Destination America now the haven of paranormal programming

Last year at this time, SyFy gave up the ghost on new paranormal programming. That slack has been taken up with a vengeance by Destination America, a cable and satellite channel owned by Discovery Communications that features lifestyle, historical and travel programming focusing on the culture of the United States. From their lineup, paranormal themes play a huge role in American culture. The self titled “#1 home for paranormal programming”  have or currently run Mountain Monsters, A Haunting, Alaska Monsters, Alaska Haunting, Ghost Asylum, Amish Haunting, Ghost Stalkers, Ghost Encounters, Hauntings and Horrors, Ghosts in my House, When Ghosts Attack, Monsters and Mysteries in America, Monsters Underground, UFOs Over Earth, Unsealed: Alien Files.

GAH!!!

And they have just added another one and specials just for Halloween time!

Destination America Announces Upcoming Paranormal Programming Premieres

A Haunting starts season 8, Ghost Asylum starts season 2. As we previously noted, a really ridiculous sounding house “exorcism” is set for Friday, October 30.

Destination America seems determined to make us believe demons are a dollar a dozen in the US of A.

A new show, The Demon Files, is set to premier:

Ralph Sarchie’s life is divided between two very different worlds. In one he’s a decorated sergeant for the NYPD who proudly protected and served his city for over 18 years. In the other he’s a highly regarded demonologist, helping real American families who fear they may be threatened by the demonic. His book Beware the Night details how he uses his cop-hardened savvy to combat supernatural evil at every turn and served as the inspiration for the 2014 movie Deliver Us from Evil. Now in THE DEMON FILES, Sarchie and his team travel across the country meeting with people apparently suffering from demonic activity.

Screen Shot 2015-10-05 at 8.39.11 PM

“Apparently” is the operative word there. This show sounds like a step beyond Paranormal State which was thick with the threat of demons. (Whenever demon infestations are thrown around on U.S. TV, watch for Lorraine Warren to appear.)

Sarchie is a NYPD cop who has taken on the role of “demonologist” to deal with demonic “perps”. Demons are criminals and exorcism is the “spiritual equivalent of an arrest”. Sarchie’s book “Deliver Us from Evil” was “sanctimonious pomp and exaggeration” (so said me). He is ultra religious, everything is about God. Be prepared for angels and demons everywhere, Satan’s hand is behind all things bad, which is terribly over-simplistic with regards to crime, poverty and human troubles. Maybe Sarchie will describe the color of people’s auras while he pulls out his piece of the “true cross” to drive away evil. If the show is anything like how he describes his work in the book, it will be more fantasy fiction than crime drama.

It’s sad that a channel that COULD be exploring the rich tapestry of America culture gets stuck in the muck of paranormal garbage instead.

28 comments for “Destination America now the haven of paranormal programming

1. October 5, 2015 at 9:02 PM

“he’s a highly regarded demonologist” – highly regarded by whom ? Frankly, anyone who calls themselves a demonologist loses immediate respect in my book. If he charges money for providing these “services” he should be charged with fraud.

2. MD
    October 5, 2015 at 9:46 PM

This is a deeply worrying trend – the idea that an alleged Law Enforcement Officer not only has extreme and dangerous beliefs, but is actively encouraged to carry them out in this manner is genuinely frightening. This is almost Medieval in its implications, especially when the real social issues behind crime are ignored.

The Christian Right in the US does seem to be spreading this kind of thing, across social media as well as TV and other media.

3. terry the censor
    October 6, 2015 at 2:50 AM

> The self titled “#1 home for paranormal programming” have or currently run…

I copied that list of show titles into Word, removed the punctuation and conjoining words, sorted what was left into a column, then started slapping the terms together, more or less randomly. Here’s what I got in under five minutes:

America Ghost Asylum
    Alien Haunting Horrors
    When Unsealed Files Attack
    Monster Mountain Mysteries
    UFOs Over House Encounters
    Underground Earth Stalkers

I hereby present my proposals for the Summer 2016 replacement show slate at Destination America. I only ask $10K for each five-year option plus 10% of the property if produced, with onscreen credit.

Don’t like those? I can have another 20 tomorrow.

4. terry the censor
    October 6, 2015 at 2:54 AM

> anyone who calls themselves a demonologist loses immediate respect

Let me introduce you to Teri Lynge, Florida MUFON assistant state director…a ufologist and demonologist!

(Hat tip to Jack Brewer for the link.)

5. Neels Conradie
    October 6, 2015 at 3:10 AM

It’s because of comments like those that we need a “Like” button here! Thanks Terry, made my day.

