Brainwashed mom kidnaps child to avoid vaccination

A child remains missing presumably with her anti-vaccination mother who decided to break the law and risk permanent loss of custody instead of getting her vaccinated.

Anti-vaccination kidnapping: Police looking for Megan Everett and daughter – Sun Sentinel.

A Sunrise woman who disappeared with her 2-year-old daughter last month to avoid having the child vaccinated now faces a federal criminal charge, according to court records.

Megan Elizabeth Everett, 22, was last seen on May 6, when Robert Baumann dropped off their daughter, Lilly, in compliance with a shared custody agreement. Lilly was supposed to be returned to Baumann a week later, but Everett never showed up.

According to court records, Everett left a note for Baumann vaguely explaining her actions.

“You are a great dad,” she wrote, with the word “great” underlined. “If I let them take her and vaccinate her and brainwash her, I wouldn’t be doing what’s right. I cannot let a judge tell me how my daughter should be raised. We will miss you. But I had to leave.”

Trouble seemed to start when another man entered the picture who was pro-gun, and an advocate of home-schooling and other alternative ideas that Lilly’s father did not agree with. Everett also was sold on anti-vax ideas. Contrary to Ms. Everett’s statement, a judge CAN and will rule that the child’s best interests are not being met in this case.

She has chosen to live her life as a fugitive and to withhold the child from the rest of her family, proper schooling, and proper medical care. Who’s brainwashed?

Lilly, 2, shown with live ammunition under the care of her mother. The child remains missing.

From my perspective, courts have rule for the parent who desires proper health care for the child in such cases. As they should.

Oregon court rules anti-vaccination views are no excuse.

Australian court rules against anti-vax Mom in favor of pro-health Dad.

Vaccination fight between parents ends up in U.K. court.

Judge rules in favor of vaccination for 8 year old girl.

Comments are tightly moderated. Please follow the Comment Policy.

30 comments for “Brainwashed mom kidnaps child to avoid vaccination

1. Angela
    June 16, 2014 at 2:29 PM

This fills me with such fury. I just read a great article yesterday on the Voices for Vaccines website by a mother who was formerly in the anti-vaccination camp. She has since recanted and shared her story in the hopes that others might question this garbage that calls itself ‘evidence’ for the anti-vaccination stance. It made me feel really good to read that. Then I read this and realize the permanent damage that has been done because of the propaganda and the misinformation. I hope the little girl is found and returned to her father. She has a right to be raised by someone who has HER best interests at heart rather than a misguided agenda.

2. Justin
    June 16, 2014 at 3:09 PM

People like this aren’t worth air it takes to keep them alive. Their numbers grow and future as a species gets a little bit more dim.

3. drwfishesman
    June 16, 2014 at 3:25 PM

This is a weird combination of anti-vaccination (which I usually attribute to the fringe left) with gun-totin’, anti government types (which I usually associate with the fringe right wing). But either way it’s 100% Florida.

• eddi
      June 17, 2014 at 5:06 AM

Anti-vax is one of the few issues that make the extremes join hands for a round of “Kumbaya”.

4. Chris
    June 16, 2014 at 4:13 PM

So vaccines are bad, but it is okay for the kid to chew on lead bullets. Le sigh.

• Jim Speiser
      June 24, 2014 at 3:17 PM

Le Fist-Bump.

5. Evan Dorkin
    June 16, 2014 at 4:19 PM

I agree with your take on this, as any sane person would (I hope), but I’m disappointed to see you lump home schooling in with gun nuttiness and anti-vax views as if it was as equally and definitively destructive (and nutty). Not all home schooling is done by religious or paranoid parents who want to blinker their kids. My wife and I are not religious, anti-vax or anti-science (quite the opposite), we’re not into guns (ditto), homeopathy, the supernatural, conspiracies, cults or whatever. “Proper” schooling isn’t always good or effective schooling, especially where we live. There are many non-religious home schooling households like ours, their local schools are lousy and they can’t afford private school. We’re not dummies, paranoids or philistines and we’re not brainwashing our kids.

I know the popular perception of homeschooling is that it’s religious-based and sheltering and turns out little unsocial weirdos, but popular perceptions aren’t necessarily truth or the whole story. Home schooling is not for everyone or every situation but it isn’t left-field craziness. Unless we’re all actually crazy and wrong about this, of course.

• June 16, 2014 at 9:19 PM

Sorry Evan, I didn’t give details on that. You should read the linked article for the emphasis behind home schooling. It’s prejudiced (according to the article.)

