Canada’s haunted postage

News snippet:

Canada issues a series of stamps depicting famous ghost stories. Pretty, but a bit silly. Did they run out of real things to honor?

Haunting an envelope near you soon…

Source: Halifax Citadel’s ‘Grey Lady’ gets her own stamp

citadel-grey-lady-stamp

12 comments for “Canada’s haunted postage

1. terry the censor
    September 14, 2015 at 10:52 PM

I have lived in Canada my whole life (nearly 50 years) and have never heard of one of those five ghost stories.

Anyway, here’s the Canada Post page of showing all of the “Haunted Canada” merch (series one was released last year; the current news item is about series 2).

2. PagaRoobits
    September 14, 2015 at 11:12 PM

I consider classic ghost stories to be on par with classic fairy tales. If you wouldn’t object to a “Hansel And Gretel” stamp I see no reason to object to a”Grey Lady” stamp. It’s only when people start to take the whole ghost thing seriously that schiznitz goes to hell.

3. Dubious f
    September 14, 2015 at 11:27 PM

Ghost stories like their pension funds that absorbs so much dollars. Canada post wants to stop door to door service to be able to keep solvable.
    “Glistening past shall sink the twinkling tomorrow”
    Would resume the hope for haunted time, maybe they’ll give a clue what to do next,,,

4. Sean A. Elliott
    September 14, 2015 at 11:29 PM

I guess if we’re only going to allow real subject matter on stamps, they had better pull those Disney character and Star Wars stamps. Let’s not even mention Santa.

5. Rook
    September 14, 2015 at 11:52 PM

Looking over the entire set – I must say, each one is quite attractively illustrated. And I imagine they will do well with stamp collectors. You don’t need to believe in the supernatural to enjoy these stamps.

6. WMcCreery
    September 15, 2015 at 2:59 AM

How many “Grey Ladies” are I’ve heard of several in the UK

7. SmOakley
    September 15, 2015 at 6:26 AM

The pension fund had a surplus until poor investments squandered it.
    Cancelling door to door is about profit which is not part of the crown corporations mandate. The job is to deliver the mail, profit is bonus for taxpayers as approx. half the gross profits go to federal government. Some of those profits could have helped with CPC’s “modernization” instead of getting billion dollar loans.

8. Alex Murdoch
    September 15, 2015 at 10:10 AM

Should I mention that the President and CEO of Canada Post is Deepak Chopra? True story.

9. Dubious f
    September 15, 2015 at 10:35 AM

Not the same one https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deepak_Chopra_(Canada_Post), though it would have explained a lot of things…

10. Tony
    September 15, 2015 at 8:40 PM

I sent this article on to my aunt in Moncton, New Brunswick. She’s a history buff, the family historian in fact (and we have literally thousands of known relatives in Canada; family reunions are quite massive affairs), and she hadn’t heard of any of them either, though she added “one or two sounded very, very vaguely familiar, but nothing stands out.”

Btw, she also quipped, “I thought ‘Grey Lady’ was the nickname of your New York Times.” (I live in NYC, you see.)

Oh well, I suppose Canada Post can use the money. Thanks, Stephen Harper. 🙁

11. terry the censor
    September 15, 2015 at 9:20 PM

> never heard of one of those five ghost stories.

Now having checked out the first series from 2014, I can update my statement:

“I never heard of one of those 10 ghost stories.”

12. Karl
    September 18, 2015 at 12:29 PM

“I would have gotten away with ending door to door delivery if it weren’t for you meddling kids!”