Don’t eat toad

Folk remedies can go terribly wrong.

A 70-year-old man in Shanghai was sent to hospital after eating three boiled toads believing it to be a folk remedy for his skin disease, Jiefang Daily said yesterday.

The man, surnamed Gao, had a skin disease for many years. He was told eating toads could help clear toxins in the body and was an effective treatment for skin diseases, the report said.

Source: Man in hospital after eating 3 boiled toads | Shanghai Daily

In July 2013, a woman also in Shanghai died after eating toad soup. She had cancer but the toad toxins killed her. It seems plausible that this happens more often and we don’t hear about it. Dogs are often victims of the bufotoxin when they eat the toads. There are several types of toxic substances found in different toads‘ skin and glands. So poisoning can occur even by just handling some toads.

Some toads are used as aphrodisiacs. Death can result.

Consumption of toads for their aphrodisiac effect is a common practice in Laos, China and in some parts of India. Toad secretions from parotid and skin contains toxin similar to cardiac glycosides. It results in bradycardia and cardiac dysfunction leading on to death in some cases. We report a case of toad poisoning in a young previously healthy male.

Source: An interesting case of cardiotoxicity due to bufotoxin (toad toxin). – PubMed

  13 comments for “Don’t eat toad

  1. August 28, 2015 at 11:02 AM

    Every time I read a story like this, I think about all the woo-woos out there who think “Chinese medicine” is so advanced and effective. And then I just shake my head in sadness.

    Stupid people. Poor toads.

  2. Eve
    August 28, 2015 at 1:40 PM

    Okay, I’ve crossed “eat toad” off my to-do list, so now I just have to run with scissors, play with fire, spit into the wind, pull the mask off the ol’ Lone Ranger, and mess around with Jim.

  3. Ronald H.Pine
    August 28, 2015 at 1:53 PM

    As is so often the case, an article will use a stock photo which will show a different animal than the one discussed in the article. The animal figured in the Shanghai Daily article is a frog, not a toad. I am pleased to see that Doubtful News’s click-on link picture for its article above shows an actual toad, apparently the so-called “marine toad,” or “cane toad.”

  4. August 28, 2015 at 5:53 PM

    Which we know is nasty to eat. 🙂

  5. August 28, 2015 at 5:53 PM

    You’re a rebel.

  6. Barry
    August 29, 2015 at 12:50 AM

    Of course he went to the hospital. HE ATE THREE BOILED TOADS.

  7. Bill T.
    August 29, 2015 at 2:45 AM

    It must have been something else because “… it’s all-natural so we know it’s safe” as was proclaimed on a commonly aired ad on U. S. TV.

  8. jockmcdock
    August 29, 2015 at 4:32 AM

    Toads are also a danger for animals. When my dog and I lived in the northern part of Australia, I had to be aware of what he was sniffing and/or putting in his mouth. Crocodiles and snakes were also a problem.

  9. Harrow
    August 29, 2015 at 11:25 AM

    Surely even in northern Australia a dog would hesitate before putting a crocodile in his mouth.

  10. CLamb
    August 29, 2015 at 1:42 PM

    Family Guy Don’t Do Toad song. https://youtu.be/SQEhBai711o

  11. busterggi (Bob Jase)
    August 29, 2015 at 4:47 PM

    You might even consider going swimming only 59 minutes after eating.

  12. jockmcdock
    August 30, 2015 at 10:14 AM

    LOL. He was a Dobermann. What chance does a 5 metre croc have against a Dobie?

  13. Cathy
    August 30, 2015 at 8:29 PM

    Which kills a lot of Australian wildlife as they don’t know not to eat it because it is not native. Some park rangers are teaching some endangered species not to eat them but they can only teach a small number of animals.

Comments are closed.