Blink-182’s Delonge detours into UFO-alien land

tom-delongeIt’s not news that rock musician Tom Delonge has been deep into the UFO idea for years now. Once again, a celebrity is using his status to “investigate” something that others have investigated to death. Maybe he shouldn’t have quit his day job.

Facebook statuses show Delonge meeting with NASA officials, as well as possibly the President, for what he describes as “An important film on something about space.” Delonge’s interest in space dates back many years, in particular with the well-known song, “Aliens Exist,” which includes the lyrics: “I know the CIA will say/what you hear is all hearsay/I wish someone would tell me what was right.”

Source: Is Ex-Blink 182 Member Tom Delonge About To Expose UFOs With The President & NASA?

I’d bet money he isn’t going to expose UFOs and NASA.

Delonge started the Strange Times website back in 2011. It was successful as other mystery mongering sites were because it fed into the culture of conspiracy belief. The website died a short while later but Delonge didn’t give up on the interest. On July 21, Delonge said that his investigation has led him to “a big breakthrough in something I’ve been studying for over 20 years”. It will be in his new film.

Did he actually meet with the President? It sounds unlikely, but who knows.

To assume that Delonge is the one to cut through the massive red tape of “UFO” secrecy is to assume too much, mainly, a.) there is a breakthrough to be found, b.) that the current administration knows it, and c.) that he was the one to finally discover it as opposed to the hundreds of people over the last 50 years that have looked hard.

Will he expose alien life visiting earth? I’ll guess no. But, if we are lucky, we might get a cool funny film that promotes space exploration. At least I hope. We certainly don’t need any more unsupported mystery mongering about aliens doing business at Area 51.

His fans just wish he’d reunite with the band already. They miss him and fear he’s gone off the deep end.

PAPERMAG: Blink-182 Co-Founder Tom DeLonge Goes Deep on UFOs, Government Coverups and Why Aliens are Bigger than Jesus

People will be like “Oh, you believe in UFOs” [laughs], but I’m reading books on physics, I’m reading books on the secret space program, I’m talking to people that work underground for six months at a time, that are confiding in me about the national security initiatives. I’ve literally read 200 books on the subject, and I don’t spend my time looking at UFO reports or talking to little green men. I’m way past that. If anybody tells you there’s no life in universe, you should be turned off. That’s just such a dumb thing to say. It’s totally, universally accepted amongst the country’s elite scientific establishments that there’s life everywhere. The question is what kind, where, how’d they get here, what are they doing when they get here, and how do we communicate with them? That’s when you start reading books about the mind and consciousness, and telepathy and ESP. It’s a whole different program.

~ T. Delonge, Security specialist, astrophysicist, xenobiologist, rocket scientist, musician

Photo: Sharon Hill, Area 51 Visitors Center, NV.

Don’t waste your time on me. You’re already the voice inside my head.

13 comments for “Blink-182’s Delonge detours into UFO-alien land

1. July 30, 2015 at 10:31 AM

“I’m reading books on physics,” he stated. This kind of thing just irritates me to no end, the use of physics (or what appears to be physics) to justify a belief in aliens/UFOs/quack cures/pretty much everything unscientific. Some people throw out a bunch of physics terms (I’m thinking of Deepak Chopra, for one), twist the meanings all around, and then connect it to stuff that isn’t even remotely connected to physics at all.

And people like me, who cannot understand anything beyond the “Intro to Physics” class in college, get our heads in a knot trying to understand what they’re saying. Eventually I just gave up arguing with anyone about it, because I am not smart enough to be able to untangle what they’re claiming in order to prove them wrong.

Basically, now I look at the source – if the source isn’t a scientist, specifically a physicist, then I don’t waste my time. Even then…if the claims are too wild, too woo-sounding, too convoluted, too argumentative for the existence of something we have no proof at all for, I don’t try to engage my poor ol’ noggin with any of it.

I like the band’s music. I wish the dude would just stick with that.

