Unwarranted conspiracy continues over Cobain

News morsel:

Let it go people. It’s no mystery what happened here.

Kurt Cobain’s death was officially ruled a suicide over twenty years ago, but hey, crazy conspiracy theorists will be crazy conspiracy theorists. Last year, Seattle police reviewed the case and examined four previously undeveloped rolls of 35mm film of the crime scene and came to the same conclusion of suicide, and they released some previously unseen photos (including some utterly horrifying ones) to the public in an attempt to put the matter to rest for good.

Read more: Judge Dismisses Lawsuit Seeking Graphic Kurt Cobain Death-Scene Photos

6 comments for “Unwarranted conspiracy continues over Cobain

1. August 2, 2015 at 12:02 PM

Lee – the guy who filed the lawsuit to make the pictures available – is just a big jerk. He cares nothing for the pain he would cause Cobain’s widow and daughter. Lowest of the low!

Honestly, I think at least half of these “conspiracy theorists” don’t really believe what they’re saying, they just do these things for publicity and, ultimately, money.

2. Ronald H. Pine
    August 2, 2015 at 9:10 PM

Here’s something that I heard about, for what it may or not be worth, in regard to this business. The famous/infamous “beat” author, William S. Burroughs, lived here in Lawrence, Kansas, during the latter part of his life. I got to know him and we socialized some. Burroughs was obsessed by guns. If you’ve ever heard anything about him, you’ve probably heard about how he shot and killed his wife when they were playing a sort of drunken “William Tell” game, in which he was going to shoot a glass off the top of her head. Anyhow, here’s the story that I heard from some of my acquaintances who were intimates of Burroughs. Supposedly, Cobain was fascinated by and greatly admired Burroughs and what he stood for and made a sort of pilgrimage to his house here in Lawrence, where they spent their time playing with Burroughs’s guns and carrying on animated conversations about them. Anyone who knew Burroughs knows that his conversation tended to deal with violence, mayhem, and the unsavory. And, then, shortly after Cobain left Lawrence, the suicide took place. Again, I can’t personally vouch for the truth of any of this. And, more again, it’s just something that I’ve been told. And even if the story is true, a cause-and-effect relationship between his visit with Burroughs, and his death, may not have existed. However, people here in Lawrence tell this story as if there might be a connection, and I guess it has become a part of some of the local folklore concerning Burroughs.

3. eleggua
    August 3, 2015 at 1:19 AM

” Supposedly, Cobain was fascinated by and greatly admired Burroughs and what he stood for and made a sort of pilgrimage to his house here in Lawrence, where they spent their time playing with Burroughs’s guns and carrying on animated conversations about them.”

“Anyone who knew Burroughs knows that his conversation tended to deal with violence, mayhem, and the unsavory. ”

No and no. Certainly not “anyone”. His conversations were wide-ranging; violence and mayhem were no great part of those dialogues. Unsavory? What’s “unsavory” anyway?

WSB on Cobain’s visit:
    “We smoked cigarettes but didn’t drink. There were no drugs. I never showed him my gun collection.”

4. eleggua
    August 3, 2015 at 1:27 AM

Cobain was obsessed with firearms and shooting himself long before his visit to Lawrence.
    Google Image search “Cobain” “gun” “rifle”. One can find several images of Cobain posing with guns in his mouth; with an automatic rifle in his mouth, sitting between Grohl and Novaselic; holding guns to his own head.

Cobain’s visit to Lawrence was in October of ’93; he killed himself in April of ’94, nearly seven months later. That’s not exactly “shortly after”.

Burroughs doesn’t much belong in any conversation regarding Cobain’s suicide, not in my opinion, and definitely not as a possible catalyst or inspiration for it. That talk is certainly unwarranted.

5. One Eyed Jack
    August 3, 2015 at 10:11 AM

I am so tired of hearing anything to do with Cobain. To be fair, I was tired of hearing about him when he was alive.

The talent in Nirvana was David Grohl. Cobain just fit the look and brooding aura that catered to the teen angst, grunge movement. Any suicide is a sad thing, but without it, I believe Cobain would have faded into obscurity before the end of the 90s.

6. Ronald H. Pine
    August 3, 2015 at 1:21 PM

I am very glad to learn that there is no reason to think that there was a connection between Cobain’s death and his visit with Burroughs and very good reasons for thinking that there wasn’t. As I think I indicated in my post, I didn’t really know quite what to make of the story and I thought that it might have been merely some local Burroughs folklore, of which there is a lot out there. I was negligent in not looking into the facts as to when Cobain visited Lawrence. Because of my being a zoologist, and Burroughs knowing of my knowledge of and experience with venomous and otherwise noxious creatures, our conversations tended to drift toward that subject, at his instigation, and he seemed to be especially fond of getting into details as to just how much damage they can do to people. That was mostly what I was thinking about in my remark using the word “unsavory.” Thinking back on my conversations with him, and ones overheard, I agree that I overstated the extent to which his conversation dealt with violence and the like. On the whole, I now wish that I had not left a post here at all, or had merely reported the story as I heard it, checked up on the facts and supposed facts myself, and debunked the myth. I went off half-cocked. I guess that some Doubtful News purpose may have been served by the exchanges I precipitated here, in that a myth has ended up being called to the attention of readers and debunked, but my ability to look into the truth of claims and rumors hasn’t come off very well in this thread.