Overreaction over California “UFO” continues: Alien or animal fetus?

Saturday night, just after sunset, the Los Angeles area was in a tizzy after a strange light appeared in the sky. According to media outlets, there were calls to emergency services and social media erupted with photos and videos as well as mad speculation. The official pronouncement, that it was a rocket launch, was not universally acceptable to the conspiracy-minded public. Understandably, the Trident II (D5) missile test flight was top secret so no warning could be given to the public beforehand that might have quelled a bit of the uproar. Good or bad, the view in the sky was more dramatic than anticipated, as was the public response. Check out the LA Times piece: UFO scares are the price we pay for secret missile tests, expert says.

Among the somewhat serious responses and the joking ones about alien invasion of the West Coast of the US, there appeared this picture and accompanying story that is getting some attention in the darker corners of the internet.

(Warning: graphic content)

cali-alien-animal-fetus

The story is that someone found this thing in San Jose, California after the UFO spotting. The UK tabloid Daily Star picked up the story.

With what appear to be two legs and some sort of face, the alien-type discovery looks as if it’s a prop from a freaky horror B-movie.

Perhaps it originated on Reddit/Imgur yesterday where the only caption is “Friend found this outside her house.” No mention of time or place.

Then, it also appeared on Facebook with the trope that “the man” wants it deleted.

Screen Shot 2015-11-09 at 12.20.45 PM

You didn’t use enough !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, dude!!!!!

The story was suddenly accompanied by the new details that it was in California and the finder: “…heard something scream at like 11.30 last night and went on my side yard and found this thing. It was dead when I found it.” The Express added that the scream was “blood curdling”. Don’t you love the “news”? Neither tabloid appeared to make any effort to determine the veracity of the story, they just repeated it.

The finding of the thing after the UFO sighting and upon hearing a scream is an unlikely story with no confirmation to back it up. It sounds spooky and looks gruesome so it gets passed along whether or not its credible. That the “UFO” was identified quite quickly SHOULD have scuttled the story. There is no reason to link that the missile launch with this weird creature. But that never stops a good viral tale, does it? Facts don’t slow it down. As we note so often, this is another effort to manufacture a good tale and make it spread as far as possible. It worked. As we post this, the piece is being picked up by several more outlets that will undoubtedly spend not a whit of time on thinking about the credibility of the story, but just pass it along with some added details to make it even more bizarre.

However, there is no reason to discount that someone really did come across this pathetic critter and took a picture. The most obvious and reasonable response is that it’s a miscarried animal fetus that has been partially eaten by a predator – nasty but common. The most probable animal named seems to be deer, though others suggest cow or lamb. You can see the animal has hoofs, not toes. The skin coloration looks dark in some patches around the neck such that it could have black and white coloration of a cow. But with no reliable information on the location of where it was found, we can’t say much more.

One thing IS for certain: it’s not an alien. It is most definitely just a normal terrestrial animal of some kind in an abnormal situation.

18 comments for “Overreaction over California “UFO” continues: Alien or animal fetus?

1. Tony
    November 9, 2015 at 1:03 PM

A new mutant strain of click bait or a previously unknown form?

2. CriticalDragon1177
    November 9, 2015 at 1:05 PM

I don’t think that’s an alien, but it definitely looks disgusting.

3. Tom
    November 9, 2015 at 3:27 PM

I’m reading this story while listening to the song ‘My Alien’ by Simple Plan. Makes me laugh… lol 🙂

4. Rich
    November 9, 2015 at 4:17 PM

I was going to suggest deer foetus, only a partially eaten deer foetus (the body aft of the front limbs is missing, as is the front of the muzzle). I am no biologist, though, and it means I have now done a google image search for ‘deer foetus’ and frankly I’m not in a hurry to repeat it.

(If it is an alien, though, they must have *tiny* spaceships, and how do they work the controls with those little hooves?)

5. Sarah
    November 9, 2015 at 4:36 PM

The photos are believed to be of an aborted cow. It was found in Missouri (I believe). The original finders still have it. They even spoke to their local news about it. All this happened prior to the rocket launch.

6. Jenn
    November 9, 2015 at 6:59 PM

I completely agree with the deer fetus theory. Although if it is indeed an alien fetus there’s no way of knowing the evolution of the creature as we do humans in the womb. It could definitely change drastically from whatever point it’s at until birth. Just speculation. But I do not think this is an alien.

7. November 9, 2015 at 7:20 PM

Links would be appreciated since that makes a lot of sense.

8. November 9, 2015 at 7:58 PM

Same ol’ stuff, yeah. Shortly after we posted this, I saw it was up on Snopes as well with the EXACT same photos and take on it. Oh well.

9. Jjabrahms
    November 9, 2015 at 8:02 PM

I work with cows daily. Have for a long time. I’ve seen them aborted early and late and this isn’t like an aborted cow in any way. Still don’t believe it’s alien. But it’s not a calf.

10. Crissy
    November 9, 2015 at 10:36 PM

It’s an aborted pig.

11. Hiram
    November 10, 2015 at 2:16 AM

Speaking from inexperience, I wonder if these dead “aliens” are teratogen – affected miscarried fetuses. Certainly biologists (skeptical ones) should be able to tell, if they have the time for such trivial stuff.

12. Hiram
    November 10, 2015 at 2:17 AM

Actually perhaps not all that trivial, if you are a biologist.

13. Ariel
    November 10, 2015 at 2:26 PM

Deer fetus

14. Rook
    November 10, 2015 at 9:22 PM

I’m no pig expert, but I think the neck looks a just bit too long to belong to a pig.

15. Amarok
    November 11, 2015 at 3:44 PM

Early development stage of an artiodactyl foetus (even-hooved mammal). I’d say it’s a lamb rather than a calf, because of the slender legs, and rather than a deer because of the patchy coloration (some sheeps have large black patches, but there isn’t any species of deer this pattern of color, except, maybe, for reindeers). Here is a link to a lamb foetus pic (beware, graphic), for comparison:https://www.flickr.com/photos/saintmurse/68164140.

Btw, considering the early development stage, it was probably already dead when it came to birth, so this “scream” story is indeed very unlikely.

16. Hans Moleman
    November 12, 2015 at 8:59 AM

It’s a video, but the relevant part starts at around 1:42 or so.

17. Loren Petrich
    November 15, 2015 at 12:53 AM

It ought to be possible to take some samples of it for sequencing some of its genes. That should indicate which species it was, and maybe even more details.

If it was an ET, then attempting gene sequencing will likely fail, because it would likely have some heredity molecule that’s incompatible with Earth organisms’ ones: DNA and RNA.

18. Richard uk
    January 19, 2016 at 1:20 PM

If I had stumbled on this, the last thing that I would have thought of was that it was alien or at least some mysterious unknown creature..I would have just assumed it was a regular animal in some sort of condition or injury that caused its death….same with that Montauk thing was it? or that obvious Sloth with no hair found by the kids in a cave in south america or somewhere or other and as for Bigfoot,best I keep my mouth shut. But then I am of the older generation that reached 40 before Diana’s death,Tony Blair,Dubya ,Youtube and Twitter so I like to think that I’m not easily fooled.