Strange vocalizations heard on an island without wildlife. What could they be?

Alert Bay residents have been reporting strange screams and howls coming from a forest that surrounds the town – and some think they could be coming from a sasquatch.

Mackenzie Mountain said he recently recorded the unusual sounds on his cell phone at night on the backside of Cormorant Island.

“This summer I’ve heard it three times, I’ve heard it scream three times. But it’s been coming here for years,” said resident Rod Alfred.

It’s more like a howl than a scream. So are the sounds consistent? Why assume it’s the legendary cryptid? People who believe it, say they’ve seen it too.

Source: ‘Very eerie’: Bizarre howls spark Sasquatch hunt on remote B.C. island

Note that there is mention of the native belief in a mythical wild man (they label it Sasquatch but that name is likely not what it was called long ago). However, that is not necessarily the creature we now think of as Bigfoot/Sasquatch. So, the native myth is not sound evidence of today’s explanation as “Bigfoot”. It sounds like a dog. But their excuse is that it’s too loud. Hmm, water reflects sound. So that’s not a good conclusion. Many people say they’ve seen Bigfoot, we have no good evidence that a large creature is there. It should be straightforward to find such evidence in an isolated place like this.

Veteran Bigfoot researcher John Bindernagle is visiting to search for that evidence. We’ll see what he finds.

Tip: Daniel Loxton

UPDATE: A disappointing update on Bindernagle’s search. He supplies NO evidence of anything. But, he believes it’s a Sasquatch and therefore, he’s too biased to make a sound conclusion. There is talk of sightings and footprints but those are anecdotes, there is nothing to go on. I would like to see the local wildlife officials comment on the vocalizations. The chance that it is a PERSON is still more likely than an Sasquatch.

25 comments for “Bigfoot believers cite strange sounds on Canadian island (UPDATE: No additional evidence)

1. Perry
    September 24, 2015 at 9:28 PM

“Cormorant Island is not home to bears, cougars or deer”

But that doesn’t mean those animals, and others such as wolves, couldn’t swim to that island for a visit. This area is in my ‘backyard’ so to speak, and wildlife of all kinds swimming from island to island happens fairly frequently. See the following videos for example. So perhaps some kind of animal able to make those particular sounds swam over there?

Swimming Wolf between two little islands in the Barclay Sound, Ucluelet BC https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtNxs_1NOys

Cougar swim to shore on Vancouver Island BC https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mh0DNoQe4Vc

Deer going for a swim in Howe Sound BC https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_RfwBnn6Ds

Black bear swimming, Blue River, BC

2. Perry
    September 24, 2015 at 9:44 PM

Also see this new National Geographic article on BC’s sea wolves:

“In Search of the Elusive Sea Wolf Along Canada’s Rugged Coast: At Canada’s western edge, beachcombing wolves swim between islands, eating whatever the sea serves up.”

3. Chris
    September 24, 2015 at 10:57 PM

And cougars in the distance sound like a blood curdling scream from a woman. There are some which come down near my dad’s place in Arizona. It is very unsettling. (so was the javelina charging out from under my dad’s deck, across the back yard, over the creek and up the hill when my brother, our spouses and I were walking over to check our dad’s solar panels)

Looking at a map of the island, I see it is really not very far from other islands. A young cougar might have swum to it in search of territory. That is why some think a couple of young male cougars have ended up in Seattle (they come down the train tracks).

4. September 25, 2015 at 7:19 AM

So Bindernagle SHOULD find evidence of what animals are there. That is, if he is looking for THE ANSWER instead of evidence of Bigfoot. That’s a typical problem.

5. MisterNeutron
    September 25, 2015 at 8:48 AM

I’m always amused by the credulons who make statements like, “It sounds like a Sasquatch.” Um, yeah, OK. How, exactly, do you know what Sasquatches sound like? Have they released an album?

My response would be something along the lines of, “I disagree. That’s clearly the call of the Invisible Pink Unicorn. I’d know that sound anywhere!”

6. Ryan
    September 25, 2015 at 12:40 PM

You know I, and a lot of people I know often enjoy standing in the woods and making half passed animal calls. As do a lot of people. Some of them are deliberately making “bigfoot” noises. Either to call Bigfoot, or to fool Bigfoot hunters. Some of them are blowing a nice bass note on an empty beer bottle to antagonize the owls that best near their houses. Some of them are doing a really bad job demonstrating turkey calls.

I often feel like the people being idiots element is ignored with these stories.

7. Mike
    September 25, 2015 at 1:56 PM

More “Things That Never Happen in Bigfootery”:
    Bigfoot reports never involve government wildlife employees because they are, you know, part of the cover-up.

8. Sean A. Elliott
    September 25, 2015 at 2:39 PM

Bindernagel claimed to have seen a Sasquatch years ago, but could not discuss it because he had signed a non disclosure agreement regarding the details because it was someone else’s project. I later learned it was the Erickson project. He no longer makes that claim. Gullible scientists are a tradition in the Bigfoot field, notably Jeff Meldrum and Grover Krantz.

9. September 25, 2015 at 2:48 PM

As I noted, human is still the most obvious answer. And, yes, it’s ignored.

