Unwelcome hitchhiker surprises woman driving down the highway

You can imagine the stress caused by this episode. Even people not freaked out by snakes would have been rattled.

Beckie Kistler said she was driving down Interstate 485 on Wednesday when the snake slid down the driver’s side door toward her steering wheel.

Source: Woman finds copperhead sliding down door while driving on highway

The details on this story are nil but the video at this link help flesh it out. The snake crawled along the driver-side door startling the women who was driving in traffic. She managed to pull over and exit the car. Animal control recovered a small copperhead, a venomous snake, coiled up in her glove compartment. It’s possible that the snake entered the car via the wheel wells. While this story is unsettling, it’s extremely rare. However, do watch for cats that may hide inside the car.

Copperhead adult Agkistrodon contortrix

Copperhead adult. Agkistrodon contortrix

8 comments for “Unwelcome hitchhiker surprises woman driving down the highway

1. Ronald H. Pine
    September 18, 2015 at 7:21 PM

I love the fact that that picture of the snake from “Snakes around the Charlotte area” is of an African Ball Python. Probably someone just took a portrait shot of their pet, but I suppose that it could have been an escapee.

2. Lagaya1
    September 18, 2015 at 7:49 PM

My father always said that you would usually smell copperheads before you saw them, but I forget what he said they smelled like. Maybe freshly mowed grass? Does anyone know?

3. Mark Riegel
    September 18, 2015 at 11:26 PM

Cucumbers. Freshly cut ones.

4. Lagaya1
    September 19, 2015 at 12:55 AM

Ah, thanks, Mark.

Does that mean that if you have a copperhead in your salad, you might not know it?

5. bean
    September 19, 2015 at 11:49 AM

Maybe some wacko doesn’t like her? Hm.

6. Chris
    September 19, 2015 at 3:54 PM

“However, do watch for cats that may hide inside the car.”

A college friend of ours almost crashed while driving when a ferret popped on to her lap. Apparently it had been in a shoe box that someone placed in the open window over night.

She and her husband adopted the ferret. It turned out to have epilepsy, and lived for just another three or so years. They suspect someone just did not want to deal with an epileptic ferret, and decided that a college student’s car was as good a place as any to get rid of it.

7. Mark Riegel
    September 20, 2015 at 11:17 AM

Check that jar of kosher dills in your refrigerator, too.

8. Carol
    September 21, 2015 at 4:24 PM

The other day I got in my Jeep, started it up, buckled up, rolled down the window, and started looking around and behind me before backing up. At the top of my window frame was a big white spider, about the size of a half-dollar. I screamed blue murder. If a snake ever fell on me while I was driving, I would probably crash.