are a skeptic, even skeptics have to have an open mind, or at least have some respect for another person’s ideologies.

Have a good Day “idoubtit”

23. March 17, 2016 at 5:42 PM

I am not provoking, you came here to my blog with your view. If you don’t like my view, you DON’T have to read it and can state your own opinion in your own forum. If someone like Zak (and many others) is to make a claim that there are demons in the house, he needs to do a lot more than make a TV show about it. You made an extraordinary claim as well and provided no evidence except for folklore and religious concepts. Sorry, that is useless. Like I said, your explanation is fiction and does not fit at all with what we know to be factual. I respect your rights to believe and practice that belief however you wish (within the law) but by no means do I have to accept a ridiculous, baseless explanation for a situation and “hold it sacred”. What a mess the world would be in if that was true!

I do agree on one point — Zak doesn’t know what he’s doing. But not for why you state.

24. Intrigued
    March 20, 2016 at 1:18 AM

Well idoubtit, I am now a fan of yours. I do enjoy watching GA but that’s not to say I believe everything I see. I do believe that there are some things that can’t be explained. I came here just curious about this “Demon House” docudrama. I have seen several places calling it a docudrama and I can only assume they are calling it that because the documentary didn’t come up with any evidence. Therefore, they have to explain it “hypothetically “.
    Anyway, I enjoy your writing and insight and will be following your blog. Thanks.

25. Olivia
    March 25, 2016 at 11:05 AM

Not everyone is Catholic. Therefore, not every exorcism is Catholic.
    I’ll leave that there.

26. March 25, 2016 at 2:55 PM
  27. Show
    March 27, 2016 at 9:33 AM

Go on a real paranormal investigation ……then have a opinion . I was a skeptic. No more. Seen, felt heard, photographed, video taped explainable paranormal evidence.

28. March 27, 2016 at 9:37 AM

I’ve been with paranormal investigators. As have other with non-paranormal viewpoints. We find nothing. There is nothing. This has been going on for a century! There is no evidence of ghosts or demons. I’d suggest you consult the book Scientific Paranormal Investigation by B. Radford. Check out my column Sounds Sciencey here. Also, if you know of any groups that want me to help on a case, let me know. I’ve offered but they don’t want answers, they want to reinforce their beliefs. So, I’m not wanted.

29. John
    April 2, 2016 at 11:50 PM

I think your blog and comments are pretty much right on the money. People want to believe things, so he (& the networks) exploit that. I have had a few things in my life, that can’t be explained. I can’t scientifically prove they happened either, but nonetheless, happened. Nothing like this show, or any like like this, but, pretty unexplainable. I think people watching this do think it’s truly science, and he is making them “fact”, which he truly is not.
    It is fun though.
    Thank u!

30. Sara
    April 9, 2016 at 12:08 AM

Why don’t we all get together and investigate a place. Problem solved, we all figure it out. Pick a place and let’s go.

31. April 10, 2016 at 9:17 PM

Funny how even in this case, skeptical investigators are not wanted. It ruins the “good” story if we aren’t going to jump at everything and call it “paranormal”. I’d also hate to say that there are so many hoaxers out there, there would not be a great guarantee that an investigation would not be rigged. It’s not just about investigation, it’s about basing your approach and conclusions on a sound foundation instead of speculation and belief.

32. April 10, 2016 at 9:28 PM

This is a moderated comments section. Baseless, ridiculous comments are not approved. Go write your own blog. http://doubtfulnews.com/about-doubtful-news/

33. Cris
    April 10, 2016 at 9:32 PM

ok listen.. i have no intention to rant or slam your belief i like your blog all i asked you was do you believe in scientific reasoning for the reason why people say Exercism isnt real? and that unexplained behaviour is just neurological and a combination of drugs and personal health issues… thats all i wanted to ask you I never said your wrong or i was trying to troll you…. and im not a bible thumper who thinks if u walk into a dark house ghosts and noises will appear im just as skeptic as you.. could yo not deleete my comment and awnser cause im trying to make it clear that im respecfully asking a question.

34. April 10, 2016 at 9:57 PM

Cris: Repeated commenting is really not a respectable means to get attention. But I will answer this comment you posed since you explained what you were looking for.

“do you believe in scientific reasoning for the reason why people say Exercism isnt real? and that unexplained behaviour is just neurological and a combination of drugs and personal health issues”

It’s not a matter of belief, it’s about evidence. The evidence of demon possession is weak – it’s personal observation of behaviors that can be faked or induced. I’m not saying people don’t think they are possessed because I’m sure they do think that. But after centuries of trying, we have not been able to show that demons are real, let alone conclude with certainty that they temporarily inhabit people and that we can do anything about that. I think you could gain a good bit by looking into the more academic research on belief in demon possession. The popular stuff in the bookstores and on TV is fiction, sensationalism and folklore. Human behavior might be a bit more incredible than you suspect without the need to bring the Devil into the picture. It doesn’t take invocation of a supernatural entity to explain cases of supposed demon possession and exorcisms. But, you have to actually dig to find what REALLY happened, not what someone says happened. Those stories will be very different.