Frank Sumption, inventor of the “ghost box” has died

The inventor of a device that, to some, allows communication with the dead, has now crossed over for us to perhaps better test the device.

Paranormal Pop Culture: Ghost Box Creator Frank Sumption Has Died.

Frank Sumption, the inventor behind the paranormal investigating device known as “The Frank’s Box” has reportedly died of a heart attack.

The “ghost box” Sumption invented in 2002 was claimed to be an instrumental trans-communication (ITC) device that allowed users to speak to the dead The Others in real-time. The box swept the AM radio band and supposedly the sounds that were being picked up on the constant scan included spirit voices.

Frank was reportedly a very nice guy, friendly with lots of people interested in spirit communication and helpful to them. There is no doubt he will be mourned.

Frank Sumption: Frank’s Box Creator and the Father of the Ghost Box – ITC Voices.

Frank’s idea about his ghost box or spirit box was that the person (via this device) supplies the raw audio that the spirits/entities can use to communicate meaning. The bits of speech, music and noise that come from the random radio frequencies were thought to be controllable by the entities. At least that’s what Frank thought. He really didn’t know for sure and sometimes stated it DIDN’T work at all but many people considered their seemingly meaningful exchanges as evidence of ghosts. The idea was not tested. I don’t know how it could be. But the premise, as a form of “quantum communication”, is preposterous and a nice piece of scienceyness that paranormal investigators too readily buy in to. Frank’s design was open to the public so they could build their own devices. But all Frank’s boxes were handmade and still treasured, even as novelties.

Frank’s Box: The Broken Radio.

Goodbye Frank Sumption, pioneer of the “Ghost Box” that purportedly talks to the dead.

Tip: Strange Frequencies Radio (appropriately enough)

21 comments for “Frank Sumption, inventor of the “ghost box” has died

1. Paul Robinson
    August 17, 2014 at 3:21 PM

Sorry the guy’s passed, but frankly almost reject everything from groups who use this daft gadget. As a sceptical believer in the paranormal crap as you probably think of it, this is one of the things i consider in same frame as the false IOD detector. Sorry if insult any friends who are users, but it’s a random word generator, and if you believe in it you forget the gibberish and create your own conversations or responses if you believe in it. The need to believe is stronger than your objectivity.

• Fyve Ofeight
      August 17, 2014 at 4:36 PM

Dude, the guy died. Say “sorry to hear that” and leave it at that. No need to step on a soap box when reading an obit.

• August 17, 2014 at 7:07 PM

As I said, he was a kind man. But I will not condone the device that made him famous, will be hyped and will go up in value due to his death.

• Mike C.
          August 19, 2014 at 8:14 AM

Well, I suppose it can have value as a collectable. Otherwise it’s just worthless (especially for what it is supposed to do).

• Kiljoy616
        August 18, 2014 at 8:49 AM

The poor guy died so what we all die. So you think we should just forget the crazy or dumb things they did. I see no reason why.

So has he been sending any messages to your box yet?

2. Dubious f
    August 17, 2014 at 3:39 PM

I think he based and/or copied the idea from the movie “frequency” with Dennis Quaid that came out in 2000.
    Everybody knows AM is the ghost frequency now….

• Daniel Whiffing
      August 18, 2014 at 12:18 PM

The radio in the film “Frequency” wasn’t used to talk to ghosts, it went back in time, remember?

• Dubious f
        August 18, 2014 at 4:30 PM

Ahhh! So that’s how it works ..;)

3. August 17, 2014 at 5:08 PM

R.I.P Frank Sumption. The creations Frank made have opened new doors and experiments to try and new ways of possible communication with whatever is sending messages across.

• August 17, 2014 at 7:05 PM

Sorry, no they did not. People may believe they did but there is no evidence, just hope.

• Sam
      August 18, 2014 at 9:37 AM

Sending messages across what?

4. Lora Nichols-DJ Flowerdove
    August 17, 2014 at 7:20 PM

If Frank Sumption is dead, someone else in on his Facebook account, right now…because he’s in my friends’ list, and his account is showing “online”, in chat. Most likely a hoax.

• August 17, 2014 at 7:22 PM

You are assuming only he ran his facebook account. Not a good assumption.

5. Lora Nichols
    August 17, 2014 at 8:17 PM

Actually, I had not assumed that. In fact, I had addressed the possibility of someone in his account, wrapping up things for him, in my comments on FB. Looks like his son’s page, Chad Sumption does give the details of his death. Wow. I just talked to him two days ago…about coffee cake……..
    R.I.P., Frank. Can’t wait to hear your voice on the boxes. :)

6. Angela
    August 18, 2014 at 9:49 AM

Well I am going to say this. I find it absolutely ludicrous that anyone would think skeptics still criticizing the Frank’s Box (and all the cajillion knock-offs that came after) as being “disrespectful” when his followers are talking about having a massive “ghost box session” in his honor. So, those of us who did not agree that this was some breakthrough invention to communicate with otherworldly beings that have never been proven are disrespectful because we continue to stand by our original opinion rather than “let him rest in peace”. The ones wanting to have a ginormous random-sound fest are the ones who aren’t letting him rest.

• August 18, 2014 at 2:44 PM

Thanks, Angela. Note to other commentators: I am not letting through the childish apologists comments. I’m sorry you don’t like this website but it’s not for those who believe without evidence. I said nothing bad about Frank, I just did not like his device. Yet, this is what he is revered for. I have EVERY RIGHT to call it BS. I did the exact same when he was alive. Why would I forego an opportunity to point out that he is remembered for this device and it works just as well now as it did when he was alive. People may need to step away from taking everything personally and THINK about what they accept as reality. You do not have the right not to be offended.

• The Sanity Inspector
        August 18, 2014 at 10:21 PM

I forgot what I wrote, but as it didn’t get through it may have needed a sarc tag. I’ve no patience with the paranormal at all.

But, that’s okay. My online philosophy is, “Only noobs whine about the moderators.”

7. Jenny Stewart
    August 19, 2014 at 10:41 AM

He created the FRANKS BOX not the ghost box …big difference!!! Bill Chapell modified the first hack shack and then UFO Geek took over, How do I know this? Because I named the hack shack the ghost box and was one of the first to utilize it in a investigative setting. Frank would correct someone for calling his the ghost box..so please get it right and give him the proper credit and respect.

• August 19, 2014 at 12:39 PM

Are they similar in design and function though? If not, can you explain the difference?

• Angela