Gaggles of ghost photos make us gag (UPDATE: Naughty!)

The media has picked up on ghost photo stories that hardly deserve any attention. So, all I’ll say about them is that photos such as these are terrible evidence. Pretty much worthless. But they served a purpose, to get attention for the takers. As a side effect, they tend to reinforce belief in ghost by existing believers and cause the less easily impressed, like Doubtful News readers, to facepalm and roll eyes and wonder why after a hundred years, no one can get good ghost evidence, since they happen to be all over the place, it seems.

How do we know this isn’t a spot on the lens?

‘Ghost’ Of Scottish Soldier Photographed At French World War I Grave (PICTURE).

They have read a whole bunch of interpretation into this pic when it’s just a blob.

Photo credit: John Phillips/Rex Features

Photo credit: John Phillips/Rex Features

How do we know this isn’t a complete hoax?

Alcatraz Ghost Caught On Camera, Couple Claims.

n-GHOST-largeThere’s about a 50/50 split on the “reality” of this one based on the gratuitous poll on site. The officials who run Alcatraz say there aren’t ghosts on the island. I believe them because if they thought there were, it would totally boost tourism.

We can’t say what’s in either of these picts since neither has come with any authentication or attempts to investigate or reproduce them. So… worthless.

The reality of ghosts will never be decided by one bit of evidence (good or really poor, like these). There needs to be a body of evidence that points to something. We can’t even figure out a definition for ghosts that’s agreed upon let alone conclude they exist or that such images capture them. Building questionable claims upon questionable claims is no way for the media to operate. I’d love to stop having to address this very doubtful type of news.

More ghost photo stories

UPDATE (26-June-2014) HUGE props to SkepticsBoot for putting the kibboshes on this cemetery ghost story! You rock!

The Skeptic’s Boot.: He’s Not a Ghost Witness… He’s a Very Naughty Boy!.

10 comments for “Gaggles of ghost photos make us gag (UPDATE: Naughty!)

1. Bill T.
    June 24, 2014 at 3:55 PM

Do all Scottish ghosts come with no head, no legs and two left arms?

• busterggi
      June 24, 2014 at 7:17 PM

Its what’s under the kilt that counts.

• Chris Howard
        June 25, 2014 at 8:08 AM

Yes, but how do we know? I’m not seeing any ethereal “member”, down there.

Nor do I want to.

• Bill T.
        June 25, 2014 at 9:48 AM

The story I get is that if you’re wearing underware it’s a skirt.

2. Kurt
    June 24, 2014 at 4:53 PM

I still contend that any picture of a ghost shouldn’t include any clothing or other materials from the living world. I mean, really, the man-made objects like clothing or glasses shouldn’t be ‘crossing over’, should they? I wasn’t aware those materials in of themselves have any ghostly essence.
    The most ridiculous example was at an allegedly haunted hotel (the name escapes me at the moment), where they had a picture of the ghost, a woman, and in the ‘ghost’ picture she was wearing the exact dress that was also on display next to the picture. What? How is that possible? Oh, wait…none of it is possible in the first place. Almost forgot.

3. Lee
    June 24, 2014 at 5:50 PM

The Alcatraz ghost is really a very blurred and incomprehensible frame of Bruce Lee from the movie ‘Enter the Dragon”.

• WMcCreery
      June 24, 2014 at 6:07 PM

That’s what I thought too!!

4. June 25, 2014 at 6:35 AM

That ‘Scottish soldier’ looks more like an ostrich’s face to me.

Look at the top right of the photo: that’s the sun shining directly into the lens. Once you’ve got a bright light entering a camera lens you can expect strong internal reflections which enhance any speck of dust, grease smear, scratch. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/45590201/Scan-140625-0001.png

I recommend John Phillips buys a lens hood with whatever syndication fees he’s made from this piss-poor snapshot.

5. rob.lea-jonzz@live.co.uk
    June 26, 2014 at 6:40 PM

The Scottish ghost is well and truly debunked here. Turns out it isn’t just a case of pariedolia. http://skepticsboot.blogspot.co.uk/2014/06/hes-not-ghost-witness-he-very-naughty.html