It’s dead, not alien – that’s all you can say for sure

The absurd and silly UFO mystery site, UFO Sightings Daily, has managed to push this piece of ridiculousness into the media. When the best news source I can find for it is “Yahoo News”, it’s really crap.

Conspiracy theorists are in a bit of a flutter after the discovery of what the believe is an alien corpse near a nuclear power plant. The odd discovery of the apparent body with a “mysterious skull” in Russia has got UFO hunters excited at what could be evidence of life on other planets.

Source: ‘Alien Corpse’ Discovered Near Nuclear Power Plant – Yahoo News

russian corpse

The “mysterious” thing has appeared on the usual tabloids – Daily Mail, Express, Daily Star – and David Icke’s site as well as the typical conspiracy forums. I really don’t think stories like this deserve any space except for the VERY SMALL CHANCE that someone might get the message that not everything you can’t readily identify is an “alien”. People really should get outside more.

This thing is not an alien and here’s why:

• It is made of the same structures as animals on earth are.
  • It is not a complete body, obviously parts are missing.
  • It could be a malformed embryo/fetus which is more likely than something not from earth.
  • There are no detailed photos besides this and the story is from Russia – notorious for producing sensational tabloidy stuff. There is no scale in the photo so we don’t even know how large (or small) it is.
  • There is currently no evidence of extraterrestrial life let alone something that looks like a messed up, incomplete immature animal.
  • The source of this speculation is completely unreliable, so why are we even listening to them?

I’m still unclear why anyone would get their news from UFO Sightings Daily. The addition of “found near nuclear plant” just makes things more scary and suggests that science has gone wrong. Typically, that suggests the interpretation would be “MUTANT!” but this time, they went with the ALIEN! angle. Bor-ing.

I’m not going to speculate on what it might be because the photo is so poor. But there may be some professionals that can make an educated guess. I’d ask that commenters NOT do the same shit as mystery mongerers do and make UN-educated guesses. It’s better to say “I don’t know” than to promote wrong information. Of course, the media doesn’t agree with that.

Other mystery “alien” corpses:

Frog-faced alien from Russia. Missing.

Elongated skull find in Russia hijacked for pseudoarchaeology ideas

Non-human Mummy of Peru? You can say anything on the Internet.

The scoop on the Roswell Slides: really pathetic hoax

Revelation that the ‘6-Inch Alien’ is human. Siriusly. (UPDATE: Aborted fetus?)

Tip: Damn you, David Gorski, for passing this silliness along

11 comments for “It’s dead, not alien – that’s all you can say for sure

1. Dana
    September 2, 2015 at 2:34 PM

It looks kind of like part of a turtle, to me, but I’m not a professional. That’s my guess. A turtle. Not even a mutant one. Just. A. Turtle.

2. Blargh
    September 2, 2015 at 2:46 PM

As a general rule, whenever you see a quote by nameless scientists or “a scientist”, assume it’s all made up. Scientists in general are not shy about speaking their mind about their area of expertise, and there’s very seldom a reason to hide an expert’s identity.

Also, nitpick: even if it’s a malformed foetus, there’s no reason to assume it’s due to a mutation. The vast majority of birth defects aren’t.

3. Eric
    September 2, 2015 at 3:42 PM

I just don’t get why they would play the alien card over the cryptozoo card? I’d definitely sell it as a chupacabra over an alien. Or since we are in Russia a deformed yeti fetus.

4. September 2, 2015 at 5:45 PM

Noted.

5. John B
    September 2, 2015 at 9:29 PM

It reminds me of the baby from “Eraserhead.”

6. Amir
    September 3, 2015 at 1:26 AM

Malformed stillborn bird is what I’ll go with. I’d like to see a good anatomist inspect the photos, though, and hear their opinion on it.

7. Laszlo
    September 3, 2015 at 9:11 AM

I am quite sure, that this is the upper part of a mummified squirrel.

8. September 3, 2015 at 9:36 AM

Evidence, please.

9. Laszlo
    September 3, 2015 at 10:38 AM

Yes, you are right: It might be a possibility.

10. Omxqru
    September 3, 2015 at 1:36 PM

Since you asked us not to speculate, I won’t guess that it is a bit of clay that someone formed into that shape and photographed. Not to discount others’ guesses.

11. Jeannine
    September 5, 2015 at 8:23 PM

Turtle seems to be one of the closest guesses, purely because of the shape of the skull. Most mammals have skulls which are round, but that protrude at the jaw / snout / nose / etc. The consistent roundness and lack of visible teeth would suggest something along the lines of turtle, however I will say that the jawline itself is -not- reminiscent of a turtle, and nor is the rest of the body. There does seem to be a “paw” although the image is of such quality that it’s difficult to tell the shape, or if the ‘paw’ has been altered. So, I would say not a turtle. With a dried out, incomplete body and no scale, it’s incredibly difficult to figure out exactly what this could be. Not to mention, often these things are tampered with in order to make them seem more ‘alien’-like.

I will also say that it doesn’t look like a squirrel skull to me, or any other common rodent- mice, rats, chipmunks, chinchilla, etc.- as they do tend to have longer skulls, and rather distinct teeth (although again, these may have been removed or cut)

Funny how these pictures tend to pop up, and usually there’s just the one picture, and usually it’s not the greatest picture, and then because of this nobody can really identify it with complete certainty, and it goes down as being a ‘mystery’.

I am by no means an expert in this field, although I have dabbled.