The Strange remains the same for 12 June 2014

Not much to the leftovers today. It was a slow news day. Tomorrow is Friday the 13th and there is a full moon. Just note that means ABSOLUTELY NOTHING.

Cabecao The Psychic Turtle Predicts World Cup Win For Brazil.

BBC News – Malaysia swarmed by giant moths.

BBC News – The lasting allure of the flying saucer.

Antievolution proposal rejected in South Carolina | NCSE.

Al’s sister Donna Llama is visiting distant relatives in South America. She sent a selfie.

llama selfie

Comments are tightly moderated. Please follow the Comment Policy.

idoubtit

Editor and owner of Doubtful News. Writer, specializing in science and society, science policy and education.

8 comments for “The Strange remains the same for 12 June 2014

1. John
    June 13, 2014 at 12:41 AM

Do not fret about tomorrow being Friday 13th.

It’s Friday 13th in Australia right now! And all is going quite smooth. Nothing to report. I will keep you all posted if anything spooky happens so you can be prepared.

2. Indrid Cole
    June 13, 2014 at 9:22 AM

Something bad’s about to happen, I just know it.

3. Chris Howard
    June 13, 2014 at 9:46 AM

I’ve heard that Friday The 13th has something to do with The Last Supper.

Is that true?

4. chemical
    June 13, 2014 at 10:10 AM

I always thought that Friday the 13th was considered unlucky due to an execution order on the Knights Templar either being signed or carried out on a Friday the 13th in medieval times. Or so the story goes. I can’t remember the exact details of the story, and I don’t just want to google the answer because it isn’t exactly the bastion of accurate information.

5. Angela
    June 13, 2014 at 10:47 AM

I’ve heard several thoughts on where it came from. I have also heard that in some countries, it is Tuesday the 13th and I think it is in Italy where Friday the 17th is considered unlucky. (for me, it’s whatever day my bills are due).

6. eddi
    June 13, 2014 at 11:30 AM

Good ol’ Snopes comes through again. Their usual Friday the 13th article is up. http://www.snopes.com/luck/friday13.asp

• Chris Howard
      June 14, 2014 at 6:47 PM

Wow! That was an awesome read. Thanks for the link.

• eddi
        June 16, 2014 at 4:39 AM

Snopes is one of my main go-to sites. Not just for facts but well-researched and entertainingly written facts. The two are not exclusive. And idoubtit (Ms. Hill) is another person with that skill.