Philadelphia sky blob is not very spaceshippy

A mysterious mass in the sky fascinated some North Philadelphia residents this weekend.

Source: Viewer video captures mysterious mass floating in North Philadelphia

Action News viewer Hector Garcia shot the video near 7th and Tioga streets Sunday afternoon.

You can see a fast-moving, clear blob floating across the skyline.

Here is the video

Screen Shot 2015-07-07 at 9.10.08 PMIt very well could be light, transparent material such as a blob of bubbles (helium foam), light plastic or fabric from a weather balloon.

So, technically it IS unidentified but there is no good reason to consider it alien or particularly bizarre. Later in the video, it appears to descend and probably land somewhere. The “lights” he notes are easily explained as reflections of the sun since it’s a clear day.

PS: One our least favorite sources, the Mirror in the UK, is SO POOR at reporting, they repeatedly say Garcia is filming in New York.

Meanwhile, this story of UFO lights in New Zealand looks very much like Chinese lanterns. Our culture has conditioned us to think of the most extreme explanations instead of mundane ones when seeing something odd in the sky.

6 comments for “Philadelphia sky blob is not very spaceshippy

1. Rook
    July 7, 2015 at 11:48 PM

My first thought was that it may be phosphorus smoke produced by fireworks (leftover fireworks from 4th of July), but the mystery cloud does seem to behave much like a blob of soap bubbles would. Perhaps lifted up by wind from a nearby car wash facility?

2. kfunk937
    July 8, 2015 at 9:07 AM

You know, for a guy who’s “never seen no sh*t like that” in his life, the narrator’s affect is remarkably flat, almost dreamy… Obviously not a member of the cloudappreciationsociety.org.

I couldn’t find anything online that describes anything exactly like this (what I suspect is a) cloud formation of some sort, but am pretty sure that someone will eventually blame Obama.

3. Russian Skeptic
    July 8, 2015 at 3:14 PM

It looks and moves exactly like a plastic bag, so it must be a plastic bag. The image is somewhat blurred, but digital camera settings often work in weird ways (blurring of a moving object is not uncommon).

4. terry the censor
    July 12, 2015 at 2:58 PM

> Later in the video, it appears to descend and probably land somewhere.

I have watched hundreds of UFO videos on YouTube and noticed that no one tries to follow the UFO to its destination — even when it’s descending. The complete lack of curiosity is astounding.

One fellow had a video that he claimed showed two alien ships dropping behind some shrubbery and landing in a field. I asked if he walked the couple hundred yards to investigate the ships. He responded that he had been too busy. I kept on him: too busy to make the greatest discovery in human history? He had no good answer.

It seemed that he got his belief-confirming UFO video and didn’t give a damn about its true nature. As I see so often with UFO buffs (and humans in general, to be fair), he got the evidence he liked — then stopped looking.

5. Galactic
    July 13, 2015 at 10:37 AM

So true!… And I’m a believer. If it was me, I would chase it wherever that ufo was going!!!! I wouldn’t take my eyes off of it!

6. Mi11er
    July 17, 2015 at 9:32 PM

Amazing, I was out for a walk with my wife in London Ontario this evening and we witness the same phenomenon. It definitely was not a plastic bag and it kept climbing and picking up speed. It appeared to be a mass or pocket of gas. This video is exactly the same as what we witnessed.