Bigfoot rant: How stupid do you think we are? (Commentary)

It’s silly season and it was a slow news weekend. Therefore, you get crap like this. A guy says he saw bigfoot when he was 15 and saw it in the same place again. He says he once shot Bigfoot. This isn’t even doubtful news, it’s a tall tale.

I do like the way this piece is framed:

Bigfoot? Virginia man says new pics show mythical beast  – NY Daily News.

Another bozo says he’s spotted Bigfoot.

The latest pics come from Virginia resident Randy O’Neal, who said he photographed the creature lurking on the shore of the Intercoastal Waterway in Virginia, Fox D.C. reported.

The 40-year-old said he was fishing with his father and a buddy Saturday when the giant biped beast caught their eye.

He uploaded two fuzzy cellphone snaps to YouTube, along with a tale about a similar supernatural encounter in the same spot 25 years ago.

I am a very tolerant person when it comes to people’s beliefs. In fact, you can believe whatever you want as long as it doesn’t affect me. However, when you put this unsupported, fantasy-based nonsense into the media for your own personal gratification, which serves no purpose except to get you attention and make other people’s work look stupid, then it’s disgraceful and I lose my patience. I have no tolerance for Bigfoot bullshit anymore – and I fail to find anything that isn’t total BS these days by Bigfoot believers, some of whom are admitted, repeated frauds.

You can watch this latest presentation here. That is, unless you have more important things to do like clean the liter box, pull your fingernails out, or spray hot sauce in your eyes. <Fume!> I’m not going to embed it.

Let’s just run down a few things we are supposed to swallow here in order to buy this story…

• There is an ape that has eluded capture for 100 years in the U.S.
  • It’s living in rural areas outside of the nation’s capital on a highly populated coastline.
  • This guy saw it while fishing.
  • He saw one and shot at it decades ago. In the same place.
  • The creature leaves no definitive evidence behind.

Yeah… I see a burned stump (or a dozen other possibilities). We’re supposed to believe this is Bigfoot? Absurd.

Don’t be this gullible, no matter how much you want to believe.

I love the mythology and lore of Bigfoot, I really do. I ALWAYS will – it’s an iconic part of American culture and a beloved “monster”. But I am so very tired of the bottom of the barrel content about it. How insulting is this idiotic “evidence”? The Bigfoot blogs, internet radio shows, Finding Bigfoot, the endless You Tube vids, hoaxes, and blobsquatches. The field is pathological.

No picture or video or footprint will EVER be conclusive evidence. So, unless you have a collection of solid evidence, DNA, or a body part reviewed by an actual scientist who knows what they are doing, shut up already.
not bigfoot

24 comments for “Bigfoot rant: How stupid do you think we are? (Commentary)

1. Chris Howard
    June 30, 2014 at 2:46 PM

It looks like Bigfoot is relieving himself in the lake!

Doesn’t he know that he can be charged as a sex offender for public urination?!

Seriously though… wait. There’s no seriously here. Nevermind.

• Bill D'Arcy
      July 1, 2014 at 12:57 AM

Hey Chris,

A shot-glass of that lake-water might have contained the DNA that Sharon requires… What a missed opportunity!

Cheers,
      Bill

2. Chris Howard
    June 30, 2014 at 2:49 PM

Sharon,

Deep cleansing breathes. Inhale, slowly. Hold it, and out through the mouth. In through the nose. Hold it, and out through the mouth.

Repeat, and then bourbon.

3. Lowell
    June 30, 2014 at 4:02 PM

Yeah, that’s a stump. The worst part of the story for me, is that his own father advises him to shoot into the dark. To shoot into the darkness at something they can’t see, to shoot at something they can’t identify. My father taught me to never, ever shoot at anything unless you could identify the target and had a clear shot. So, in other words, a bunch of yahoos blasting away in the woods with a shotgun in the middle of the night doesn’t translate to credibility.

• Blargh
      July 1, 2014 at 7:27 AM

I totally agree. To me, that part of the story is “I am confessing to reckless endangerment!”. That guy should not have access to a firearm.

4. Matthew Baker
    June 30, 2014 at 4:12 PM

Its amazing how many times tree stumps or the root end of uprooted trees become Bigfoot. Its also amazing that these supposedly active large mammals don’t seem to move.

5. James G
    June 30, 2014 at 4:24 PM

They all follow the same tradition of fuzzy and/or fake photos – Bigfoot, UFOs, ghosts – and the people who want to believe are wowed by evidence that isn’t evidence at all. We can only continue to share the information that refutes these cock-eyed fantasies to prevent the contagion from spreading.

