These stories seem to come up periodically – young adults head to the rainforest for an “experience” and they get way more than they bargained for.
She had been gone nine days when staff at a rainforest retreat where she was staying called her parents in Saskatoon to tell them she had died.
Logan’s younger sister says they learned that the 32-year-old had a medical reaction after drinking tea during a ceremony with a shaman. She was taken by motorcycle and boat to hospital but doctors could not revive her.
Initial autopsy results found she died of pulmonary edema, an accumulation of fluid in that lungs that can cause respiratory failure.
But the family is awaiting further tests in the next few weeks that may show whether the tea was to blame.
Amy Logan said staff at the all-female retreat made various teas for clients and, on Jan. 17, crafted a drink for her sister to give her “clarity on her future path.” The teas are designed to make people vomit, or purge and cleanse the body.
The cup and jug that she was drinking from was taken for testing. The “tobacco purge” which is what she apparently underwent, can be used as a pre-ritual before an ayahuasca ceremony. According to the Peru Nature website [spelling errors in original]:
The tobacco it is a master plant used in the amazon to purify the liver, respiratory sistem, to clarify the thoughts and emotions. The ritual involves drinking 2 liters of tobacco tea, while the healer its working in your energies you dispose of the tea by vomiting. The after ritual feeling of cleansing, strenght, peace and relax its perfect to get in the ayahuasca ceremony during night.
Several deaths have occurred after taking the psychedelic plant ayahuasca. Detoxing is nonsense and, as we see here, potentially harmful. The human body is capable of cleansing itself when needed through elimination. The added nonsense about spiritual and emotional cleansing may be convincing for some in a New Age, mystical state of mind. In this case, the tea was violently rejected by the body. That’s not good, it’s not healthy to induce such a reaction. This facility is said to fully advise participants who sign a written waiver. The shaman was said to have 20 years experience. That these retreats tend to be rather far from emergency medical help also may play a role in the deaths.
Tip: Paul Kron
Correction: Title changed “from” to “after”. We don’t necessarily know the tea effect killed her.