2. Mike C.
    July 30, 2015 at 10:46 AM

Who (or what) is Blink 182?

3. Kurt
    July 30, 2015 at 11:12 AM

They were very a popular pop punk band with folks my age (roughly 25 – 35) for a while. I saw them open up for No Doubt once.

4. Eric
    July 30, 2015 at 1:27 PM

To preface this statement I absolutely do not believe extraterrestrials have visited the earth but just wanted to toss this out there for comment.

I’m interested in peoples’ opinion on a somewhat contradictory scientific positions.

“Mainstream science” – high degree probability that life exists beyond earth given statistical probability of stars etc etc. Spend $100m searching for signals / messages of intelligent life.

Yet believe that this life which is advanced enough to have signals that can be picked up had visited the earth and you are the lunatic fringe all of a sudden.

Frankly it seems the belief in the two positions are not that far apart?? Yes I know the vast distances of space makes travel impossible etc etc. but again are the two believes really that far apart?? One “mainstream” and one laughing stock lunatic??

5. rhapakatui
    July 30, 2015 at 2:27 PM

Frankly, I’m much more entertained by talk of UFOs and secret underground government compounds than I ever have been by a Blink 182 album. Keep up the uhh… work? Tom.

Who knew the skeptic community had such a high concentration of Blink 182 fans?

6. Sk3ptik0
    July 30, 2015 at 3:00 PM

It boils down to evidence.
    There is strong evidence that life may be pervasive around the Cosmos.

There is NO evidence they ever visited us.

7. Lagaya1
    July 30, 2015 at 3:01 PM

The first problem is what they mean by life. Bacteria-like life would be life without being intelligent. And even finding bacteria would be a world-changing event. But the bacteria wouldn’t contact us.

If you mean intelligent life, we don’t know that they would even be aware of our existence, for one thing; and if so, the problem of travelling to another world at less than the speed of light would mean it would take ridiculous amounts of time for them to get here from any planet that could harbor such life.

I’m sure there are many more reasons, but I can think of these two. I’m not a scientist.

8. Rich
    July 30, 2015 at 3:05 PM

Well, there’s life, there’s intelligent life, there’s self-aware intelligent life, there’s self-aware intelligent life that developed technology, there’s self-aware intelligent life that developed a technology that transmits signals we can detect, and then there’s self-aware intelligent life that has developed technology sufficient to travel the practically unimaginable distances between us and wherever they might be. I’d say there’s a massively long way between the first part of that sentence and the last, and not just grammatically.

9. Eric
    July 30, 2015 at 4:49 PM

Contradiction continued.

Evidence – evidence of life on other planets?? I guess I missed that news event. Seems there is as much evidence of visitations as there is life which is zero. Unless I’ve missed something big.

Type of life – if we are looking for radio and other signals with the 100m SETI program we obviously believe that there is intelligent life out there.

Again this is my disconnect. If Stephen Hawkins thinks we are going to receive a radio signal from an intelligent civilization from space than why is it totally insane to think that one of these civilizations have visited us??

10. Lagaya1
    July 30, 2015 at 5:48 PM

Well, the reasons given above for one.

Also, radio signals travel much easier than people.

11. One Eyed Jack
    July 30, 2015 at 9:06 PM

Reverse your hypothesis. Suppose we discover intelligent life on another planet. Then also suppose we develop the technology that allows us to traverse the thousands or millions of light years to reach this alien life form. Having gone to all that trouble, would we then hide in the shadows or make contact?

Why would an alien civilization do the same (hide)? Like others have stated, the belief in alien life is not absurd, but the evidence does not support that anyone/thing has ever visited Earth.

12. eleggua
    July 31, 2015 at 1:01 PM

“Personally I think we are the only advanced life if not the only life period in the galaxy.”

This galaxy is a tiny part of the universe.

13. Tony
    July 31, 2015 at 7:05 PM

Everyone’s gotta have a hobby, I suppose.