Radio host booted for dumb comments on “hoaxed” shootings

A (former) radio personality says the Roanoke shooting was a hoax to advance gun control. He was kicked off the air.

A local radio station employee who was suspended for suggesting on air that the recent shooting deaths of two Virginia journalists caught on tape were a hoax is not backing down from his remarks and has quit his job.

In follow-up comments made on social media, the employee, Rick Kennedy — who goes by the on-air name Rick Masters — said he stands by his comments made on the Sunday morning call-in show “Cracker Barrel” and that his suspension was unfair.

On Friday, he told the News-Leader he still believes the shooting was faked.

“There is no question in my mind it’s a hoax,” said Kennedy…

Source: Radio employee quits after hoax comments, reasserts view that shooting of journalists was fake

It’s not unfair to be fired for saying something thoughtless and STUPID on a privately-owned radio station. The company rightfully did not want such garbage spouted in the air. Kennedy could not answer why this would be hoax. He also thinks Sandy Hook was a hoax to crack down on guns. Gee, where’s our gun control legislation, then? Did they take your guns yet? Your argument is illogical, paranoid, and inhuman. If you plan to make such OUTRAGEOUS claims, you have to have considerably more robust evidence than “I’m convinced.”

Kennedy is looking for another job in radio. There are plenty of loudmouths who get air time and attention in other places for their insane ranting. Free speech is fine, but when that means outright lies used to whip up paranoia, fear and hateful accusations, then you have crossed a line.

Tip: Mark David Leslie

11 comments for “Radio host booted for dumb comments on “hoaxed” shootings

1. September 23, 2015 at 9:19 AM

People like that seem to have this “it’s a conspiracy” as their default explanation for everything. They live in a world where everyone is suspect, everything is not as it seems, and the government is spying on them constantly. How uncomfortable it must be for them to live like that!

The problem, of course, as you pointed out, is when they are in positions to spout off their delusions to a lot of people, via radio or what-have-you. This can sometimes lead to people acting out and causing yet another tragedy like the “hoaxes” this guy claims – mass shootings of innocent people.

Sad. And dangerous.

2. Lagaya1
    September 23, 2015 at 1:30 PM

The show was really named “Cracker Barrel”? Why, oh, why?

3. Mike C.
    September 24, 2015 at 8:24 AM

I came across some YouTube videos making that stupid claim too. Every time there’s some shooting that makes big news there’s always some idiots claiming it was a hoax.

4. Steve
    September 24, 2015 at 3:35 PM

Does this guy really believe the nonsense he is spouting? Why do these particular nut jobs (I mean nut jobs that claim mass shootings are hoaxes) always seem to be male? I’m wondering if this guy believes it, I mean his radio show is called “Cracker Barrel.”

5. Headless Unicorn Guy
    September 27, 2015 at 2:25 PM

Truth in Advertising?

6. Massachusetts
    September 27, 2015 at 9:30 PM

I replied on social media to disagree about conspiracy-theory comments (that the unease the U.S. has with Russian involvement in Syria is proof that that the U.S. is secretly supporting ISIS.) I simply asked him to please provide the source of the information leading to this statement.

The person making the assertion got super ad hominem, insisted that I was “one of those people who only gets information online and never reads newspapers,” then demanded to know my work history, asserting that I clearly was a shill for the U.S. government and military, and presented me with a list of his business achievements, demanding that I follow suit.

7. Rich
    September 29, 2015 at 9:28 AM

Fantastic. It’s sometimes breathtaking to watch the conspiracy mind leaping and cavorting, just to see the amazing knots it makes in logic and reason.

– Because the ‘hoax revealed’ news was in *all* of those newspapers you obviously don’t read. That sort of thing wouldn’t be found anywhere as notoriously unreliable as the internet.

– Because if you did spend five years in deep cover for the CIA’s chemtrails division, you just wouldn’t be able to conceal it while writing an internet comment about your work history.

– Because if he’s more successful in business (and again, who would ever lie about things on the internet?) he is more correct than you.

8. Massachusetts
    October 26, 2015 at 10:50 AM

Sorry for the late reply.

The guy seemed said that my request that he give the source for his claim was equivalent to his demand that I provide my work history, and said he won’t comply unless I did! Basically it was building an escape hatch so he didn’t have to give a source, suggesting to me one probably didn’t exist. And he had a picture of himself holding a credit card which he claimed to have invented, or what ever the term is, and there was an “I’m more credible and serious than you so don’t dare question me” feel to it, but also a strong sense of desperation, as I interpreted it.

9. Massachusetts
    October 26, 2015 at 10:52 AM

Sorry, I didn’t edit that correctly. I wish there was an edit feature here.

10. October 26, 2015 at 12:06 PM

I do have a plugin to edit comments but apparently is not working. I will look into a fix.

11. Massachusetts
    October 26, 2015 at 6:25 PM

That would be great! It’s so easy to miss stuff when rushing the first time around.