10. Dooley
    September 25, 2015 at 6:29 PM

I as well as others don’t recognize sasquatch as being real.
    Things that are not real do not make noise.
    There are those who believe it is real and say it makes a noise.
    There is no scientific evidence that it exists, so therefore it does not exist.
    There is no tangible evidence that has ever been brought forward to substantiate the existence of sasquatch.

11. matt
    September 26, 2015 at 7:43 AM

can anyone explain why we are so obsessed with a possible missing link?..or Gigantapithicas as i must presume its a cousin of…i love the “idea” thought of a being out in the woods and being scared but shonky camera work and out of focus shots,!! im from Suffolk,UK but have known since a child the Loch Ness monster was Bobbins , A Sturgeon, Cat fish…can we not organis a scientific approach to ascertain its a validity

12. Bill T.
    September 26, 2015 at 9:48 AM

At lease as plausible as Bigfoot, therefore it needs to be eliminated? Nah, we’ll go with Bigfoot, because we’re (self-designated) scientists.

13. DanielWainfleet
    September 26, 2015 at 1:51 PM

The Sasquaches. Great name for a band. If you ask someone how they know it’s the sound of a S., they’ll say: Because it must be.It couldn’t be anything else. …Have you ever heard racoons in the spring mating season? Sounds like someone being tortured Or a silver fox at night making a sound like tearing sheet metal? And beagles? Even other dogs think they sound weird.

14. DanielWainfleet
    September 26, 2015 at 1:56 PM

Sasquach stories are not very old. If they were real ,wouldn’t you expect the indigenous peoples of B.C. to know about them?

15. Perry
    September 26, 2015 at 2:06 PM

The Indigenous peoples of BC do know about them. The word ‘sasquatch’ is an English version of an Indigenous word. The stories started in BC before the settler culture arrived. Most cultures around the world have ancient stories about elusive human-like creatures living in the wilds.

16. September 26, 2015 at 6:52 PM

But, again, that is assuming that Sasquatch is equivalent to today’s Bigfoot creature. That’s a stretch. Unless you are very familiar with the stories of the natives and if they considered these creatures real or spirits, we should not be equating the two.

17. Massachusetts
    September 27, 2015 at 9:18 PM

From the video: “No dog could make a sound of that volume.” – That sounds debatable. I’ve heard wildlife experts say that small animals like fox can make very loud sounds.

I would also think that very small animals could live on the island, even if large animals don’t. And it doesn’t look far away from the mainland, where there would certainly be large animals that might make noises.

18. Furry McBigbeast
    September 30, 2015 at 5:18 PM

There’s been horrible sounds coming from that area for years. Just go to the Vancouver Folk Music Festival.

19. Kevin
    October 13, 2015 at 12:41 PM

The best Sasquatch vocalizations related comment I’ve heard was found on the television series, “Finding Bigfoot.” When listening to a recording the “researchers” expressed some doubt and mentioned it sounded like coyotes. The reply? “The Sasquatch is imitating coyotes!” Made me truly laugh out loud!

20. November 25, 2015 at 3:03 PM

If you think a predator will swim to an island with no wildlife you just do not understand wildlife. Predators move with game. they often relocate to where game is when there is a shortage of food supplies not just because. Especially swimming across a channel to a place with no food. That being said I do not think that what people there are hearing is a Sasquatch. It sounds like a human replaying Bobos call from a recording. He is the only Sasquatch I have ever heard that sounded like that. Why would Sasquatch a predator also swim to that island…..the only reason would be to find a mate and I just do not see that happening. They are known to be attracted to drumming so if their was a ceremony on the island it is possible but not likely.

21. Perry
    November 25, 2015 at 10:47 PM

You speak of Sasquatch as if they exist, so I think it is you who doesn’t understand wildlife.

22. Peter
    November 26, 2015 at 9:18 PM

Well I do understand wildlife I don’t understand why you are commenting about me when you should be commenting about the sound. You have much to learn.

23. Perry
    November 26, 2015 at 9:33 PM

You are the one who first made an ad hominem comment about me with your unfounded assumption that I do not understand wildlife. I merely pointed out your hypocrisy in making that insult while believing Sasquatch exit. Yes, I do have a lot to learn. Only an arrogant ass like you would claim they don’t.

24. Peter
    November 27, 2015 at 7:28 AM

I do not see how name calling helps you feel better. But if it does so be it. I know Sasquatch exists I have had encounters. Yes visual. I have investigated many sightings as well….most were mistaken identity but a couple were spot on. I have hair samples I have casts of footprints. Like I said you have much to learn. I am not arrogant just a little more well informed than you. But I have been investigating Sasquatch for about 40 years so it is to be expected. This recording of possible Sasquatch vocals is not Sasquatch, it is Human in origin. So can we please move back to the reason we are commenting. If I embarrassed you or made you feel small forgive me that was not my intent.

25. November 27, 2015 at 7:39 AM

I am very familiar with the stories of many different tribes and they all believe differently.One consensus between all tribes is they are real they are a people and they were here before we were….we meaning Natives. Some Natives believe they are a spirit some believe they are somewhere in between spirit and flesh. Some believe they are a lost tribe of indians. I could go on and on but we are here to comment on the vocals which are human in origin.