• Amy
      June 18, 2014 at 1:02 AM

Thank you.

6. James G
    June 16, 2014 at 7:22 PM

I read a study a few months ago that found that if you are willing to believe one conspiracy theory, you are prone to believing others even when their tenets are contradictory. I would guess that this is because the problem is cognitive, particularly in terms of reasoning skills and how you arrive at the conclusion that something is true.

The mother did what she thought was right to protect her child. Based on what I’ve read here, she wasn’t acting maliciously. Sure, her actions were unfortunate and potentially quite harmful, but she lacks the capacity to see that. I want to emphasize that I’m not saying she isn’t smart enough, just that she lacks the skills and knowledge needed to evaluate her options using reason and fact. She has made a very unreasonable decision based on myth and hyperbole.

It all comes down again to how responsibility is shared for these events. Certainly the mother bears the primary burden. But I believe some of it is shared by the people creating and disseminating this garbage, the celebrities that endorse it, and the state that is failing to educate its citizens to the point where they can think critically.

The courts will place all of the responsibility on the mother, but that’s like blaming a drug addict while letting the dealers and cartels get off scott free.

• IApsMiami
      June 17, 2014 at 10:46 AM

“The mother did what she thought was right”. Yates killed her children because she thought it would save their souls, and many other people have harmed their children because they thought what they were doing “was right”. This article oddly left out some very important “why” details. Why did she want to home school her daughter and what did she mean by “brain washed”? Well, because she stated that she wanted her daughter to have a “Confederate” education because she did not want her daughter being “brain washed” into thinking that freeing blacks was the right thing to do. She took the child from a loving father. In fact, even her own family (mom, sisters, etc) told the judge that the child should be with the father and not her. In other words, this lady is clearly not of right mind to have this child’s best interest in mind. In fact, now that she ran with the child I would be more concerned for the child’s safety than ever.

7. Indrid Cole
    June 16, 2014 at 7:54 PM

It should be relatively easy to find the kid, just put out a BOLO for any toddlers that show up at the ER after swallowing a bullet.

8. Brian
    June 17, 2014 at 7:42 AM

As a parent currently living in Fl- with some of the absolute mind boggling, brain hurting things that we have experienced (and a COP telling me I should get a gun next time someone tries to run me down, for chrissakes), a gun is almost as necessary as pants down here. Well… Pants aren’t necessary down here. Seeing how many exposure stories there are.

We have run up against enough bad people that I have both considered and thought better of getting one. There is a very real danger of being robbed, our kid taken out of our hands, or something similar (we had 2 incidents in 2 days- Sunday and Monday), or being purposely run over (I lost count some time back), that I not only fear for our lives, but the stress is having a physical toll on me. Fortunately, we are leaving this hellhole in about a month.

There is no enforcement in this state by any law enforcement. None. You have to actually almost want to get caught- and people know it down here. It is a lawless, demoralized wasteland down here. Decent people are leaving in droves…

• Bill T.
      June 17, 2014 at 11:08 AM

Side note to story but pertinent to your comment: NPR aired a story last week regarding pedestrian safety. Apparently florida scored the lowest, which cetainly is in line with your anecdotes (anecdotes aren’t NECESSARILY wrong, they’re just not objective evidence). Apparently that report was a bit stale, it was 2011, http://www.smartgrowthamerica.org/documents/dangerous-by-design-2014/dangerous-by-design-2014.pdf documents Florida’s efforts to address the issues. The NPR story noted, however, that it’s more than street design it’s a cultural problem.

9. ApexDisorder
    June 17, 2014 at 9:25 AM

The criminal act was kidnapping for reasons of non compliance to vaccination.
    Why bring up the weapons?
    Sensationalist propaganda.
    I have been armed with a knife since I was 5.
    I have been schooled and taught how to use firearms just as young.
    It baffles me how people in this country demonize firearms, yet ignore that they made this country free.
    Automobile accidents kill more people every day. Lets put a ban on cars.

• Haldurson
      June 17, 2014 at 10:27 AM

Gun ownership is a separate (though not completely separate) issue from Gun safety. When I lived in NJ, my upstairs neighbor lost his 4-year old granddaughter to a six and 8 year old who got a hold of their father’s gun and shot her. Kids and guns are just a bad combination. You might have been a very responsible kid. I’m not going to argue that gun ownership isn’t a right. I’m not going to argue that a gun in responsible, trained hands, rational hands is the worst thing in the world. What I AM going to say is that generalizing that everyone is as responsible, rational and careful as you might be is a VERY dangerous thing, and is something that we are constantly reminded of time and time again on the news, and sometimes (in my case) from family and neighborhood tragedies. The photo certainly is incendiary (I do agree with you there). But blame the mother who took the photo, and lets the toddler play around bullets, not the person who posted it.

