Oh, Demi Lovato… just shut it, you sound ridiculous

Demi Lovato should stick to acting and singing because she sounds like a complete idiot when she talks.

Demi Lovato Reveals Her Beliefs on Aliens and Mermaids on ‘Late Night with Seth Meyers’.

On aliens, Lovato states, “I know that they are real. How self-centered would we be, as humans, to believe that we are the only living things in the universe?” Meyers ain’t buying it, “Well, call me self-centered, because I don’t believe in aliens.” On mermaids, she mentions how Christopher Columbus saw three of them on his journey to America but that they don’t look like the pretty sea creatures we see in books. She calls mermaids, “an alien species living in parts of the Indian Ocean, which we have never explored before as human beings — and Christopher Columbus had actually seen three mermaids on his way to America.” When Meyers wants her to draw a pic of what she thinks these alien mermaids really look like, she says that there are pictures online.

Ouch. This is painful to watch. But, sadly, (I KNOW MANY OF YOU DON’T BELIEVE ME) people really do believe this stuff.

Here is the clip from the interview

I get really irritated when people in the skeptical community tell me I waste my time harping over and over again about obvious things. They fail to understand that the average person has a hard time judging good information from poor info and selectively believe what they see on TV or the internet because it sounds cool. We have to keep at it and at least not let SOME fall into this void of nonsense – conspiracy theories, moon landing hoax, aliens, Atlantis and mermaids.

Good on Seth Meyers for keeping his composure. You know what, Demi, I’m not a cynic, I value reality. It’s not sad. It’s enlightening. What’s sad is that you sound like you are 10 years old. I hope that changes.

We can shatter Lovato’s delusion-conclusions pretty easily. But it’s based on belief, not evidence so it’s not going to help much. I don’t know where she does her “research” but I wouldn’t recommend following her lead.

Atlantis: No way, No how, No where – CSI.

Apollo Moon landing hoax – The Skeptic’s Dictionary – Skepdic.com.

Mermaids on Animal Planet | Doubtful News.

(Am I going to get Demi-hate mail now?)

Comments are tightly moderated. Please follow the Comment Policy.

33 comments for “Oh, Demi Lovato… just shut it, you sound ridiculous

1. Indrid Cole
    June 10, 2014 at 8:45 PM

Maybe Seth has discovered his niche, he could be the late night anti Art Bell.

2. Anthony
    June 10, 2014 at 8:49 PM

I have no idea who this woman is but I know more about her now than I want to know. This is so sad. How many young people are going to follow this idiot’s ideas and thoughts? Please tell me she doesn’t have much of a following.

3. June 10, 2014 at 9:24 PM

If any are curious about the reference to Columbus, here is the entry from his journal later edited and published by his son, Fernando Colón, and Bartolomé de las Casas:

====================
    Miércoles 9 de enero. —[…] El día pasado, cuando el Almirante iba al Río de Oro, dijo que vido tres serenas que salieron bien alto de la mar, pero no eran tan hermosas como las pintan, que en alguna manera tenían forma de hombre en la cara.

[Rough translation:]
    Wednesday, January 9. —[…] The next day, when the Admiral was going to the Río de Oro, he said that he saw three sirens that had gone far up from the sea, but they weren’t as beautiful as they say, that in a way they had a man’s face.
    ====================

The most accepted explanation is that he actually saw three manatees. What is most ironic is that Columbus not only resorts to a mythological image to describe what he saw, but he also *refutes* the myth’s very legend. If these were sirens, they certainly couldn’t seduce any sailor with those looks!

4. James G
    June 10, 2014 at 9:29 PM

Keep harping. Changing minds comes through dialogue and information. The world of the occult and pseudoscience are always going to evangalize, and if there is no one there to provide a skeptical viewpoint, some of us may never know any better.

Even Lovato had a few moments there where it looked like she thought that what she was saying was ridiculous. Most of the time, people just don’t know how to differentiate good information from bad.
    In my experience, as long as you keep things light and nonconfrontational, use the Socratic method, and try to inject a bit of humour here and there, you can often get people to admit ‘That is kind of crazy’.

5. Evan
    June 10, 2014 at 10:32 PM

Fair enough call on the mermaids … but aliens? Not such a hard concept considering the size of the universe and the probability that we are not the only life in the universe. Sure, there is no evidence to date and yes, but why would there be so much interest in searching for extraterrestrial life if science didn’t believe their own hypothesis that there is?

6. Massachusetts
    June 10, 2014 at 10:49 PM

The thing that was really sad was how she referenced the Discovery Channel faux mermaid documentary as a great source of information. Then she said they “had to say it was fake the next day”, and that it suddenly “went missing”. She seems like she’s probably a nice, kind person, and successful in her field. But apparently zero critical thinking skills. How does this happen?

• Headless Unicorn Guy
      June 11, 2014 at 1:06 AM

She’s a CELEBRITY(TM).
      What did you expect?

