Scotsman runs total garbage about fossil “Nessie”

This ranks up there with the worst news piece about a fossil I have ever seen.

Loch Ness Monster’s ‘great granny’ is discovered – The Scotsman.

NO! And it’s not just the headline that is wrong.

NESSIE hunters have been searching for decades for evidence that she exists and that her relatives populated the Highlands in prehistoric times.

But the proof may finally have been found – and it has been under the noses of Highlanders for over a century.

The fossil is a placoderm (armored) fish, Pterichthyodes milleri, from the Devonian age, so it’s around 400 million years old. (Note that the Scotsman spelled the name wrong.) It’s not a new discovery and it has NOTHING to do with plesiosaurs that are commonly speculated to be what Nessie is. Nessie does not exist except as a myth. Reports of a creature have many and various explanations. Plesiosaurs died out 65 million years ago. This fish also is extinct.

Pterichthyodes_milleri from  http://dinopedia.wikia.com/wiki/File:Pterichthyodes_milleri_by_Andrewsarchus89.jpg

Pterichthyodes_milleri from http://dinopedia.wikia.com/wiki/File:Pterichthyodes_milleri_by_Andrewsarchus89.jpg

But people quoted in the article make a valiant effort to say REALLY DUMB THINGS!

The president of the Official Loch Ness Fan Club, Gary Campbell went to the Inverness Museum, “spotted the fossils and saw the resemblance with Nessie”.

“It became clear that what we have here could be Nessie’s great granny” ~Dr Evelyn Gray

“If you think of the picture that most people have in their heads of the Loch Ness Monster, our fossils pretty much meet what they would expect. ~ Museum curator Cait McCullagh

Mr Campbell, president of the Nessie fan club, said: “This is fantastic news for all Nessie fans. For the first time, visitors to Loch Ness can be guaranteed to see a real Nessie, notwithstanding that it’s a few years older than her relative in the loch today.”

Everyone quoted in this piece should be embarrassed. This is fiction through and through. I actually had to check the date to see if it was published April 1st.

7 comments for “Scotsman runs total garbage about fossil “Nessie”

1. busterggi (Bob Jase)
    April 4, 2015 at 5:18 PM

If fish could blush…

2. Ronald H. Pine
    April 4, 2015 at 5:40 PM

And, of course, there were no dinosaurs that early for that fish to live among, plus the fact that the group it belonged to became totally extinct not much later and never gave rise to anything at all subsequently, plus the fact that its structure was such that it could never give rise to anything on the order of the sort of thing that Nessie is said to be, plus heaven only knows what similarities the two are supposed to have–it looks about as much like Nessie is supposed to look as a grasshopper does–plus I could go on forever. Any number of fossil creatures chosen at random would be as similar or more similar to the imaginary Nessie. Sharon, you are absolutely right, for me also this is the most incredibly and mind-bogglingly ridiculous, asinine, stupid, and infuriating (and then words fail me) thing I have ever read about a fossil, except maybe for some of the stuff that the Creationists have written about them.

3. keith
    April 4, 2015 at 6:59 PM

This just goes to prove that just because someone has a PHD doesn’t mean they have a brain.

4. Eric
    April 5, 2015 at 8:26 AM

My guess is that this had nothing to do with science or belief but just plain old $$$. The “nessy fan club” is also known as the Loch Ness tourism board. Paranormal tourism is big money people.

5. Ronald H. Pine
    April 5, 2015 at 12:25 PM

keith: I wonder if maybe Dr. Evelyn Gray, the “orthopaedic researcher,” who I assume is the person you’re referring to as the Ph.D.-holding individual, actually has an M.D instead. I tried to find out what I could about this online, but failed in the attempt. But maybe you know something that I don’t about this person.

6. jerrywayne
    April 5, 2015 at 10:54 PM

Yes. Just in time for the summer tourist season.

7. Anthony
    April 7, 2015 at 8:49 AM

I have to agree that is garbage. I have not read the Scotsman in years and wont be hurrying back if that’s the sort of tripe they print.