Lovely Bavarian crop circle lures new agers

It’s a bit humorous that people still treat crop circles with such spiritual significance when it’s well-known that they are human-created. Still, they are so artistic and quite beautiful.

Crop circle in Germany attracts many visitors – US News.

Thousands of people are trekking to a Bavarian farmer’s field to check out a mysterious set of crop circles.

The ornate design was discovered by a balloonist last week and news of the find quickly spread online.

Farmer Christoph Huttner, who owns the wheat field near Weilheim, couldn’t be reached for comment Wednesday but told the dpa news agency Tuesday he didn’t create the circle himself.

He suggests students on summer holiday may have cut the image with a 75-meter diameter (246 feet) into his field.

People are seen meditating as well as singing and dancing. No word on if he is charging admission. As with our last reported crop circle, often the artists get permission from the farmer. This landowner is not divulging that information. But he seems to be enjoying the attention.
germany cropcircle

11 comments for “Lovely Bavarian crop circle lures new agers

1. Sam
    July 31, 2014 at 8:07 PM

Looks very much like Pennsylvania Dutch folk art hex barn signs too me :)

2. matt crowley
    July 31, 2014 at 8:13 PM

In some high resolution overhead photos of crop circles one can see the “toolmarks” used in creating the circle. Analogous to seeing the tracks made by individual hairs within a brush stroke in a painting, one can see adjacent tracks made by the “stomper boards.”

Most crop circles have radial symmetry and show evidence of simple Euclidian constructions. If crop circles were created by an “intelligence” other than humans, why don’t we see other artistic styles, like we see in modern urban graffiti, or in ancient cave painting? Why no two point perspective? If the “intelligences” are so intelligent, why so uncreative?

3. July 31, 2014 at 8:16 PM

The round shape suggests to me that one of these would have been wildly popular and famous if it had shown up a few weeks ago as a soccer ball.

4. One Eyed Jack
    July 31, 2014 at 11:04 PM

Here in the Midwest, corn mazes are rather common. I feel a bit slighted that the new-agers never come to meditate our local pig-shaped corn maze.

Is it the corn they disdain or the pig shape?

• K Friesen
      August 1, 2014 at 11:06 AM

I think they just get frustrated by not being able to figure out how to get out of the maze once they get in.

• Headless Unicorn Guy
      August 2, 2014 at 6:42 PM

Sounds like a natural for guerilla fursuiting as a Minotaur.

5. Joel
    October 8, 2014 at 11:26 PM

“…it’s well-known that they are human-created”

Yes it is widely believed that all crop circles are man made, but what doesn’t seem to be widely known is the variety of physical evidence in some crop circles that points to the contrary. I’d like to see some substantial critique of this evidence that to my knowledge has never been properly replicated by circle-stompers (exploded crop nodes, stretched crop nodes, spherical magnetic deposits in the soil, crop bent over at the base rather than broken as they are by stomper boards).

I recall the National Geographic channel sponsored an attempt to replicate these effects but unfortunately failed.

Not expecting you to take on something like this Sharon, it would be a big task, but nonetheless very important to somehow scientifically rule out this evidence.

• October 9, 2014 at 8:10 AM

Such things would actually have to be documented first. Is this in journals where experts in agriculture could examine them?

• Joel
        October 10, 2014 at 4:34 AM

I apologise for the length of this response, I understand this kind of debate shouldn’t be for blog comments so I don’t mind if it’s not posted. It’s more about me trying to reach out to other critical thinkers to challenge my thinking.

There are some journal articles written by a group called “BLT Research” that have been published:

I did some digging in my university’s database but only found two responses to the first article:

Haselhoff, E. H. (2001), Opinions and comments on Levengood WC, Talbott NP (1999) Dispersion of energies in worldwide crop formations. Physiol Plant 105: 615–624. Physiologia Plantarum, 111: 123–124.

Deardorff, J. W. (2001), Opinions and comments on Levengood WC, Talbott NP (1999) Dispersion of energies in worldwide crop formations. Physiol Plant 105: 615–624. Physiologia Plantarum, 111: 125

Some public criticism on the internet seems to focus on BLT’s research methods:

Despite all this, I can’t see any serious objections to the actual existence of the physical evidence. Instead, the controversy seems to centre on the scientific methods used to investigate them. I think some serious research needs to be done to explain this evidence. No career minded scientist would go near this stuff and I don’t blame them. Science should be all about challenging the status-quo, though I’m afraid the scientific establishment claims a monopoly over the scientific method. In my view the biggest problem science faces (other than effectively communicating its findings) is this status-quo and the political economy of the establishment.

I agree that there is an extreme amount of kookiness attached to this topic. But the notion that there are circle stompers mixing magnetised iron samples into the soil, zapping crop nodes until they explode from steam, and somehow layering crop in orthogonally different directions without breaking stalks, seems equally as kooky.