The Strange Remains the same for 18 June 2014

Just living is not enough… one must have sunshine, freedom, and a little flower.
~Hans Christian Andersen

Accused ‘spiritual healer’ charged with blackmail and defrauding a woman appears in court | Leicester Mercury.

Have You Contributed to a Health Scam? – Olga Khazan – The Atlantic.

Evangelist Benny Hinn, Citing Financial Teacher Todd Coontz, Asks Supporters to Donate $1,000 in ‘Higher Seed-Level Giving’.

Lightning strikes NC church; zaps pianist | WGHP Fox 8 Television.

Fantastically Wrong: The Murderous Plant That Grows From the Blood of Hanged Men | Science | WIRED.

Is selling homoeopathy in pharmacy dangerous? – postscript.com.au.

Feds Seize Property at Albemarle Co. Psychic Business.

Police: Man who hates gypsies threatens to kill local psychic  KOMO News.

New Statesman | Health committee chair candidate believes in homeopathy for cows and that full moons affect surgery.

Surgery Under Hypnosis « Science-Based Medicine.

Cat And Lynx Become Inseparable Friends.

cat_lynx

You will love all the optical illusions. See how easily we can be fooled.

idoubtit

Editor and owner of Doubtful News. Writer, specializing in science and society, science policy and education.

7 comments for “The Strange Remains the same for 18 June 2014

1. James G
    June 19, 2014 at 1:26 AM

Whenever I see a story like this I think of Bill the Cat as a televangelist promising that if viewers donate enough money, Jerry Falwell, Jim Bakker, Jimmy Swaggart, and Pat Roberts will be ‘called home’ by God.

I also get a mental image of Martin Luther kicking this guy in the ass. This sounds much like the sale of indulgences, except instead of benefiting you in the afterlife, he seems to be saying they’ll benefit you now. He’s the fast food franchise of divine favour.

2. Indrid Cole
    June 19, 2014 at 7:16 AM

In response to the Benny Hinn story, I’ll just go with the lyrics to that Hank Williams Jr. song,

“Now there are some preachers on T.V. with a suit and a tie and a vest,
    They want you to send your money to the Lord but they give you their address”

• Chris Howard
      June 19, 2014 at 7:31 AM

It’s true.

The Lords address is: PO BOX 7712 Jeffersonville, IN. 47130.

Please make your tax deductible donations payable to Christopher Howard.

I’m The Lords treasurer, FYI.

• ApexDisorder
        June 19, 2014 at 9:11 AM

The checks in the mail brother, I get to go to heaven now, right?

• Chris Howard
          June 19, 2014 at 4:45 PM

Done and done.

Rest assured.

;-)

3. Tribeca Mike
    June 19, 2014 at 9:48 AM

C’mon people and fork up that $1000! Benny Hinn’s outfits don’t wash, starch and iron themselves ya know!

4. Bonnie
    June 19, 2014 at 11:11 AM

Re: Homeopathy in pharmacies. Since they are over-the-counter rather than by prescription, they should have their own section in the store – tho I’d rather they weren’t sold at all.

One time I was at the store looking for an over-the-counter skin remedy. I grabbed one that looked good and didn’t notice until I got home that the “active” ingredient was homeopathic. It wasn’t a total waste of money because the other ingredients were good & it was soothing to my itchy skin, but still, I’d rather not buy into nonsense, even accidentally.