Asparagus watergate

News Driblet:

Has Whole Foods become “a bizarre religious cult”?

Whole Foods tried to sell Los Angelenos actual asparagus in a bottle of water—for $6

Source: Asparagus water: This week’s overpriced yuppie Whole Foods diet trend garbage – Salon.com

Yuck. The product has been removed.

Tip: Bob M.

6 comments for “Asparagus watergate

1. Adam
    August 5, 2015 at 9:15 AM

My kids are coeliac so when we visit the US the likes of Whole Foods are useful for the gluten free stuff, albeit expensive. But dear god the amount of woo they sell is embarrassing.

2. Tony
    August 5, 2015 at 10:13 AM

Just another reason why people call it Whole Paycheck.

3. David H
    August 5, 2015 at 11:57 AM

So, what exactly are the benefits of drinking water with asparagus in it?
    Pre-aromaized urine?
    Or is the effect supposed to be a homeopathic prophylaxis so one could eat asparagus and not have one’s urine smell funny?

Enough properly worded pseudoscientific claims on the bottle, and they could have sold millions.
    Like the homeopathic saline solution selling for $16 a pint . . .

Maybe it was just a way to extract more cash from gullible Whole Foods customers.

4. Ryan
    August 5, 2015 at 9:12 PM

Unless I missed something there isn’t any woo here. There’s been a trend going on for a while for “infused” ice water. It’s a pinterest/entertaining thing. You toss some fruit or herbs in a pitcher of ice water and it gives it a subtle flavor. As twee as it is it’s nice. I do it with cucumber or melon on occasion. Very refreshing. Same as serving water with lemon occasionally.

This is just whole foods monetizing it in the stupidest way possible. Asparagus will not infuse water in that way. 6 bucks is insane. The fad is fading, and it was explicitly for serving the water at social gathering. Stupid, but no insane claims from what I’ve seen.

5. BobM
    August 6, 2015 at 1:44 AM

If it’s anything like those “subtly” infused water fruit drinks you get it must be really, really subtle because my aged taste buds can’t really discern it. But luckily I really like asparagus and it tastes fine by itself.

6. David H
    August 6, 2015 at 2:48 AM

I think this infusion fad is reaching its lunatic conclusion.
    Saw this stuff in my local liquor store today–and it costs $37 per bottle!