“She was screaming for help” inside the coffin (UPDATE: Likely was not alive)

Here is an extremely strange story out of Honduras. Neysi Perez, 16, had been buried, but her family heard her screaming, alive in the coffin.

She had been buried the previous day.When they opened the coffin, Perez was dead. But according to relatives, she was still warm and had bruises on her fingertips. The glass viewing pane on her coffin had been smashed.”As I put my hand on her grave, I could hear noises inside,” her husband, Rudy Gonzales told Primer Impacto TV news. “I heard banging, then I heard her voice. She was screaming for help.”

Source: Dead teenager ‘wakes up in grave in Honduras’ – only to then ‘die in hospital’

The articles notes that the girl was 3 months pregnant; she fell unconscious after gunfire near her home; she was foaming at the mouth and the family thought she was possessed; she was taken to a hospital and pronounced dead. Her husband heard screaming from the grave and they smashed it open. Transported to the hospital, she was pronounced dead. Again.

The entire story has many gaps. Because the video hides her face, it’s not clear if she really was alive when they opened the casket. There are no recordings of the screaming presented. Doctors think this may have been shock that stopped her heart and she was prematurely declared dead. What did she really die of then?

I’m personally appalled that we are talking about a pregnant, married, 16 year old in a violent area. What really happened to her? It’s tragic (and doubtful) all around.

Tip: JPerry

And Ben Radford agrees. She was probably NOT buried alive.

9 comments for ““She was screaming for help” inside the coffin (UPDATE: Likely was not alive)

1. Bill T.
    August 26, 2015 at 1:36 AM

It was, apparently, a very shallow grave, if they were able to hear her screaming.

2. Lagaya1
    August 26, 2015 at 2:18 AM

from the video and still photos, it looks like a concrete tomb rather than an underground burial.

3. Bill T.
    August 26, 2015 at 1:44 PM

Ahhh, caught me, as you saw, I wasn’t interested enough to follow up on the source article. I suggest that hearing yelling from that environment would likely be unlikely also.

4. Karl
    August 26, 2015 at 3:43 PM

“Maria Gutierrez, Perez’s mother, believed her daughter was buried alive, and blamed doctors for being too quick in signing a death certificate. “She didn’t look like she had died,” Ms Gutierrez said. ”

They seemed too quick to take her to an exorcist before a doctor.

5. Jonathan Ferguson
    August 27, 2015 at 3:40 AM

There is literally nothing in that video that makes me think she was alive. They’re holding her arm up as though pliant limbs are proof of life/recent death. The broken glass in the lid has no blood, her hands are fine; the “bruising” they report is likely the typical colouration of the extremities of a corpse. She’s lying peacefully in her coffin with arms by her sides and eyes/mouth closed. If she’d woken as claimed, she’d at least have her arms up by her head.

There appears to be one doctor half-heartedly attempting CPR, no proper EKG in use.. I suggest this was a piece of theatre for the sake of the MANY disgruntled locals crowding around who already blamed the medical profession for prematurely pronouncing. If they were prepared to take the poor girl to an exorcist before a doctor, they’re also the sort of superstitious (& grief-stricken) people to think they heard her call out.

Tl;Dr I call BS.

6. Karl
    August 27, 2015 at 12:43 PM

It’s a great point, Jonathan. I was doing some extensive research about a family that thinks a Vietnamese hoaxer is their brother/uncle reported MIA in Vietnam in the 1960s. In that research, I came across many references to people who lost someone and accepted an impostor was their dearly departed, despite their being ample evidence to the contrary. In fact, there are some zombie accounts that can be explained this way. Someone sees a mentally handicapped person in a village market who bears a passing resemblance to their lost loved one and assumes this is really him/her returned from the dead. DNA tests reveal, of course, this is not their lost loved one.

The power of hopeful thinking plays out in interesting ways.

7. Jonathan Ferguson
    August 27, 2015 at 1:31 PM

I think this has even closer parallels with the vampire myth; people digging up their friends/family and finding them not obviously rotted or stiff, & concluding that they are the cause of some perceived ill in the community. Of course, in those cases they *don’t* want the person to rise!

In fact, I see this case as just the latest expression of the historical phenomenon of premature burial; a lot of which are suspect in terms of evidence. I’m not saying it never happened, but I do think many, if not most reported cases, are mistaken or simply fabricated, most obviously the various “lady with the ring” stories (see Wiki). This could just be the latest of these.

8. Steve
    August 28, 2015 at 9:16 AM

Hi Karl, Is there a name for the phenomenon you’re describing? Any books or articles you could reference on this?
    Thanks