Conspiracy Conspiracy Conspiracy Conspiracy Conspiracy Conspiracy Conspiracy Conspiracy…

7. Shell Bush
    June 10, 2014 at 11:26 PM

I was surprised to learn that Columbus apparently traveled through the Indian Ocean – where Atlantis was located it seems – on his way to the Caribbean.

This would seem to defeat the whole point of finding a westward route, but hey:

Mermaids, y’all.

8. J
    June 10, 2014 at 11:28 PM

I think there are a many facets to this problem. First major one is that we are taught to take a binary position in many areas of pseudoscience and belief. It is not encouraged to say ‘possibly’ or to have a belief, in very human gradients – shades of grey, that, in lieu of further data or falsifiability, that is merely speculative. It’s not cool to say ‘I don’t know’ from the perspective of validating your own ignorance, and especially in areas that that involve observer/conformation bias. Socrates’ “I know that I don’t know” is so seldom observed in people it comes as rather a surprise to most.

My test for promotion of any personal belief is whether I’d teach it to to children. Whether it would be responsible to teach them the inside of peanut-butter is actually negative space. I won’t confirm or deny whether I believe that, but I don’t think it would be responsible to teach it or promote it or recommend others believe it. I don’t think people in the public eye always think about been in the public eye. They have to, but they’re people. She’s fairly young. There are elements of conformation bias in the reactions to it. ‘Young person says something stupid’ covers about a third of celebrity news. I don’t think it’s unexpected or an especially big deal.

Those things are why I love speculative fiction and art. That’s why I love Doubtful News. If they’re viewed as speculative and critically I think they can be positive things. I know that I know nothing. Seems like a good excuse (the inside of peanut butter is actually negative space). There’s stuff I know, sort of know, and mostly stuff I don’t know. Seems like most people. And I’m not comparing myself to Socrates, they didn’t have peanut-butter then and he’d probably fall into the peanut-butter ‘excited gluons’ camp anyway.

9. Bo Gardiner
    June 10, 2014 at 11:36 PM

The mermaid thing is lunacy, of course, as are aliens on earth, but there’s nothing wrong with her saying about aliens: “I know that they are real. How self-centered would we be, as humans, to believe that we are the only living things in the universe?”

• June 11, 2014 at 12:42 AM

I seem to recall Carl Sagan saying something to the same effect.

• Rich
      June 11, 2014 at 5:01 AM

No, there isn’t, but there’s a world of difference between living things being bacteria and living things coming billions of miles to probe Kansas farmers, and you know which she means.

• Bill T.
      June 11, 2014 at 9:46 AM

It seems to make sense that Earth would not be the only planet with life. Science has over-turned many things that seemed to “make sense” at the time. I would be willing to put a wager down that there is life out there, but it’s just that, a gamble, until VERIFIED.

• Gary
      June 11, 2014 at 12:57 PM

Bo, the problem is that they always go on to use that reasoning as support for alien visitation, for which there is no credible evidence. That’s what she means when she says “I know they are real”. She means the visitors.

I would say that it’s self centered to believe that we are so fascinating that they would have traveled so far and use their resources to come visit.

• Justin
        June 11, 2014 at 1:14 PM

Do we not do the same things to other species in our reach? I don’t believe its self-centered to think about it one way or another. I do believe it is self-centered to go into the public eye and profess something as fact that has not even been proven to be remotely accurate

• Lagaya1
      June 11, 2014 at 1:28 PM

My cat has something to say about that…Not that she is also a living thing, but that she doubts that humans are.

10. jess
    June 11, 2014 at 2:25 AM

Seth actually said that she made him believe a little. That it was the most interesting and fun convo he’s has on his show and wants her back, lol.

11. Bill D'Arcy
    June 11, 2014 at 6:17 AM

Notice that Demi Lovato is not wide-spectrum gullible… she immediately and uncompromisingly rejects existance of Bigfoot and the Loch Ness Monster; and is undecided if the Moon landings were real or fake (“I haven’t done my research on that one.”) Her default position seems to be scepticism; but she is very uncritical about “evidence”, believing all kinds of implausible stuff broadcast on “scientific” cable (eg National Geographic/Discovery) channels.

She’s curious about the world around her, but, but not finding the right information. Lack of critical thinking seems to be the main problem here. How many millions of others are in the same position?

(No, I’m not a Demi fan… not at 62 years old.)

12. Massachusetts
    June 11, 2014 at 8:12 AM

I see what you’re saying, but I don’t recall Segan’s exact quotes on the matter, but I suspect he would acknowledge a higher probability, not definite knowledge. For example, “since there are billions upon billions of stars, :) and we know that the elements that make life possible are common throughout the universe, it’s likely there is life somewhere in the universe, and there’s a possibility, somewhere, of intelligent life like our own species.”

Forgive me for inventing a quote rather than researching, but I don’t have much time.

Lovato said that she definitely “knew” alien life existed, AND that they had visited earth. And there’s the rather large difference.

