Crop circles: Art or vandalism?

Well, we know it’s not aliens or anything else paranormal that create pictograms in cereal crops. Some say it’s art. Some say it’s a pain in the rear. I think it’s cool but it’s not my field. A controversy has erupted due to crop circles in usable fields. Is it vandalism?

Not if they get permission.

A Massive Crop Circle Appeared Overnight In Italy.

An intricate crop circle [...] materialized last night in Poirino, Italy.

Created by crop circle artists Francesco Grassi and colleagues, the piece is called the “LENR (Low Energy Nuclear Reactions) Clock.”

Paolo Attivissimo, who claims to be one of the circlemakers noted in the comments:

The farmer gave consent and was compensated.

We did not need work lights or megaphones. We worked at night, from 10:30 pm to 4 am, and in darkness, using the light from the nearby roads and the occasional low-power handheld torch.

Fewer than 10 people in total made this formation.

Also, no aliens were harmed in the making of this work.

crop circle Italy

But a farmer in Besford, U.K, is not so pleased with his two secret circular events. He does not like the reporters and gawkers coming to see it. He also claimed damage.

“I was angry when I saw it because it’s my milling wheat crop that has been ruined, costing me around £1,000,” he said.

“We have put signs up in the field asking people not to go and sit in it, but people just ignore them.

So, it is trespassing and destruction if a crop circle is made without permission. Obviously, when people thought it was aliens causing it, the circles makes were not going to ask for permission. All but the delusional these days know that crop circles are made by individuals in a surprising short time period, often totally unnoticed. Don’t trespass. Don’t trample. Just because it’s neat and weird does not give you extended rights on others properties.

18 comments for “Crop circles: Art or vandalism?

1. kompani101
    June 25, 2014 at 12:37 PM

Art for us and costly vandalism for the farmer.

• Chris Howard
      June 25, 2014 at 1:05 PM

Exactly.

They’re not mutually exclusive.

2. June 25, 2014 at 1:04 PM

In Canada it’s illegal to enter a cultivated field without permission. In that case it’s an arrest, not a ticket.

• June 25, 2014 at 2:52 PM

That would be in Ontario – Trespass is in provincial codes, not the Criminal Code of Canada, so each province has its own laws. Where I’ve seen arrests for trespassing, (students refusing to leave a place they were occupying) it was arrest on the spot and release with a promise to appear in court notice, not an actual trip to jail or the police station. The judge gave them a fine under $100 dollars, and suspended the fine, so basically not that much happened except they had to take time out of the day to go to court.

3. Indrid Cole
    June 25, 2014 at 1:11 PM

What’s the point of working all night making crop circles if you tell everyone you did it? They should be out there working while dressed like aliens and have someone take a grainy video they could post on YouTube.

• eddi
      June 26, 2014 at 4:58 AM

Driving the remaining true believers into frothing spasms is about the only reason to hide the names of the artists. Frankly even when they do organize a show like this the believers yell “liar!” and go right on thinking our space brothers are trying to warn us.

4. Steve
    June 25, 2014 at 4:46 PM

And in any case the best way to see them is from the air. Rent an aircraft or wait till someone else does and view the photos they get.

5. Ralph
    June 25, 2014 at 8:10 PM

Great Pun!! Not my field… :-)

6. Tribeca Mike
    June 26, 2014 at 10:57 AM

A celestial selfie perhaps?

7. June 26, 2014 at 2:33 PM

Hi there, I’m the Paolo Attivissimo quoted in the article. I’m one of the Italian circlemakers (I’m also a long-standing reader of Doubtful News, which is how I found this article). I’d like to clarify a few points from the comments.

In our case, it was not vandalism, as we obtained permission from the farmer, who is now enjoying the influx of visitors who, of course, need a guided tour or an elevator to view the circle, need refreshments etc. Local authorities also were informed that we would be doing this circle and should expect extra traffic. We tried to be as community-friendly as possible and minimize disruption.

As for why we told everyone we did it: because we didn’t want to mislead anyone. We wanted to demonstrate the concept that a small team (fewer than 10 people) could create a fairly elaborate crop circle overnight without being noticed, and that therefore the argument “crop circles must be alien-made because they’re too complicated to be made by humans” is wrong. We also did it for fun and to do something special and memorable together with our friends. Personally, I also wanted first-hand experience of crop circle making for my science articles (I write for the Italian edition of Scientific American).

By the way, I’ve posted photos of the circlemaking process and a video with aerial footage:

If you have any questions, I’ll be happy to answer them or relay them to Francesco Grassi, who designed and coordinated the circlemaking adventure.

• June 26, 2014 at 7:40 PM

This is GREAT. Thanks Paolo!

8. June 26, 2014 at 9:16 PM

The “LENR Clock” name is sure to attract those who have LENR in Google alerts. I of course don’t know anything about them, but from the comments I’ve read on a few LENR articles over the years, I could make some guesses…

9. Frederick
    June 27, 2014 at 1:12 AM

They look awesome, but it is still vandalism, and money lost for a farmer. It is not a excuse. And of course people will want to get in the field to see them, and delusional people will think it is alien.. aah poor Farmer.

10. Paolo Attivissimo
    June 27, 2014 at 1:34 AM

Frederick,

I hesitate to generalize. If the farmer hasn’t agreed to host the circle, then yes, it is vandalism on someone else’s property, although I have seen many farmers earn substantial money from these unexpected circles by charging to visit them or providing corollary services such as a lift, guided tours, etc. I can only vouch for the circle we did: the farmer agreed beforehand and is not losing money.

11. Paolo Attivissimo
    June 27, 2014 at 7:27 AM

Ben,

I asked Francesco Grassi about the name: he says that this formation is closely tied to the Robella 2013 crop circle (which he made), where “experts” said it was showing a LENR (Low Energy Nuclear Reaction). He says that more details will be revealed over the next few days.

And by the way, if anyone needs proof of my identity, just Google me. I work for Swiss National Radio RSI.ch, you’ll find me there. Also, I have unreleased and high-resolution photographs of the circlemaking process.

12. batoo
    June 28, 2014 at 11:32 AM

The author said he was inspired by this crop circle from last year: Crop Circle at Cavallo Grigio, Italy – 30 June 2013

13. Terrence Lee
    July 2, 2014 at 1:48 PM

“I think it’s cool but it’s not my field.” This is the funniest comment I’ve read in a month. Kudos Sharon.