A tree grows in Iowa: Resembles Virgin Meh-ry

Mystery? Puh-leeze. This image are a dime a dozen. Meh.

Mystery grows on tree trunk in Iowa.

You hear about people seeing images of Jesus or the Virgin Mary in all kinds of places from a potato chip to fruit to now — a tree in Iowa.

Some people say they see the Virgin Mary growing out of the tree trunk. Some say it looks like Jesus and others say it looks like Mother Mary holding the baby Jesus.

The shape in the trunk is about six feet high or better.

This is just a typical case of pareidolia, a misperception or illusion where something vague or obscure appears clear and distinct. It usually involves seeing faces in vague patterns and it’s very common that religious figures are what people tend to interpret.

Virgin Mary image in a tree. Screenshot from

Virgin Mary appearing in a tree. Screenshot from KCCI News.

Here is another interpretation, Mother Mary holding baby Jesus. Screenshot from

Here is another interpretation, Mother Mary holding baby Jesus. Screenshot from KCCI News.

We’ve covered lots of these religious pareidolia stories over the years, like the one where Jesus appears in the anus of a dog, in bird crap on a car windowshield or on the back of a stingray.

It’s all nonsense.

10 comments for “A tree grows in Iowa: Resembles Virgin Meh-ry

1. November 21, 2014 at 2:56 PM

I forget if this link has been posted before, but it could use a retoast, I mean a … with Modern Technology, such images aren’t always random:

While this post is about images, there’s also sound pareidolia, as demonstrated by (among other things) the reverse speech dot whatever guy about 15 years ago. I remember Art Bell interviewing him about 15 years ago, and the site is still there!

2. BobM
    November 21, 2014 at 3:07 PM

I’m sort of stating the obvious, but it’s funny how it’s always the Virgin Mary or Jesus. To me – being an atheist, it’s mamma Cass and Billy Connolly :-).

3. Lagaya1
    November 21, 2014 at 4:52 PM

I suspect spray-paint enhancements.

4. Alan
    November 21, 2014 at 6:27 PM

Of course it’s all nonsense. The first thing to remember is that these people never existed in the first place and even had they, there is not one photo/ painting/ image etc to relate these artifacts to.

5. busterggi
    November 21, 2014 at 7:24 PM

Why does she have a cello tucked under her chin?

6. RayG
    November 23, 2014 at 12:25 PM

Sorry, doesn’t look like the Madonna… More like Madonna’s va-jay-jay as done by Georgia O’Keefe

7. busterggi
    November 23, 2014 at 1:07 PM

Where’s the cow skull?

8. Bill T.
    November 23, 2014 at 1:13 PM

It really appears, to me, to be “enhanced”, I wish a reliable person would take a look at it and report.

9. ChristineRose
    November 23, 2014 at 3:02 PM

She looks to me like she has floor-length blond hair and is wearing a g-string and nothing else. The lines for the baby don’t even match the markings on the tree. The virgin Mary is not a stripper who wears a tacky wig.

10. Mike C.
    November 24, 2014 at 7:26 AM

It doesn’t resemble anything to me. That must be because I’m an Atheist and was never a Christian to start with.