Plus the “self-centered” argument is effectively a emotional argument made when only objective facts matter. You can love the idea of intelligent extraterrestrial life, and find the idea that such a species might visit earth fascinating, but that doesn’t mean you should believe it’s actually happening, unless there’s good evidence to. That doesn’t make you self-centered.

I think if you did discover intelligent extraterrestrial life (with excellent supporting evidence) but took no interest in it and didn’t want to learn more, THEN you would be very self-centered. But that’s a very different scenario.

• Bill D'Arcy
      June 11, 2014 at 8:39 AM

Rich and Massachusetts have hit the nail right on the head. Life, indeed intelligent life “out there” is plausible, because “out there” is so big. To think that “they” have come here to visit us instead of going somewhere else is very self-centered.

Anyhow, it’s a bit rich for Demi Lovato to be speaking against the self-centered point of view!

And is there anything wrong with being self-centered, as long as one isn’t overly self-important or overly self-obsessed?

13. skeptictmac57
    June 11, 2014 at 9:20 AM

The interview reminded me of a conversation/argument that I had with a young woman of about Lovato’s age,who fervently believed in astrology,and claimed it had been “scientifically proved!”. When I asked her what her “proof” was,she exclaimed vehemently “They wrote a WHOLE BOOK about it that I read!”….well…I stand corrected then. Who can argue with “a WHOLE BOOK!”.
    That is the level of evidence that many people find convincing.

14. Bill T.
    June 11, 2014 at 10:03 AM

“I get really irritated when people … tell me I waste my time harping … about obvious things”. Help me out here, folks, who said “Repeat a lie often and loud enough and people will believe it’s the truth”?

If no one calls them out on the lies, then we give them the impression that there is NO response, hence possibly the biggest value of the Nye/Ham argument (Ham doesn’t “debate”).

• Bill D'Arcy
      June 11, 2014 at 10:24 AM

I’ve seen the quote attributed to several people… Hitler and Lenin from my memory; William James (1842-1910), “inventor” of psychology according to Google. The exact wording varies with the supposed originators, so maybe different versions could be attributed to various people.

15. Bill D'Arcy
    June 11, 2014 at 10:16 AM

I’ve often wondered what it would be like to feign innocence, and ask a fervent believer in astrology to point out to me the various Zodiac constellations and planets, including showing me that planet “A” is in “House X” etc. I can identify these planets and constellations, so I would spot BS or ignorance. This star-gazing should be easier knowledge than working out how the alignments influence any person’s life.

The trickiest part might be convincing someone to go for a stroll with me on a dark night. They might turn very sceptical… about my intentions!

16. Lee
    June 11, 2014 at 10:29 AM

I felt my IQ slipping a few points as I viewed this video. My brain hurts! Wait I have no pain receptors in my brain! Damn you, whoever you are! I had forgotten that fact as I went blank, mesmerized by the incredible inanity contained within!

17. John Weber
    June 11, 2014 at 11:27 AM

In the vast universe there is certainly other life. But would we recognize it if we found it? Further, if we did, would our differing psychologies and evolutionary backgrounds allow any sort of communication/understanding?

“Not only is the universe stranger than we imagine, it is stranger than we can imagine.” Quote attributed to several authors.

• Bill T.
      June 11, 2014 at 11:38 AM

As I briefed, above, it’s not an implausible speculation. I would say that it’s highly likely to the point that I would take long odds. However, if there’s no evidence, it’s not science. I get irritated when scientists state, apparently definitively, that since there is no evidence that proves there is no life, also an unwarranted statement.

18. June 11, 2014 at 2:00 PM

Google “Demi Lovato cocaine”… Maybe she did her research while she was also high enough to be on another planet?

19. spookyparadigm
    June 11, 2014 at 5:32 PM

Real scientists are documenting the massive damage being done to the world’s fisheries, and the Discovery Channel is teaching children about junk science mermaids. Wonderful.

• skeptictmac57
      June 11, 2014 at 8:56 PM

That is so right on target! My feeling exactly.They are wasting our young people’s brain power by filling their minds with nonsense. The really sad part is that it is their future that is being endangered the most.I will probably be just fine,but ironically,I seem to be more worried about their future than they are. :(

• Bill T.
      June 12, 2014 at 9:57 AM

Real science costs money and is hard. Making stuff up is mostly free and relatively easy (making it up is easy, writing it down is a bit of work).

20. ApexDisorder
    June 12, 2014 at 1:37 PM

WOW! Just, WOW!

21. July 14, 2014 at 11:42 AM

When it comes to belief systems, there are just so many, actually at least on individual one per human being (and maybe another one for their dog. Some believe eating fatty acids could make you fat. However, all the fat in the body is synthesized from carbohydrates, fat is burnt. We have hundreds of religions many of which don’t agree on central tenets. Galileo, lauded for being an empirical scientist, saw canals on Mars. When he said so, others saw (and drew pictures of them) too. Well, Columbus then may have seen Mermaids. How would we know (for sure) he hadn’t?