Steven Spielberg, dino hunter

Wait, WAAAAAAT?

A Whole Bunch Of People On Facebook Thought Steven Spielberg Killed A Real Dinosaur.

Internet humourist Jay Branscomb posted it on Facebook with the caption: “Disgraceful photo of recreational hunter happily posing next to a triceratops he just slaughtered. Please share so the world can name and shame this despicable man.”

Steven Spielberg mercilessly trolled by Facebook users who think he killed a dinosaur – People – News – The Independent.

Sometimes you just despair at stupidity.

Incredibly, a fair few members of the public didn’t grasp that the picture was taken from the Jurassic Park set, believing that Spielberg had actually poached a dinosaur; dinosaurs, a breed of animals that became extinct 66 million years ago.

And the story went viral. Did it go viral because people were genuinely outraged? Or is it funny to laugh at incredibly ignorant people? Probably both.

For this to be true, we have to assume that there are lots of people out there that do not know dinosaurs are long extinct and never existed alongside humans. Also, these people must think there are dinosaur hunting areas where humans can interact with them; and, they have never seen Jurassic Park, the movie. That’s some hefty assumptions there but I think some of these people are actually that ignorant. I’m biased, I grew up learning about dinosaurs and extinct animals. But certainly that is not the same for everyone. If you can get through the education system without knowing how to read at average level or do basic maths, you can manage to miss the discussion about dinosaurs no longer being alive.

Honestly, people believe a whole lot of dumb stuff, even worse than this. Sadly, you can get through life being completely oblivious to reality. And still be able to use Facebook.

The post was made as a joke in response to a Facebook photo of a teen who posed next to her kills. Some people are outraged by the pride taken in shooting a disadvantaged animal. Some sport.

steven-spielbergv2

Tip: Mike C and Richard Cornford

16 comments for “Steven Spielberg, dino hunter

1. MrClean417
    July 14, 2014 at 1:22 PM

Finally, an Internet Meme worth supporting. That Evil Speilberg, first the Indianna Jones franchise and now he hunts the Triceratops to extinction? Away with him!

2. drwfishesman
    July 14, 2014 at 2:17 PM

Honestly, the last Indiana Jones movie was the greater crime against nature. Just sayin’

3. Geoff
    July 14, 2014 at 2:52 PM

The article should have grayed out people’s names. There probably aren’t many PenelopeRayzor Bachands.

4. Dbp
    July 14, 2014 at 3:54 PM

I feel like if you think Spielberg was really out shooting dinosaurs, you really deserve public humiliation.

5. Dubious f
    July 15, 2014 at 5:55 AM

Sometimes, ignorance is created. Implant an erroneous information in a kid’s mind and nourish it through education and religion and you’ll create a person that will disbelieve the obvious truth. That’s where the name Creationists comes from…

6. CLamb
    July 15, 2014 at 3:50 PM

Reminds me of when Jurassic Park was first released. People were amazed at the effects. I heard many comments along the lines of, “Wow! They look just like real dinosaurs.”.

7. Rayemond
    July 15, 2014 at 4:04 PM

I really think that these comments are all sarcastic, perhaps with the odd one from someone who glanced at the picture and assumed it was a rhino. Perhaps you who believe that these people genuinely don’t realise that dinosaurs are extinct are the gullible ones!

8. July 15, 2014 at 5:25 PM

How do you comment on the intensity of such ignorance without being cruel? I suppose I could say, “No, no no, it’s not real. Dinosaurs went extinct a really, really long time ago.” But I’m not sure that would do any good. That kind of ignorance seems to be impenetrable.

I’m just going to walk away now, sadly shaking my head.

9. July 15, 2014 at 6:46 PM

As I said, it’s not a stretch for people to believe utterly ridiculous things. Ignorance is rampant. It’s certainly no surprise people don’t have a clue that is a dinosaur (maybe they thought it was a rhino) let alone that they are long extinct.

10. al fair
    July 16, 2014 at 2:43 AM

I think definitely a large percentage of these comments were from people who don’t know that triceratops are (were) dinosaurs. even if you know dinosaurs are extinct, there are enough strange animals alive now, and enough reason not to know about specific sorts of dinosaurs, that it’s totally reasonable to just be outraged someone killed an exotic animal you weren’t aware of.

if it was a Tyrannasaurus, I think it’d be different.

11. Bill T.
    July 16, 2014 at 10:01 AM

I’m going to quibble, I would edit your post thus: “… through “education” and religion …”.

I believe your basic premise to be correct, ignorance is too often fostered rather than corrected.

12. curtis ballendine
    July 16, 2014 at 9:03 PM

Better still are the proud comments proclaiming the E.T. shot to be fake.

13. John Nowak
    July 17, 2014 at 8:42 AM

Hard to say. Certainly I would be tempted to share an image like this with mock outrage.

14. Gridlock
    July 17, 2014 at 9:59 AM

Of course, millions of Americans will eat a dinosaur this Thanksgiving.

15. Artor
    July 17, 2014 at 8:18 PM

There absolutely are people who believe dinosaurs live alongside man, and recently. And there are even more people who believe them without question. Sure, maybe some were sarcasm, but I’ll bet some aren’t. Read the specific comments, and you can get the flavor of which are which. Or not, Poe’s Law being what it is.