The story behind the story behind the stories of the Ammons exorcism

Indianapolis Star reporter Marisa Kwiatkowski wrote the story about the “Hell House” exorcisms of Latoya Ammons and the trouble she had with her home and children in story from January 2014. That story was huge garnering international coverage. It became the most popular story the paper covered. Ever. And interest continues.

Exorcism: The story behind the story of demonic possession in Gary.

When it published in January, “The exorcisms of Latoya Ammons” became an instant sensation. I fielded hundreds of calls and emails from people all over the world. Movie and TV producers clamored to connect with Ammons for the right to tell her story. Zak Bagans, host and executive producer of “Ghost Adventures” on the Travel Channel, was so intrigued that he bought the Carolina Street home in Gary, Ind., where the family says many of the events occurred.

“The exorcisms of Latoya Ammons” is now the most-read piece in The Indianapolis Star’s history. Not bad for an article that almost never published.

She adds some details about how it came about. She must assume everyone is telling the truth. I also do not think it is a hoax, I think these people are living their beliefs. That’s dangerous.

I wrote up an update on what is going on at the house, now owned by Ghost Adventures’ Zak Bagans here at Randi.org: The Indiana “hell house” is off limits to proper investigation but media producers welcome – JREF.

8 comments for “The story behind the story behind the stories of the Ammons exorcism

1. One Eyed Jack
    November 3, 2014 at 9:44 PM

Why do skeptics and non-believers never get possessed by daemons?

2. Conceptually Sane
    November 3, 2014 at 11:34 PM

It’s because our rational “belief structure” interprets demon possession as mental illness and we seek treatment or counseling to “exorcise” our demons. Really rather mundane and effective, thus the lack of movie deals…

3. November 4, 2014 at 12:18 AM

I know. I’m totally willing to be driven around by a demon or spend a night in a haunted house. I want to believe in these things so badly, but sadly I’m not that stupid. I found a site called altered dimensions. Net or something similar, and it was all stuff that was debunked or totally ridiculous. It’s better to just make fun of believers (or find a way to profit from them).

4. Chris Howard
    November 4, 2014 at 9:48 AM

I’ve heard fundamentalist claim that we are. The demon that possesses us IS skepticism.

5. November 4, 2014 at 1:55 PM

Yep. Communism and Rationalism (and probably Humanism) are the Devil’s tools. (~maniacal laugh~)

6. Chris Howard
    November 4, 2014 at 2:31 PM

I KNEW IT!

🙂

7. November 4, 2014 at 5:53 PM

I should clarify — I’m not a Communist 🙂

8. November 5, 2014 at 11:53 AM

That’s exactly what a damn dirty red commie bastard would say!

We’re onto you!