And no one here has advocated taking away your gun — that was YOUR inference, not mine.

• Chris
      June 17, 2014 at 11:14 AM

“Why bring up the weapons?
      Sensationalist propaganda.”

You will note that the news reporters did not take that picture. It was taken by the little girl’s mother, who must have thought it was cute to see her little girl chewing on lead and gun powder. Something that anyone who has been around guns with responsible parents (like my father, who drilled us in gun safety) would find appalling.

Yet this woman took the picture and released in the public. What does that say about that little girl’s mother? Is it good or is it bad?

What do you think of parents who leave loaded weapons and ammunition lying around the house with small children?

10. PagaRoobits
    June 17, 2014 at 10:09 PM

Sigh. The chief health danger this child is being exposed to is her lack of vaccines. But there’s no sensational photo of that. For the record, “Live Ammunition” does not spontaneously erupt into a Hideous Death Cloud. Even “Live Ammunition” will not explode in your face if you chew on it ( no, not even rimfire cartridges). In any case, that appears very much to be a standard pacifier stuck in her mouth. There is NO firearm evident in the picture. This is the kind of pic that was sure to get a lot of people’s undergarments in a bunch, but the ammo is NOT the problem.

• June 18, 2014 at 7:56 AM

Maybe so but I think it’s representative of a problem. It’s symbolic. Vaccines are designed to save lives, guns are designed to shoot things. The “shot” analogy is ironic.

• ApexDisorder
        June 18, 2014 at 3:30 PM

Irony and symbolism not facts.
        I thought we were concerned about truth here, not subjective inferences of ones own reality.

• Chris
          June 18, 2014 at 5:02 PM

Ignoring the choke hazard, lead poisoning is a fact. Kids get it by chewing on lead in things like old lead toy soldiers, paint chips, and from drinking from dishes with a lead glazes. So do try to tell me why it is okay dokay for a kid to chew on lead ammo (and yes, two year olds do put things in their mouths).

And do you really think those folks would be environmentally conscious enough to buy lead-free ammo?

Please prove to us your knowledge of child development and safety are better than this person who thinks toddler know better to wander off sidewalks.

• ApexDisorder
            June 18, 2014 at 6:38 PM

The ammo seen in the pics are full metal jacket, and shotgun shells.
            To appropriate the lead inside would take considerable effort.
            Tools would be needed to gain entry.
            A knowledge of how to manipulate the tools would also be required.
            Choking hazard yes.
            Parent who seems to disregard a childs safty yes.
            People who don’t understand ballistics, yes.
            Knowledge is power. Blind rhetoric is the enemy.

• Chris
              June 18, 2014 at 8:29 PM

“The ammo seen in the pics are full metal jacket, and shotgun shells.”

How do you know all of them are? The ones in the box at the bottom of the picture have the dull look of lead, and you have no idea how old the shotgun shells are considering they are just dumped in a box, they may still be made of paper.

I am pretty sure I am not the one spouting the blind rhetoric.

• ApexDisorder
                June 18, 2014 at 10:10 PM

I respect the website and do not want to go off topic.
                A loaded round is a balance of four components:A bulletThe case (usually brass, but it’s called brass, even if it’s made of aluminum or steel, or even nickel-plated brass)Powder (there are many types, with a variety of burn rates and ‘cleanness’)Primer (the cap in the bottom, which ignites the powder)
                The jacket or case cannot be made of lead.

• Chris
                June 18, 2014 at 11:26 PM

What about the actual bullet? Are you positive each one is covered? As a teenager my brother used to pry the lead bullet from the .22 casing to replace it with wax. It was his way of making a blank. He, my dad and my cousin had the equipment for casting their own lead bullets (it has an advantage of a low melting point, though be very careful with the fumes). Why would a serious gun enthusiast with that much ammo not be doing the same?

And even if the lead is covered with a jacket, is it designed to be bitten? Brass and aluminum are very soft metals, and teeth can penetrate (small area, brittle tough enamel and chewing strength jaws, the kid could probably dent it, once upon a time I was a structural engineer). Oh, and aluminum is also supposed to be evil in vaccines, though in reality the copper in the brass may actually cause issues if too much is consumed (landscape contractor told me they replaced the arsenic in outdoor treated wood with a copper compound, so he still likes to line the boxes for edibles).

