Jim Carrey bent on ruining his career with dumb Twitter rant about vaccines

Once again, an ACTOR is telling the public about a serious HEALTH concern that exists only in the anti-vax community.

A celebrity critic of vaccines and former partner of another star with an autistic child has taken to social media to denounce a new California law requiring most children be vaccinated.

Source: Jim Carrey denounces new Calif. vaccine law in Twitter rant – The Washington Post

Here are the tweets where Carrey, known for the movies Dumb and Dumber, The Truman Show, Ace Ventura: Pet Detective and Mask (among many others), calls the governor a fascist, the CDC corrupt and still thinks there is thimerosal in vaccines and that it’s mercury poisoning.

Screen Shot 2015-07-01 at 8.04.40 AM

The larger text indicates the post was shared over 1000 times.

Screen Shot 2015-07-01 at 8.04.53 AM

Someone enlighten me on why I should take seriously the rantings of a TV and film actor with no scientific or medical training over the US Centers for Disease Control experts and centuries of work on immunization? Quite the hubris he has!

I don’t take his claims seriously. And neither should you.

This raving nonsense is the reaction of someone still steeped in the Green Our Vaccines ideas. As you can see, Carrey does not call himself anti-vaccine but he really is since his understanding about them is so flawed. He’s been saying the same “I’m not anti-vax” thing since 2008.  Being anti-vaccine is an obvious numbskull idea since it is such an impressive health measure that has saved millions of lives. Myths of vaccines being toxic are old. It seems like people never learn. Neither has Carrey. He’s still on the same celebrity soapbox, while his state officials have done the reasonable thing and passed a strict bill regarding childhood vaccinations. Reason and evidence simply doesn’t work on such a person who takes advantage of his position to spread dangerous misinformation. It may very well hurt his career (which is not in such a stellar place right now).

You’re a joke, Jim. But, we’re not laughing.

jim-carrey-happyish

Addition: Kirstie Alley also joins in the silly hissy-fits about the anti-vax law. So incredibly ridiculous.

Screen Shot 2015-07-01 at 8.54.39 AM

25 comments for “Jim Carrey bent on ruining his career with dumb Twitter rant about vaccines

1. Adam
    July 1, 2015 at 9:28 AM

Jim Carrey can say he’s pro instead of anti vax. In any event he’s an idiot. As for his career, it’s hardly what it once was.

2. Angela
    July 1, 2015 at 9:38 AM

Mr. Carrey has been ranting about a lot of things in the last couple of years. I have never based who I support in movies or entertainment because of their views on things outside the industry, but I’m starting to change my mind about that with the anti-vax people. Too many of the celebrities jump on bandwagons and claim to be ‘thinking for themselves’. They aren’t thinking, they’re reacting. (and very badly at that).

3. July 1, 2015 at 10:47 AM

I feel the same way. I’m tolerant of celebs who are steeped in that culture that is so different than yours and mine. They are products of their environment. But when they start preaching on their celeb soapbox as if they KNOW BETTER just because they are VIPs, I can’t take it, the disgust kicks in.

I will NEVER have positive feelings for Jenny, Jim, (anti-vax) Tom Cruise (Scientology) or Ted Nugent (gun crazy conservative). IMO, it would be best if they all disappeared from the entertainment world forever.

P.S Currently reading: Is Gwyneth Paltrow Wrong About Everything. I recommend it about celeb influence on pop culture.

4. Christine Rose
    July 1, 2015 at 11:03 AM

When you’re a celebrity at the level of Jim Carrey, thinking for yourself is one of the last things you do. He can’t go grocery shopping or to the gym without being mobbed, so he has a Personal Assistant to do his shopping and a personal trainer to help him work out in a private studio. He probably didn’t even interview his own housekeeper. None of these people are going to tell him what the National Enquirer is saying about him, and even if the personal trainer vaccinates all their kids, they aren’t the right person to be yelling at Mr. Carrey.

5. MikeXeno
    July 1, 2015 at 11:34 AM

At times like this, it should be remembered that Jim Carrey’s career really took off with Ace Ventura, which is where he first started talking out of his ass. Apparently, he’s decided to stick with what works, and 20 years later he’s still doing exactly that.

6. Chris
    July 1, 2015 at 12:22 PM

Did anyone ever ask Carrey to name any vaccine on the American pediatric schedule that is only available with thimerosal? Or tell him that without any real evidence that the California legislature dictated that no vaccine with thimerosal be used on anyone under age eighteen?

Ms. Alley should be asked which vaccine on the American pediatric schedule causes more seizures than the diseases, and does her religion consider medications for epilepsy okay dokay. Then remind her of what happened to John Travolta’s son.

As I told my mother-in-law as she was clearing out her basement and offered me a book by Suzanne Somers: “I don’t take medical advice from those unqualified folks with more money than brains.”

7. RW
    July 1, 2015 at 1:45 PM

I suggest that Carrey should stop using table salt. It contains chlorine, a poisonous gas, and sodium, an element so volatile that it explodes on contact with water. Or he could learn some basic chemistry and start to understand how stupid it is to assume that the properties of a compound are the same as those of its constituents.

8. Richard
    July 1, 2015 at 3:08 PM

I would not mind so much if the failure to vaccinate affected ONLY the kids of the parents not vaccinating (though I would still feel bad for the kids if they got sick, especially if they died); but avoiding vaccination is a public health issue that affects OTHERS.

9. Steve
    July 1, 2015 at 5:57 PM

I hear that dihydrogen monoxide can be quite lethal as well.

10. Andrew
    July 1, 2015 at 6:47 PM

Indeed, it kills thousands of people a year yet the government does nothing about it.

A couple of years ago some people set up a stall asking for signatures to get it banned to see how many people were that gullible and science illiterate.