6. Lagaya1
    October 6, 2015 at 3:14 AM

A&E also has a lot of this garbage. I can’t mute the commercials fast enough.

7. busterggi (Bob Jase)
    October 6, 2015 at 7:53 AM

It’s as if the network was dedicated to a 24/7 marathon of Scooby-Doo but dumbed down.

8. Haldurson
    October 6, 2015 at 8:38 AM

At least in Scooby Doo, you’d find out at the end that the evil demon or monster haunting the amusement park was actually Mean Mr. Warren in a rubber mask. If the similar things happened in this show, it might actually be watchable.

9. Christine Rose
    October 6, 2015 at 9:50 AM

What’s really depressing is how boring these shows are. Everything is mundane and obviously faked. Excitement is when the TV crew conspires to fool the “investigators” and the audience laughs at them. I’ve often said that if the real world had as much evidence as a single X-Files episode all us Agent Scullys would have gone over to the believing side years ago.

10. One Eyed Jack
    October 6, 2015 at 11:25 AM

Having a Tim Minchin moment now.

If you’re going to watch tele, you should watch Scooby Doo.
    That show was so cool
    because every time there’s a church with a ghoul
    Or a ghost in a school
    They looked beneath the mask and what was inside?
    The f’ing janitor or the dude who runs the water slide.

– Tim Minchin, Storm.

11. One Eyed Jack
    October 6, 2015 at 11:28 AM

Personally, I believe it’s a conspiracy to provide programming so bad that people will demand the return of Jersey Shores and Here Comes Honey Boo Boo.

Please, NO!

12. Sean A. Elliott
    October 6, 2015 at 10:03 PM

Sadly, they are just giving people what they want. If no one watched these shows, they wouldn’t bother producing them. I don’t see it as any worse than Storage Wars, American Pickers, or any of the rest of the reality show nonsense. Look at popular music, blockbuster movies, novels etc..our culture has a bottomless appetite for drivel.

13. Arlene
    October 6, 2015 at 11:59 PM

Ralph Sarchie is a personal friend and co worker and does not charge for his services as a demonologist

14. Tracy
    October 7, 2015 at 6:51 AM

i am sad that I no longer get Destination America. I love watching these shows….Ok, ok I make fun of them, and this sounds like the perfect addition to make fun of! The book was so irritating that I wanted to throw it across the room at least once and I was swearing when the cop revealed his gullibility in thinking he had a piece of “the one, true cross”.

15. busterggi (Bob Jase)
    October 7, 2015 at 7:57 AM

So can he get a succubus for me? I’ll pay for the shipping of course.

16. Christine Rose
    October 7, 2015 at 10:33 AM

These shows are common because they are very cheap to produce and make more than they cost. So long as that’s the case, people will make them. They are not necessarily popular or profitable compared to, say, Game of Thrones. The latter is kind of self-limiting in that there are only so many people who can make content at that level of quality.

17. Rich
    October 8, 2015 at 2:41 PM

I read that at ‘UFOs Over Horse Encounters.’

Which doesn’t seem any more stupid…

18. Fuzza Majumula
    October 9, 2015 at 6:25 AM

You just made my day! Maybe my week! I can’t stop laughing!

19. October 26, 2015 at 4:17 PM

I would like these shows to have a disclaimer to say that they’re scripted

20. Woody Schuler
    October 28, 2015 at 10:40 AM

Unfortunately, there are things out there that happen to a person or family that involve things that are strange and unexplainable and out of desperation, that family agrees to ask for help of people who claim they can help.
    To all of those families or people, take my advice, deal with it quietly and in your own way. To invite TV cameras in your home and have your lives scrutinized and children and loved ones traumatized by this spectacle is something I shall regret for the rest of my time on earth. Trust me on this one.

21. Ana Lawson
    November 11, 2015 at 9:32 PM

I beg to disagree with you that the “Christain Right” is spreading this kind of thing” across social media. TV, or anywhere else for that matter. Of course I’m sure that there are extremists out there who purport to be in the business of paranormal investigation and/or “Ghostbusting”, LoL For the most part, I have found that the exact opposite is true. In my research and experience with REAL people of any Christian based faith, serious followers of Christianity do not concern themselves with anything of the paranormal realm. To the contrary, the majority have always discouraged any interest in the these type things. Many well known religious figures today, as well as key contributors of the Bible , speak of avoiding any contact with such things. The Roman Catholic Church is even reluctant to offer public comments or opinions regarding such matters. If you’re aware of any REAL mainstream Christian based organizations who actively and openly endorse this type thing, please give names and websites if possible.

