Black eyed kids of Cannock Chase is a spooky myth

The Birmingham Mail cites a 2013 unconfirmed story to scare people. Spooky but very contrived – a modern urban legend with no sound evidence that the events related even occurred.

Black Eyed Child returns to haunt Cannock Chase.

A leading paranormal investigator has scoured a Staffordshire beauty spot following chilling sightings of a spectre known locally as The Black Eyed Child.

Lee Brickley launched an in-depth investigation of Cannock Chase after reports that the ghoulish apparition has returned to the sprawling heathland.

The child was last spotted 30 years ago, sparking worldwide interest – and is today a cult internet sensation.

There have been similar sightings of Black Eyed Children around the world.

“Some people believe them to be extra-terrestrials, vampires or ghosts,” said Lee.

black-eyed-girl_Cannock

This picture really does scare me, no black-eyes necessary. (I think she sat next to me in 1st grade and stole my lunch money.)

Cannock must be a weird place. Not only do they have undead ghostly black eyed girls hanging around, they also have pig faced men roaming the streets, as Lee Brickley has shown us previously!

See my extended piece about this story on Randi.org

22 comments for “Black eyed kids of Cannock Chase is a spooky myth

1. Peebs
    September 29, 2014 at 6:46 PM

The genius that was Douglas Adams co-wrote a book called ‘The Meaning of Liff’.

He used placenames to describe common situations which had no proper description or title.

What you know as a chad I always call a Didcot!

Cannock Chase is the futile rummaging through a box of After Eights in the hope of finding a minty chocolate.

2. Steve Chaput
    September 29, 2014 at 8:35 PM

Only heard of the Black-eyed children a couple of months ago on the Skeptoid podcast. Amazing how these things start and take on a ‘life’ of their own. At least with the Slender Man you can track him back to his origin.

3. Kathy Moyd
    September 29, 2014 at 10:10 PM

With all the recent popularity, I’m surprised the children aren’t being called zombies.

4. Chris Howard
    September 30, 2014 at 8:42 AM

One word. Inbreeding.

It’s the only thing that can explain the black eyed, pig faced, trans dimensional, transgender, transcontinental, alien vampire, zombie children of The Chase.

Eastern Kentucky and England’s Royal Court are chock full of the ghastly little buggers.

5. busterggi
    September 30, 2014 at 9:27 AM

So why post a pic of young Jack Nicholson with this article?

Brian Dunning did a good episode on black-eyed kids not that long ago – worth listening to.

6. September 30, 2014 at 9:46 AM

Read the randi.org link, there is a lot more information including skeptoid and snopes references on the origin.

7. Bill T.
    September 30, 2014 at 10:03 AM

“A leading paranormal investigator …”, I believe that sums it up, folks.

“…WHY they dredged up a 2013 blog post …”, slow news day, and it’s MUCH easier and hugely cheaper to recycle a fluff-piece than to get out and do some actual journalism?

8. Peebs
    September 30, 2014 at 1:33 PM

Sadly Bill, it’s how journalism works these days. On this side of the Pond anyway.

I used to be an avid reader of the Daily Telegraph but haven’t bought a copy for over a year. Most real journalists were sacked/made redundant and poorly paid “researchers” brought in.

All they do is scour the internet for current affairs.

Note to Sharon. That isn’t a criticism of this site. Honestly!

9. Bill T.
    September 30, 2014 at 1:39 PM

Peebs, not sure which side you’re on, I’m going to guess you’re in the U.K., over here this is fairly S. O. P. for many, coupled with click-bait headlines.

I’m also going to hazard a guess that we’re in pretty violent agreement on this one?

10. Bill T.
    September 30, 2014 at 1:41 PM

“Read the randi.org (article) …”: never a poor idea?

11. Peebs
    September 30, 2014 at 2:52 PM

You are entirely correct Bill. The Telegraph reference should’ve been a clue!

To be honest, the only organ I read is Private Eye. Even when I was on a deployment I always made sure I had it sent out to me.

’tis my twice monthly dose of righteous indignation.

12. the14thlistener
    September 30, 2014 at 3:22 PM

Do they like eating black-eyed peas or is that too close to home for them? Are they Slenderman’s kids? I do like the alleged American version of the story, “oh they show up in groups at night asking to come into the house.”

13. Tony C
    September 30, 2014 at 5:29 PM

I live in the area where the black eyed kid is supposed to have been seen. The ” leading paranormal investigator” Lee Brickley has written some book according to which I am surounded here by vampires, pigmen werewolves aliens and feck knows what else In the 65 years ive lived here and roamed the local woods and hills, the scariest thing ive seen was a hugely overweight lady sunbathing topless.

14. Chris Howard
    September 30, 2014 at 6:35 PM

The Wikipedia entry is pretty cool.

And Sharron gets a shout out in the entry!

15. Chris Howard
    September 30, 2014 at 6:39 PM

Der! Sorry. I, of course, meant Sharon. Curse my big fat twitchy thumb!

16. Angela
    October 1, 2014 at 6:55 AM

Oh, I don’t know..I rather like it. Kind of has a “Tonight Show” feel to it..”hheeeeeere’s Sharrron!!” =P

I first learned of the black eyed children on a forum. No one had ever personally seen one of course, but they were full of “documented” cases. And by “documented” I mean “I heard this one time on this one site and there were PICTURES..” Excellent piece on the Randi site.

17. October 1, 2014 at 5:06 PM

I have never seen BEK but myself would not doubt they exist. There are many beings out there that have yet to be discovered. I live in Alabama and we haven’t had any sightings… So far…. And hope not to have any sightings. We have what we call a woolybooger. The name is funny but the creature is not. It’s about 9ft tall and very hairy. It’s eyes glow red at night and it likes to stalk its prey… Mainly large animals like cows horses and even large dogs. It sounds like Sasquatch, but the difference is its not a hillbilly in a monkey suit. It’s not ape. It’s a different kind of animal. So I think there are beings out there that we haven’t discovered so I doubt nothing…. Js.

18. October 1, 2014 at 5:45 PM

That’s illogical. Then you believe in invisble sky fish? Pink fuzzy unicorns? Zombies? Vampires?

There is zero evidence for such except stories, which is the worst kind of evidence. You should actually doubt EVERYTHING in order not to be fooled. To doubt nothing is too be overly gullible and easily fooled.

19. October 1, 2014 at 5:50 PM

“We have what we call a woolybooger. […] It’s about 9ft tall and very hairy. It’s eyes glow red at night and it likes to stalk its prey… […] It’s not ape. It’s a different kind of animal.”

Since you seem to be rather knowledgeable about this beast I take it there is indeed a recorded sighting and some kind of scientific evidence for its existence?

20. Rich
    October 2, 2014 at 1:12 PM

Eye-witness testimony is, as we know, a dubious thing, but I used to live in Cannock, and yes, it’s a bit odd. Not supernatural odd. Just odd.

21. Rich
    October 2, 2014 at 1:22 PM

I’m going to have to insist you add those examples to the chart.

22. Dr Hugh
    October 12, 2014 at 9:41 AM

As someone who lives in Cannock and is born and bred here i can tell you that the author of this is so full [removed – editor]

All of his stories are far fetched and created to help fill his pockets, which is sad because there are some gullible people that will buy his book. Also the story has been pushed recently by a Birmingham ”Journalist” who used to run the local Cannock paper before he run it into the ground – Mike Lockley. He was responsible for printing stories that Cannock had alligators, werewolves, vampires, UFO’s…in fact everything but stories of interest…hence why his paper no longer exists.