Cop fired when supernatural beliefs got in the way of doing his job

Oh brother, this guy’s extreme beliefs impeded his ability to do his job and affected others in the workplace. But he’s claiming discrimination.

Cop claims feds are targeting him because he believes in ghosts.

A Department of Veterans Affairs cop [Valdo Vaher], convinced his former New Jersey workplace is haunted by evil spirits, says the feds are using his belief in ghosts as an excuse to fire him, The Post has learned.

“This seems strange to some people, but for religious Catholics like myself, many feel as I do about this — that there are spirits in the world and they sometimes show themselves and are more likely to be doing this in and around hospitals, where people suffer and die,” he told The Post.

The VA initiated a long and bitter legal battle to permanently exorcise Vaher because, it charges, he’s basically too crazy to be a cop.

In February, he was stripped of his gun, placed on modified duty and reassigned to another New Jersey facility for “making bizarre statements and displaying unusual behaviors,” according to a letter from VA Deputy Police Chief Bernais McNeil.

Vaher has been labeled a safety risk to his co-workers due to his rants about evil spirits. He was, in fact, fired once before, but was reinstated by a judge last year. He’s convinced his work site is haunted. This is apparently fueled by his devout religious tenets.

However, where is the evidence? Is this how police officers make their cases stick? By stories that aren’t backed by physical or documentable evidence. He sounds like he’s incapable of being objective and focusing on his job. Is there a law that requires an employer to keep an employee who is judged as being disruptive?

Vaher has been in another tiff with law enforcement. He filed suit in 2010 against the Orangetown police Department saying they harrassed him. Vaher had a gun collection and claimed the police raided his house. Several altercations are listed to have occurred.

Maybe when you are the source of this much trouble in your community, it just MIGHT be you, not everyone else to blame.

16 comments for “Cop fired when supernatural beliefs got in the way of doing his job

1. Gary
    July 28, 2014 at 8:55 PM

I don’t think I can use his religion as an excuse because, as far as I know, Catholicism doesn’t support a belief in ghosts.

It’s somewhat similar to people refusing vaccines citing a religious exemption, but not belonging to one of the few religions that opposes vaccines.

• B
      July 28, 2014 at 10:33 PM

Gary – You’re right, the Roman Catholic Church does not teach a belief in ghosts. However, there are a few churches that call themselves Catholic, but are not affiliated with the Roman Catholic Church. I have no idea what they might teach about ghosts. It’s possible that he belongs to one of those. Or he’s just crazy.

• One Eyed Jack
      July 29, 2014 at 1:37 PM

Demons and exorcism are A oh Kay, but ghosts? That’s just silly. ;-)

• Dubious f
      July 30, 2014 at 4:15 PM

Not a religion but Scientologists refusing blood transfer. Lots of kids are in peril with that adult nonsense…

2. Peter Robinson
    July 29, 2014 at 1:55 AM

Surely best guess is the man is mentally ill? A belief in ghosts/spirits is a delusion, but to go around ranting about it surely is a step over the line into more serious madness.

3. Adam
    July 29, 2014 at 6:29 AM

I’m sure there is a fine line between strongly religious and mentally disturbed (which I believe are points on the same graph), but this guy doesn’t appear to leave much doubt which side he’s on.

4. Tracy
    July 29, 2014 at 8:00 AM

Jeeze, he sounds like the cop that wrote a book about his “demon” hunting. There was a crappy movie loosely based on him/his book earlier this summer. Another “devout Catholic”, too. Hmmm….

• Tribeca Mike
      July 29, 2014 at 12:36 PM

“Deliver Us From Evil.” The trailer reminds me of the cheap flicks we used to see at Times Square grindhouses. According to Box Office Mojo, it had a budget of $30 million and so far has earned $30 million. Eric Bana, a good actor, might want to think about getting a new agent.

5. Paul de Boer
    July 29, 2014 at 12:58 PM

Damn, from the title I was waiting to hear he shot at a hairy guy believing he was a werewolf.

6. July 29, 2014 at 3:54 PM

People shouldn’t be allowed to carry or even own a gun if they believe in ghosts, supernatural things, afterlife, etc.. Because they obviously don’t value human life for what it actually is.

7. Peebs
    July 30, 2014 at 1:48 PM

Just wondering. What do the Department of Veteran Affairs investigate?
    And if I were to reside your side of the Pond would I have reason to be worried?

• Bill T.
      July 31, 2014 at 6:30 PM

I’m not sure I understand your question, but here goes:

The U. S. Department of Veterans Affairs is not an investigative body (and I’m pretty sure you weren’t suggesting it is).

The office of the Inspector General is responsible for investigating “… crimes committed against programs and operations of VA and allegations of serious violations of policies and procedures by high-ranking members of the Department” (http://www.va.gov/oig/about/default.asp), and other audtin, review and inpsection services, to name a few.

• Bill T.
        July 31, 2014 at 6:45 PM

OK, I’m guilty, once again, of not doing a good job of reading for content.

I don’t know what a “Department of Veterans Affairs” cop is, so your question is a very fair one. I couldn’t find any apparent division that would have any sort of law enforcement function, and there is nothing in its charter that suggests it would have such a function.

I’m going to hazard aguess that it’s a physical security vs. enforcement/investigative function (such as helping control entrance to restricted areas).

• Peebs
        July 31, 2014 at 6:51 PM

Many thanks for your explanation. I will admit I was being tongue in cheek.
        But as a veteran of Her Majesty’s Britannic Royal Navy and guilty of many affairs (I am single – now!) I just wondered what the department is responsible for.

Thanks for your explanation.

I shall now remove my tongue from my cheek!

• Bill T.
          August 1, 2014 at 8:23 PM

You understand that nothing I wrote should give you any confidence of having no reason to worry if you decided to live over here?

An HMBRN vet (is that a proper acronym?), thanks for standing shoulder to shoulder with our sons, husbands, daughters, moms, …, and being such staunch allies. A president of Mexico took umbrage when Clinton(?) mentioned the special relationship between the U. S. and the U. K., but I kinda like to think there is.

8. D
    July 30, 2014 at 5:00 PM

This guy is like a real life Agent Mulder. Except in real life, Mulder would have gotten fired a long time ago.