And really, how do you know the shotgun shells are not old enough to have a paper cylinder? They look just like the shotgun shells I have seen over a that past forty plus years. I just recently learned that they switched to plastic cylinders, I actually started out assuming they were cardboard (and yes, I am old enough that the 1980s are “recent”).

And who thinks it is a good idea for a two year old to play with ammo? Because the point of that picture is this paranoid mother is afraid of vaccines, but thinks it is cute to surround the child with projectiles full of nastier chemicals. So why is the fact the photo the mother posted in public being discussed so upsetting to you? Are you trying to defend her actions or do you really think that ammo is safe enough for toddlers to chew on?

• Chris
      June 18, 2014 at 12:07 PM

“Even “Live Ammunition” will not explode in your face if you chew on it ( no, not even rimfire cartridges). ”

No one said that. Somehow I think this family would not bother buying lead free ammunition. Lead is dangerous when consumed by small children. I thought it was ironic that someone who would skip vaccines perhaps because of “heavy metals” would let her child chew on lead.

Plus there is a possibility of chewing through the paper or thin plastic of the shotgun shells for both a dose of lead and gunpowder.

And even if they were environmentally conscious enough to buy lead free ammo, the bullets are still a choking hazard.

11. PagaRoobits
    June 19, 2014 at 12:25 AM

No. There is no “possibility of chewing through the paper or thin plastic of the shotgun shells”. Modern shotgun shells are made of a very tough plastic. I do not believe a toddler (with baby teeth no less) would be able to chew through a plastic hull in any reasonable amount of unsupervised time. Look, ammunition isn’t Plutonium. It doesn’t radiate death. If you leave your kid unsupervised long enough to hurt themselves with bulk ammo then The Problem Isn’t The Ammo. A stupid pic that upsets people that don’t like guns doesn’t make you a bad parent. Not getting your kid vaccinated makes you a bad parent. But a pic of the kid’s mom just looking clueless isn’t as sensational.

• Chris
      June 19, 2014 at 8:23 PM

“If you leave your kid unsupervised long enough to hurt themselves with bulk ammo then The Problem Isn’t The Ammo.”

When normal people see that picture they see obvious neglect. It shows obvious disregard of the safety of the child to not secure weapons. Also we know that this is not what most gun owners do, because responsible gun owners would also consider this neglect.

“But a pic of the kid’s mom just looking clueless isn’t as sensational.”

Remember the mother posted the picture. So stop clutching your pearls at the reaction it has garnered. If she was a responsible parent she would have not placed her child in the midst of several ammo boxes, nor would she have posted the picture on teh internets.

• Chris
        June 22, 2014 at 2:41 AM

So what prevents a parent who lets a child play around boxes from ammo not prevent them access to actual firearms? What makes them more special than a police officer whose three year old used an unsecured weapon to kill an older sibling: http://seattletimes.com/html/localnews/2019648989_copshooting10m.html

Do tell us how responsible gun owners are okay dokay with toddler playing with ammunition that consist of lead bullets covered with very thin weak metal and attached to containers of gunpowder, but are afraid of an ingredient not actually in a vaccine is logical? Or are you clutching your pearls too much to even think about logic?

12. James G
    June 19, 2014 at 3:10 AM

My point there was that most parents who are against vaccinations are caring people who think they are doing the best for their kids. We shouldn’t demonize them for ignorance. That doesn’t help anyone. They certainly aren’t insane like the woman you mention killing her kids.

People who believe in conspiracies aren’t insane. They are misinformed and not very good at critical thought. As caring people we should be trying to foster their education as to why, in this example, vaccines are beneficial, and how the whole risk versus benefit thing works. Education and communication will win the day.

I was trying to point out that people like Andrew Wakefield bear some responsibility for firing up the anti-vaccine conspiracy and keeping it alive. How many children has his widely condemned MMR study killed? Even more appalling is the evidence that he may have published the study for financial gain. Both he and the people who endorse and disseminate similar stances should bear the consequences of the harm they have wrought.

As for the home schooling and bigotry, I concede I missed that part of the article. I’m not sure why I didn’t see the second half. I suppose we can condemn parents for being hateful dinosaurs poorly adapted to a life in a modern society. Personally, I think that just makes the story that much sadder. I doubt she was born a bigot. Perhaps she grew up among bigots. Perhaps the conspiracies to which she subscribes have a racial component to them. In either case, a tiresome cycle of hatred perpetuates itself.