Chemtrail propaganda distributed at meeting of meteorologists

A conspiracy-based group spread propaganda during a meeting of meteorologists. To foment dissent? To get publicity?

Chem-Trail Folks Crash AMS Conference on Broadcast Meteorology – Dan’s Wild Wild Science Journal – AGU Blogosphere.

We came back from lunch for our final session to find that every seat in the room had a DVD, and the same glossy brochure claiming that the government is giving you all kinds of disease from their secret spraying program. For those that may not have heard yet, these people believe that those white lines you see in the sky behind high-flying jet aircraft are actually mind/weather control chemicals. They also believe a research program in Alaska that studies the Earth’s electromagnetic field (called HAARP) is also involved.

But the joke was on them as a few hours earlier, Dan Satterfield, an on-air weather forecaster, had presented a talk about conspiracy theories. It sounds like he’s referring to all the weather related conspiracies like HAARP and the Global Warming Hoax claim. He notes that many media personalities hear from these people a lot and he wishes he knew why such beliefs were so popular. But also admits, they can’t be reasoned with.

You can be reasoned out of a conclusion you were not reasoned into. And chemtrails is certainly absurd and unreasonable. Where are all these diseases? No one is dropping dead. Look at congress, they aren’t mind controlled, they can’t agree on anything! The plants and animals are all fine. We live longer than ever. Oh, see, I’m trying to be reasonable… the ridiculous belief isn’t going away.

Contrail Science

13 comments for “Chemtrail propaganda distributed at meeting of meteorologists

1. vikubz@cfu.net
    June 27, 2014 at 10:45 AM

Reason someone out of a conclusion they were not reasoned into. Sums it up I think.

2. Angela
    June 27, 2014 at 10:48 AM

I have noticed with many conspiracy groups, the mentality becomes a group-think. Ironic, considering that is what many accuse the government of trying to do to us. So yes, reason and logic will not factor in. They do however include their fake counterparts…pseudoscience and cognitive dissonance.

• Jaco Wium
      June 27, 2014 at 12:38 PM

Exactly Angela. On the same level, I find it hilariously ironic how conspiracists always instruct me to question everything, to not blindly believe what I’m told (by mainstream media or the evil governments), and to always go out and find the truth for myself – and yet they always fail to question their own theories!

(As a natural skeptic, I don’t need that advice anyway. I question everything, including the arguments from my own corner. Just wonder why conspiracy fans can’t do that too.)

3. June 27, 2014 at 11:40 AM

http://bit.ly/1nMftxK see? It must be a NWO cabal conspiracy.

Or maybe not. http://bit.ly/1nMfGRp

4. June 27, 2014 at 12:38 PM

The chemtrails concept scored surprisingly low on a questionaire I gave to students recently (N=18), though one could say that any score above zero is distressing.

What I did was create a list of 25 “beliefs” — without indicating whether they were reasonable or not — and then had students in my community college freshman composition class check the ones they thought “are true or could be true.” They were also supposed to cross out the unfounded beliefs or circle the ones they had no idea about.

“Chemtrails” came in at #15 with 22% (4 students) indicating that “there’s a good possibility it may be true.”

(Leading the pack: “Public water fluoridation is bad” and “Area 51 – secret government work on captured alien spacecraft”, both at 61% belief)

Of course it was only 18 students and I didn’t question the group to see the strength of belief or actual awareness of the issue. But on the few occasions I have asked people, there doesn’t appear to be much depth of thought about it (unlike 9/11 Truthers or ionic foot bath advocates), suggesting that it’s just “something they heard” and may fit into a general world view of malevolent forces at large in the world. That is, they weren’t really reasoned into the belief.

This seems to reinforce the idea “You can['t] be reasoned out of a conclusion you were not reasoned into.”

5. skeptictmac57
    June 27, 2014 at 12:59 PM

Clearly the ‘chemtrail’/mind control thing is a nutty conspiracy,but what I haven’t heard debunked yet,is the conspiracy theory that the government is releasing ever increasing numbers of cute widdle kitties (who’s a sweet kitty? YOU are!) into our neighborhoods to spread the mind controlling Toxoplasmosis parasitic disease.
    Explain THAT one all you skeptics! That’s right I knew you couldn’t .
    Believe in Dog and ye shall be set free!

6. Bonnie
    June 27, 2014 at 1:09 PM

Jonathan Swift: “It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never
    reasoned into.”

And also Julius Caesar: “Men gladly believe what they wish to.”

Once I realized how true these quotes are (I’m a quote junkie), I stopped wrangling with people who believe unreasonable things. Tho that includes me, too. We are none of us free from blind spots and unreasonable beliefs. ;)

• John
      June 28, 2014 at 8:52 AM

Do you have a source for the Swift quotation? Quote junkie here, too, but there are so many spurious quotes out there, I like to be sure. Thanks.

• Jennifer Lamoreux
        June 29, 2014 at 9:06 PM

Letter to a Young Clergyman (January 9, 1720), on proving Christianity to unbelievers. I believe this is the source of the quote, but I didn’t confirm. Gives you a place to start.

7. June 27, 2014 at 1:15 PM

Widely-read Meteorologist Dennis Mersereau over at the Vane blog has been doing some good work on this issue:

• Bill T.
      June 27, 2014 at 6:49 PM

When I turn a light off, I jump up and down 3 times, turn in place 3 times, say “OFF! OFF! OFF!” and flip the little switch on the wall. Works every time. I was struck with the similarity to spraying vinegar in the air and waiting for a while.

8. ZombyWoof
    June 29, 2014 at 4:39 PM

I hope they just tossed it right in the trash where it belongs.