22. Rocco
    November 15, 2015 at 11:15 PM

This guy angers me. He preys on ignorant, confused people. Its very sad this has become the new trend. Dated religion and its dogma sells right now when it comes to paranormal shows. Hopefully, it’ll run it’s course. I don’t think these people realize the damage they are doing to people.

23. Haldurson
    November 16, 2015 at 9:31 AM

“I don’t think these people realize the damage they are doing to people.”
    I think much of the time it is willful ignorance, rather than true ignorance. It’s sometimes convenient to believe that you are doing more good than harm, or that it’s for entertainment purposes, or you are getting a nice paycheck. But you don’t actually want to know the truth about it because that would blow your whole self-image (it’s cognitive dissonance). There’s often a whole lot of incentive for self-deception.

Then again, I could be wrong — maybe he’s just an a-hole who realizes that, but doesn’t care.

24. MAL
    November 16, 2015 at 12:28 PM

This is now AFAIK, the third paranormal “investigation” show with a former cop in the spotlight, the others being Paranormal Cop and Dead Files.

My guess is that these shows attempt to legitimize themselves and provide some tough guy bravado by having a law enforcement officer on the show.

But the piece of the cross? I remember seeing those in novelty catalogs for $2.49 when I was a teen.

25. MAL
    November 16, 2015 at 12:34 PM

Thanks, Terry.

What you did reminds me of those games where you take different letters from your name and make funny sayings from them. I should make one where you put in your initials and it comes up with the name of your own paranormal show.

“Unsealed Files Attack” had me lmao. (8^D

26. Mike
    December 5, 2015 at 6:50 PM

I’m all for open minded investigations and I haven’t seen this show yet, but if it’s anything like the other shows quoted here then I won’t waste my time. Some of those shows (I’ve only seen a few of them) are so bad it’s insulting. The actors and producers in complete and total fabrications like “Monster Hunters” should be drawn and quartered. Why do we need shows like this? The problem is we have too many people that are just so atrociously dumb that they can’t see why or how they’re being hoodwinked by these people and their horribly scripted shows. It’s not hard to see the difference between shows like this and shows that at least try to give you some honest investigation. I’m not so closed minded that I dismiss any possibility that there are things out there that our science knows nothing about, it’s hard to believe how close minded some scientists can be. Just like the scientists from hundreds of years ago that thought their hypotheses were fact. Eventually we see the truth and wonder how anyone can convince themselves how right they are. Unfortunately it’s not hard to see the truth behind this cable channel and it’s horrible shows.

27. RC
    December 27, 2015 at 8:57 PM

People are making so many false assumptions and conclusions about Ralph Sarchie and the work that he does. He could be Mother Theresa and people would still call him an a-hole. The reason why you may notice a couple cops in this work is because they have the investigative skills to determine whether what’s going on is valid or not and they have been brave enough to encounter some of the most despicable crimes known to man in their police work. You really need to know what you’re dealing with when you do paranormal/ demonology work. But more often than not, these men/ women are usually led into this type of work. Normally, they would never just decide on a whim to beat down some demons or investigate ghosts. Usually, they’re called into it by others many times over a long period, before they ever decide to really volunteer they’re help full time or take the lead. It takes years of experience. No sane human being, especially with families, would ever “want” to go into demonology. And they do not get paid by the people calling on them for help. Demonology, occult, any sort of witchcraft/ magic, psychic work, paranormal work and exorcisms are definitely dangerous. Even psychics will tell you that they never “wanted” this gift, but they were destined anyway to receive it and have to deal with it very, very carefully. Besides, Ralph most likely talks about his demonology work, not to get people paranoid, but to expose the dirty truth for what it is. He has gotten so much backlash as a police officer and demonologist for years and years, he could care less what other people think. That never stopped him as a cop and it certainly cannot stop him as a demonologist genuinely seeking to help others. And he is not bringing any danger to anyone’s home. People have enough stupidity to bring spiritual danger to themselves, if they don’t know how to protect themselves or dabble in things they shouldn’t. Just like you would try everything you can to avoid poison, you want to do the same for the rest of your life.

28. Bob Jase
    December 29, 2015 at 10:07 AM

First – Mother Teresa was an asshole who enjoyed the suffering of others as it glorified her imaginary friend in the sky, she did nothing to cure or heal people just kept them alive to keep suffering.

Second – demons, ghosts, etc. do not exist and therefore are not dangerous.