Disappointing, short-sighted, rather stupid, and not consumer friendly. That’s how I would characterize this latest news that discredited, controversial, and quackerific Dr. Stan Burzynski is allowed to pursue trials. The only positive in this is HE WILL ACTUALLY DO TRIALS which is better than he’s done before. We’ll see.
The FDA has lifted restrictions on a clinical trial run by Stanislaw Burzynski, who was the subject of a USA TODAY investigation last year. Burzynski, 70, has wrangled with state and federal medical authorities for nearly 40 years over his claims that he has discovered natural substances that can fight certain cancers.
Stop right there. 40 years. 40 years and he hasn’t come up with anything definitive, it’s all questionable (and expensive) and of poor quality. That should tell you something, FDA and prospective patients. He’s shown nothing comparable to conventional trials to suggest his treatment actually works.
In a statement issued Friday, the Burzynski Research Institute says it is planning to launch a large, definitive trial — called a Phase 3 study — of patients with newly diagnosed brainstem tumors.
The FDA’s decision “marks an important step in the development of antineoplastons for the treatment of various forms of brain tumors,” the institute said in its statement.
Put up or shut up, Stan. So far, you’ve been full of it.
When hundreds of respected medical professionals and knowledgeable citizens give you plenty of evidence to support that someone is a “snake oil salesman” and the “worst kind of predator”, you ought to listen. This decision is disappointing. FDA fail.
More on Burzynski: