The great and Doctorful Oz changing his show tune

After he was grilled in congress and faced critical professional backlash, Dr. Oz met with physicians groups across the country to see what he could to fix his TV doctor reputation. Apparently, what he learned will result in changes to his show, about to enter its 7th season.

What he didn’t realize was how he’d become a symbol for a development in health care that many doctors feel threatened by. Patients today often go for check-ups after Googling for information on what ails them or listening to advice from their favorite television doctor. In some respects, it intrudes on the physician-patient relationship, and Oz said he understands how irritating that can be.

Oz has taken steps to mend fences, hiring a doctor to improve his show’s communication with the medical community. Since many doctors hear their patients quote Oz but don’t know what he actually said, the outreach effort will make it easier for them to find out, and will alert specialists when the show addresses topics in the area of their expertise.

Source: Mehmet Oz returning with ‘heal thyself’ goal

Interesting. It would be short-sighted and self-defeating if we don’t consider that a doctor with a media outlet can make a huge different in public health. Dr. Oz has often been public enemy No. 1 for science-based medicine advocates because of his promotion of fad diet treatments and various forms of quackery on his show. Will that now end? Hmm.

This AP story says he will not pimp diet aids any more and will make each segment a bit longer. I guess we’ll see if singing a new, more conservative tune will pull Dr. Oz out of the downward spiral.

15 comments for “The great and Doctorful Oz changing his show tune

1. Barry
    September 14, 2015 at 8:43 AM

Eh? Dr. Oz has hired a doctor?

2. Dana
    September 14, 2015 at 9:10 AM

I was thinking that, too. He *is* a doctor, but he needs a doctor to consult with on his tv doctoring. I used to like him when he first started. After awhile, though, the ridiculous infomercial like qualities became more and more blatant, so I couldn’t take him seriously. He brought a lot of attention to women’s health issues in the beginning. It’d be great if he could get back to doing things like that again.

3. September 14, 2015 at 11:45 AM

Speaking of women’s health issues, Dana, I was dismayed to see that my CBS Sunday Morning recording device apparently latched onto a 30-minute CBS infomercial (“Meaningful Beauty”) promoted by Cindy Crawford. Not realizing at first that it was going to be 30 freakin’ minutes, I didn’t immediately fast-forward to the show I wanted. Consequently I had the dismal experience of watching the miracle skin treatment that keeps women’s skin looking 20-30 years younger. And they even had the chutzpah to say “If one of the world’s top SUPER MODELS uses it, it has to be effective.”

Crawford, dubbed “THE MOST BEAUTIFUL WOMAN IN THE WORLD” in the infomercial, has admitted having a variety of cosmetic treatments including botox as well as plastic surgery over the years but swears by the super-secret melon ingredient developed by Dr. Jean-Louis Sebagh. In the informercial, Sebagh shows two melons side by side in stop motion sequence where the ordinary melon begins rotting and the rare French melon retains its youthful glow.

I’m thinking the only thing missing is a Dr Oz endorsement. But since the “doctor franchise” on this is already taken, he has nothing to gain by promoting a French botox doctor and the most beautiful woman in the world.

4. David B
    September 14, 2015 at 12:12 PM

I’ll believe it when I hear about it from people who actually see it. You might say I’m doubtful.

5. Lagaya1
    September 14, 2015 at 2:06 PM

On first reading this, I thought he intended to alert doctors about his shows topics in order to school the doctors about them. That may be what it means, I’m not sure. The man’s ego is unbelievable, so it may be. And as far as credibility, he’s like a game show doctor. The fact that his audience is mostly women, well, as a woman I find that really embarrassing.

6. GrahamH
    September 14, 2015 at 3:26 PM

Oz is hiring a spin doctor perhaps :).

7. drwfishesman
    September 14, 2015 at 3:36 PM

This is the same guy who called Steve Novella “arrogant” for suggesting that Oz do exactly what he’s planning on doing. Wow.

8. L /Barth
    September 14, 2015 at 4:42 PM

@jweeds… And doesn’t that “rare” melon look a lot like a cantaloupe?

9. One Eyed Jack
    September 14, 2015 at 5:11 PM

Perhaps he thought it was time to get someone qualified to give medical advice involved in his show

10. One Eyed Jack
    September 14, 2015 at 5:24 PM

I got a pocket full of kryptonite!

11. September 14, 2015 at 8:11 PM

I don’t recall seeing even a snippet of Dr. Oz’s TV show, though I’ve seen his “You: An Owners Manual” book series on supermarket shelves, so all I know is he’s a TV icon.

But (stepping up on my Hobby Horse) my concern and suspicion is that he’s like Dr. Phil (a bit of a mental health/psychology/self-help guru, and I actually saw a few episodes of his show circa 15 years ago) in promoting 12-step programs for alcoholism, drug addiction, and other things for which it’s commonly known there are 12-step programs. If he has done so, I really doubt any of these physicians groups told him NOT to promote or suggest 12-step programs, but I would be glad to be shown wrong.

From the article link:

“Oz distributes a detailed outline of themes for his new season (diet aids not among them). “The Healthy Mind Project” will delve into the areas of mental health, addiction and happiness.”

Well, it looks like we’ll find out what he says about addiction and what to do about it. I probably won’t be watching, but I’ll likely hear about it.

12. Cat from MA
    September 15, 2015 at 3:35 AM

The wording in the post sounds to me like the change would not be to fact-check his show material but to get it more publicized in the legitimate medical community so that physicians will not be caught off-guard when their own patients lecture them about the pronouncements of the incredible Dr Oz. I don’t see reason for optimism. Dr Oz has gone so far into the fringe, I wonder whether he is truly deluded. I used to think it was just ego and profit, now I wonder.

13. Lagaya1
    September 15, 2015 at 1:35 PM

Thank you for better articulating the thoughts I was trying to write. I think that’s exactly right.

14. Adam
    September 17, 2015 at 8:03 AM

I’ll start believing a beauty product has transformative powers when they get some frump to use it and the results are demonstrable and visible. Super models? Not so much.

15. John
    September 21, 2015 at 1:55 PM

Just saw Good Housekeeping with Oz on the cover.
    Didn’t notice what month – might have been old.
    Regardless of age, the questionable reputation of that magazine drops even lower.