Absurd idea for video enhancement to “capture proof of ghosts”

$50K for a video service to see ghosts, or should I say more rightly, anomalies that people will say are ghosts.

TVTechnology: New Video Enhancing Service Looks to Find Ghosts.

The creator of a new Hidden Intelligence Tracking (HIT) technology is seeking crowdfunding under the auspices of helping users capture video proof that they are actually seeing ghosts, or other paranormal activity.

HIT creator Joe DiMare said with their image enhancing technology, anyone can shoot a 30-second video and submit it to have minor changes in light and motion amplified to reveal evidence of the paranormal. DiMare has launched a crowdfunding campaign to raise $49,999 by August 5 to speed the video rendering process and expand other computer capabilities so that more videos can be processed quicker.

The technology is being targeted at videographers, private detectives, students, educators, and anyone interested in “seeing a greater truth.” DiMare said HIT utilizes the same techniques that astronomers use to discover new planets, but the rendering process for one short video requires an entire computer’s capabilities for several days. The crowdfunding campaign will help create a rendering cluster so that multiple videos can be rendered simultaneously.

I won’t even address the fact that no video is “proof of ghosts”. That’s not how knowledge works. Regardless, this fundraiser just sounds completely ridiculous.  What does he mean by amplified video? Amplify just means to make something stronger and larger. It’s easy to do with sound, all you need is a microphone. When you manipulate regular sound recording at so-called paranormal locations, you get EVPs (what they call electronic voice phenomena which again is just anomalies with several possible explanations, NOT GHOSTS).

We currently have easy access to HD cameras therefore, it appears he means to add visual noise which then is left up to interpretation. And you can guess what the default explanation is — PARANORMAL.

The technique is used by astronomers to discover planets? Astronomers have discovered new planets and even galaxies with the Hubble telescope with one VERY simple technique that you can already do with your camera. Long exposure time allows the lens pull in more light. With telescopes, the longer the exposure time, the brighter the image is. When you use the same long exposure time trick with video, you’ll likely just get blurry video. It’s not making any sense.

This is what he claims to do with this new technology:

HIT tech

This looks like filter effects on some video and/or photo editing software. You can easily get these same results in Photoshop or even using filters on Instagram!

One of the more dumbest quotes comes at the end: “With our Ghost Guarantee, we promise to find a ghost on your video if you follow our instruction video.” Ghost Guarantee. HE RENDERS THE VIDEO! Nuff said!

Is this a joke? Because only incredibly gullible people will see any merit in this absurd idea.

Addition: Crowdfunding Sought for ‘Ghost-Detecting’ Computer Program : Discovery News.

Radford contacted DiMare and found exactly what we suspected:

[T]he program simply amplifies both signal and noise in the video, which in turn amplifies existing video artifacts and creates new ones. DiMare’s “ghost-hunting” technology is essentially putting back in the very noise and image distortions that the camera technology has worked to correct and filter out of the image in the first place. When closely examined, some of those video glitches and anomalies may resemble human or other figures, by random chance.

9 comments for “Absurd idea for video enhancement to “capture proof of ghosts”

1. Angela
    July 25, 2014 at 6:26 PM

I’m still kind of blinking. Looking at the guy’s Facebook page, where of course there are more lovely samples of his work. I think he’s trying to get aliens too. I am also trying to leave a comment on the TV Technology site, but every time I try to register, it refuses to load through.

2. Angela
    July 25, 2014 at 6:56 PM

This appears to be an article about it from four days earlier–nothing really new, but the link to the crowdfunding site works better on this one. Only $3.00 so far. Has some gnarly names for what a contribution status would be. Minion 10 for a $10 donation and Fairy Two Five for a $20 drop in the cup.

I keep waiting for the punchline..

3. David
    July 25, 2014 at 11:08 PM

I mentioned this to Sharon on twitter a few weeks ago, since we are talking ghosts now.
    There is an App called Echovox, it works best with an Android device.
    Yes it cost $20 because this app is not a toy, kids or anyone that is not stable should not be using it.
    Set aside 10 minutes a day for a session, for 10 days. Talk about whatever, your surroundings to a lost loved one. Peaceful and pleasant things, Books etc… Say your a skeptic, doesn’t matter. I do my sessions outside, keeping it out of my house but you can do it in your house if you like. Some may say it could open portals, but I don’t know about that.
    However, In those 10 sessions you will find some answers you wouldn’t think possible and probably will go on. It took me15 sessions to go from zero to ok this can not be just coincidences.

the equipment I use is
    Samsung Galaxy 5s
    Echovox app
    a external speaker 808
    a Sony digital recorder to record the sessions.
    I upload my sessions to my pc or my imac
    I then use Audacity free sound program to listen back, you should where head phones and listen.

If you need help with settings I use, I will be glad to help you with settings
    Enable auto blend, Echo set to zero, speed control set more to the right side on all 4 bars, Use Bank A for 5 min, switch to bank B for 5. Bank C is more advanced and at this time you will not need bank C. Press start, make sure your audio recorder is recording before you press start because you don’t want to miss anything. But I don’t have to tell anyone here this because we are all professionally smart in research.

Keep in mind, I’m a normal guy, I even had an office in a hospital for a year that was the converted old morgue and never believed things like this were real. I even go by the name mysteryskeptic on forums.

if you want to check out some highlights to my sessions you can look up mysteryskeptic on youtube, but I suggest you do your own sessions for yourself since the proof and effect will be with in yourself. I have nothing to prove nor will my sessions have an impact on you. But yours will.

If you want to continue to be doubtful don’t attempt this, but don’t criticize it if you have never attempted to fully research it like I have done.

Thanks for listening
    David

• July 26, 2014 at 9:08 AM

That’s NOT how “proof” works and what you described is not a scientific process. Where are your controls? What is the precise question that you are trying to answer from your experiement? Have you any training in things like operational definitions and statistics and confounding factors?

“Research” has quite a broad and loose defition these days… Scientific research is much MUCH more rigorous.

We all don’t need to “research” something that has no basis whatsoever. That’s a waste of time.

• Angela
        July 26, 2014 at 10:44 AM

Sharon, I wish your site had a ‘like’ button. (I know, too much Facebook). Really well said.

• Bill T.
      July 28, 2014 at 1:40 PM

Glad to see you’re a researcher. Please provide links to professional journals where your research has been published.

• busterggi
        July 28, 2014 at 1:49 PM

Or at least the testing done of the app to show its effectiveness in finding ghosts, things like percent pf false positives and any effect the ambient environment has on its results.

4. Jon O
    July 26, 2014 at 11:32 AM

The software reminds me of this useful video analysis tool put out be MIT:
    It can be used to visualize very subtle changes in movement, color, and light, but one big difference is that it’s free.

5. busterggi
    July 26, 2014 at 1:25 PM

There’s already a video-enhancement program already exists – its called Photoshop.