At least the paper didn’t mince words. Bozos :D

6. June 30, 2014 at 5:29 PM

Does someone need a hug?

It’s the new cryptozoological order, Sharon. They’ll, of course, need to change the word to cryptozoo(not)logical.

7. busterggi
    June 30, 2014 at 6:04 PM

Holy crap! There is no reflection of Bigfoot in the water – Bigfoot is a vampire!

8. David H
    June 30, 2014 at 6:19 PM

How could they call it a Bigfoot? You can’t see its feet. For all we know, it could be wearing size 6 Mary Janes. And that is a whole different critter: the Sissysquatch.

9. Bonnie
    June 30, 2014 at 7:21 PM

Laura Ingalls Wilder’s father once thought he saw a bear in his path on the way home. He decided to wait it out and come morning, that bear turned out to be a stump.

Pa was able to laugh at himself and his mistake. The people who think they see an ape-like critter take themselves much too seriously.

• Bill T.
      July 1, 2014 at 9:48 AM

When I woke up this morning there was an ape-like critter in bed next to me. I didn’t get all high-order, though.

• busterggi
        July 1, 2014 at 12:34 PM

Oddly enough my cat said the same thing you said.

• Bill T.
          July 7, 2014 at 11:27 AM

LMDO

10. Mark Henry
    July 1, 2014 at 10:58 AM

One time, when I was about 10, my friends and I were goofing around at a remote part of a park near our neighborhood. While walking along a creek bed, we saw what appeared to be a raccoon sitting by the edge of the water. All of us knew that a raccoon that wanders around during the day are often rabid, so we stayed quiet and held our ground a short distance away to be sure. Eventually, someone threw a rock towards it. Nothing. Again. Nothing.

Finally I walked over to it. The tire that was half-buried in sand and rocks was of no immediate threat.

I did not alert the media.

• busterggi
      July 1, 2014 at 2:18 PM

Godfrey Daniels! You may have located Amelia Earhart’s plane.

11. Lee
    July 1, 2014 at 11:26 AM

Sharon, I have 2 miniature Louisville sluggers you can borrow and dual wield as said craptozoologist wannabe opens his door to his abode to see who is pounding vehemently upon it! It does get quite difficult to remain calm when one is being swept away in a Shitami of insanity, inanity, stupidity, criminality and general shenanigans! Hey, don’t we get a free kick to this guys groin claiming “Shenanigans”? Go beat up some gnomes, that always makes me feel better!

12. Don Booch
    July 1, 2014 at 10:17 PM

I had to roll my eyes at this footer’s response to your rant.

“Sharon Hill is entitled to her opinion but that doesn’t make her right. The scientific or “learned” community stated that rocks did not fall from the sky. Today we call those rocks meteorites.”

Don’t worry, though, other footers jumped all over this.

• July 2, 2014 at 7:20 AM

Where was this, Don? I no longer visit Bigfoot forums or blogs.

• Don Booch
        July 2, 2014 at 3:46 PM

I think it was Coalition.

There’s a growing group of us who are getting called “bullies” because we tell it like it is. Why pat someone on the back with an attaboy when they come up with BS?

I had an up close encounter with one of these creatures. I know they exist. That’s all I know about them, really. However, I really hate the fact that there is very little science in bigfootery. As much as i want the creature to be discovered, I will not tolerate the nonsense that has passed for “research” the last several years, and I, as well as many others, have been working to change it.

• July 2, 2014 at 7:51 PM

Funny that in the “coalition” group I get both supporters and detractors. Some coalition. But I really like Steven and thanked him for his support. I left that group because complete bozos were allowed to post.

• Bill T.
            July 7, 2014 at 11:31 AM

… yet I’m allowed to post here. I assume I’m still on probation? I’m trying reeeealllly hard to minimize the vituperative rhetoric.

13. Mauro Toffanin
    July 5, 2014 at 8:15 AM

BigFoot’s existence is not back up by any hard evidence, but no reasonable, rational person can deny that there is abundant hard proof of BigFoot fakers; no one can any longer turn away from this proven reality: BigFoot hoaxes are real :)

14. Dan C
    August 9, 2014 at 10:52 AM

I’m more outraged at the idiotic behaviour (shooting into the dark) and spelling/grammar errors in the you tube video than the hoax itself. I would think that it should be a priority to establish yourself as an intelligent, coherent person when trying to convince someone of a fantastical occurrence.