Even oxygen can kill in the right concentration.

11. Dave From AU
    July 1, 2015 at 8:51 PM

Water off a sheep’s back . . .

12. Jennifer
    July 1, 2015 at 9:41 PM

What really upsets me is the arguement that vaccines are bad because they might cause autism. For the record, I have two autistic sons and don’t believe vaccines have anything to do with autism. However, I’d like to get this straight, these people would rather risk buying a tiny coffin than have an autistic child?!? My children and I can only say WTF?!? In addition, they are risking others having to buy that tiny coffin all due to their fear of having a healthy, happy child with autism. The message of how “less than” they view my children is staggering. Not to mention, my sons are both very bright. I’m not saying our life is easy, but it’s very worthwhile.

13. G
    July 1, 2015 at 10:16 PM

Yes, indeed, dihidrogen monoxide and sodium are a potent mix!

One of the worst chemistry understandings I ever saw said “and it’s sodium based, just like table salt, so it’s totally safe!”

14. Dubious f
    July 1, 2015 at 11:42 PM

Yes, but don’t forget that of all the people that died, 100% drank water….. Cause and effect. Yes, Vax has glitches here and there but saved by the tons full. Would like to see the antivaxers/homeopathics ratio just out of curiosity knowledge is a vertue that got supplanted in the 21st century by marketing. for shame

15. Scott
    July 2, 2015 at 1:02 AM

Jenny McCarthy, Jim Carrey, Tom Cruise and Ted Nugent team up to form The Legion of Dumb, the worst superhero team ever. Someone please make this movie!

In part I blame how documentaries on the subject use underhanded tactics such as cherry picking facts, straw man, and a wide variety of other fallicious arguments to try to prove their point. This seems to be a problem with many of the documentaries on Netflix in general.

16. Ryan
    July 2, 2015 at 3:53 AM

Keep in mind since Kirsty Alley is a Scientologist, and they eschew modern psychiatric medicine, there is a whole other layer of scary context there. They don’t think anybody should ever be getting professional help for mental illness.

17. Angela
    July 2, 2015 at 9:14 AM

Exactly. As a mother of an autistic child (who does NOT blame vaccines), it is mind-blowing to hear people freak out more over a disorder than the number of deaths before vaccines became the norm. My mother was a child during the times that these childhood diseases were commonplace. She and I have talked about a time that a very large number of people either had a family member or at least knew someone who had polio. That doesn’t seem to bother the anti-vaxxers. Outdated and fraudulent information can sure get them going though.

18. Chris
    July 2, 2015 at 11:59 AM

Also as a parent of an adult with autism, I am tired of it. Especially folks like him and McCarthy trying to make parents feeling guilty like it is their fault and that we aren’t “doing enough” if we don’t drag the kid to quack who perform things like chelation, cranial sacral therapy and other nonsense. I left an online listserv about ten years ago when I enough nasty grams for trying to explain that chelation was dangerous. It was a week before this happened: Sadly, it was only a matter of time: An autistic boy dies during chelation therapy.

A speech therapist at a university program where kids were in an experimental preschool with therapies provided at very little cost or free to parents was less than pleased when a parent would credit some wonky expensive alternative treatment for their child’s progress… and not the free speech therapy she provided. She was a parent at my younger kids’ elementary and we both had a little rant at the nonsense.

I hate the wasted resources, and would really like it to be easier when they become adults. My son needs services, and he needs supported housing. There is just not enough to go around.

19. One Eyed Jack
    July 3, 2015 at 3:58 AM

That’s just absurd. Everyone knows it’s only safe if it’s organic sodium. 😉

20. Ronald H. Pine
    July 3, 2015 at 12:02 PM

I, of course, am also a person who can only roll his/her eyes at the anti-vax nonsense that some show biz celebrities put out but I’m dubious of the proposition that promulgating noxious nonsense is likely to ruin their careers. Can anyone give me examples of this sort of thing having happened? This is an honest, not a rhetorical, question. I’d be pleased to hear of examples.

21. Christine Rose
    July 3, 2015 at 12:58 PM

There’s been some speculation about Tom Cruise, Jenny McCarthy (fired from The View), and Kristie Alley. For Cruise it was mostly associated with the couch incident and his treatment of Katie Holmes. People cheered for the Philip Seymour Hoffman character during theater showings of Mission Impossible 3. But really, who wouldn’t cheer for Philip Seymour Hoffman?

What does happen, and it happens a lot, is that celebrities become so annoying to work with that they just sort of fade out of view. However the very definition of celebrity implies that the person is exceptional and has a unique brand so every casting decision involves balancing the unique appeal against the wackiness.

Would Kristie Alley still be A-list if she wasn’t a Scientologist? What if she wasn’t know for being hard to work with? Would she be A-list if she wasn’t struggling with binge eating? Would she be struggling with binge eating if she saw a real doctor instead of treating her engrams? Or maybe she’d be easier to work with? Or maybe no one would care by now if she wasn’t so colorful and she’d be raising sheep in Arizona.

22. Headless Unicorn Guy
    July 4, 2015 at 1:34 PM

And every word he utters will be believed as Absolute Truth, because it comes from the mouth of a CELEBRITY.

23. Headless Unicorn Guy
    July 4, 2015 at 1:37 PM

And every word he utters out of his Ace Ventura ass will be taken as Absolute Truth because he’s a CELEBRITY(TM).

24. Headless Unicorn Guy
    July 4, 2015 at 1:38 PM

None of these people are going to tell him what the National Enquirer is saying about him…

Because nobody dares tell the CELEBRITY anything other than what the CELEBRITY wants to hear.

25. Rand
    July 4, 2015 at 9:10 PM

And there’s a reason for that… if Scientologists got modern psychaiatric help… there soon wouldn’t be any more scientologists…