I heard of the passing of paranormal researcher Peter Underwood via Twitter. Thanks to Cindy Bowers of Group of Fort FB group for finding this Hidden Highgate site obit. I have contacted some people who knew him and will add comments as I get them.
I am sad to write that Peter Underwood, legendary researcher and author upon the supernatural passed away on the morning of 26th November 2014 aged 91 years of age. He leaves behind his son Chris and daughter Pamela. Peter was chairman of The Ghost Club for over thirty years, and contributed a vast amount of research material and opinion to the ever developing area of paranormal research throughout his lifetime.
Underwood was an expert on the haunting of the Borley Rectory, which gained a reputation as “the most haunted house in England” – mainly due to the promotion by popular media personality, ghosthunter Harry Price. Underwood became the literary executor of the Harry Price Estate.
Peter was an author of several books, lectured on paranormal topics and wrote for and appeared on TV and radio programs on the subject of ghosts and hauntings from 1948-1988. He was president of the oldest paranormal research club – the Ghost Club in the UK – from 1962 to 1993. It appears he was still working on projects up until his death.
Underwood’s other appointments (taken from his cached website):
- Life President, Ghost Club Society (founded 1851)
- President, Unitarian Society for Psychical Studies
- Patron, Paranormal Site Investigators (Swindon)
- Patron, Ghost Research Foundation
- Patron, Ghost Investigation
- Life Member: Vampire Research Society
- Fellow: Royal Society of Arts
- Member: Society for Psychical Research, (SPR), Association for the Scientific Study of Anomalous Phenomena (ASSAP), Society of Authors, etc.