Self-styled “psychic medium” John Edward to return to TV

In “what the HELL are they thinking” news, medium John Edward may have scored another TV show. Deadline reports that Edward is partnering with a production company on a new paranormal series.

The show is tentatively called “One Last Time” and will feature “Edward randomly reading a group of families looking to connect with their lost loved ones.”

Hmm, color me completely DOUBTFUL of Edward and his schtick. “Edward and his grief team will provide them with the opportunity to see and speak to their loved ones using exclusive technology.” Grief team? That sounds awfully exploitive. What “exclusive technology”? Where’s the scientific paper on this? Yeeahhh…. sounds like a cheap, sciencey gimmick.

No details, such as network or air date, are given.

Edward is a typical TV psychic. He talks fast and in vague terms, fishing for hits. Obviously, TV is edited so we don’t see all the misses. This technique remarkably resembles good old cold reading. Or, spirits speak in very unclear terms. He’s also been subject to accusations of hot reading by Time and Dateline (NBC).

It’s no news that audiences find Edward convincing. I guess television producers eat that stuff up with no scruples about taking advantage of those who are grieving lost loved ones. Pretty sickening.

See also: John Edward: Spirit Huckster

10 comments for “Self-styled “psychic medium” John Edward to return to TV

1. Bob
    October 20, 2015 at 11:03 PM

They’ve already picked up Massengill as a sponsor.

2. Lagaya1
    October 21, 2015 at 1:27 AM

Ha! Hilarious!!!

3. Joe R
    October 21, 2015 at 8:22 AM

Had to watch the South Park episode after reading this. Love this exchange after Stan sees Edward’s show and visits him at home:

Stan: Look my friend Kyle won’t fly back home to Colorado. All I need is for you to just talk to him and tell him, you know, the whole talking to dead people isn’t for real.
    John Edward: Maybe it is for real.
    Stan: Right. But it’s not. It’s a trick that you do and I need you to let my friend Kyle know that so he can go on with his life.
    JE: Look, people have the right to be skeptical. I really hear voices in my head.
    Stan: Yes, we all hear voices in our head. It’s called intuition. Get over yourself and tell my friend it’s just for fun.
    JE: What I do doesn’t hurt anybody. I give people closure and help them cope with life.
    Stan: No, you give them false hope and a belief in something that isn’t real.
    JE: But I’m a psychic.
    Stan: No, dude, you’re a douche.
    JE: I’m NOT a douche! What if I really do believe dead people talk to me?
    Stan: Then you’re a stupid douche.

4. Mike C.
    October 21, 2015 at 9:07 AM

“Edward and his grief team will provide them with the opportunity to see and speak to their loved ones using exclusive technology.” I wonder what kind of silly useless gadget with flashing LEDs will be used

5. Adam
    October 22, 2015 at 4:40 AM

This parody of TV psychics called “paraside” is pretty funny:

6. Sean A. Elliott
    October 22, 2015 at 7:59 PM

What are they thinking? I believe they are thinking its cheap to produce, people will watch, and most importantly: they can sell advertising. The vast majority of televised content is nothing more than a vehicle for advertising. That said, this fellow is as oily as they come. He is an opportunist preying on the desperate and credulous. I think people do bear some of the responsibility for their beliefs, after all, there is no reason to believe this man communicates with the dead.

7. Rita
    October 22, 2015 at 8:34 PM

I immediately thought of this South Park episode too. It puts everything in perspective and had my family and me howling. I wonder if John Edward sued after it aired.

8. Richard
    November 1, 2015 at 10:53 AM

“Mrs. Campbell Call Miss Cleo Psychic Hotline”

This takedown of Psychics is a classic.

9. JeannieinNJ
    January 14, 2016 at 3:32 AM

If memory serves me correct, he admitted he was not a psychic on the Steve Harvey show a few years ago. One lady in the audience really was not paying attention to what was being said and wanted a reading! Guess it is time for John Edwards to make some more money. It was classic….Steve Harvey just scratched his head and his audience laughed! Some people just “want to believe”.

10. January 14, 2016 at 8:05 AM

I’d need proof of that. It should be all over the internet. I doubt he would admit that unless it was some sort of dodge.