Another anti-evolution museum opens tomorrow in the U.S.

Really? Because one Creation-based museum losing money is not enough? There must be two insults to science and financial boondoggles? I guess so. Reason does not prevail.

The Northwest “Science” museum opens tomorrow in Idaho.

Creation Museum | Northwest Science Museum.

Their vision is to present a “Natural History” museum from a Biblical point of view. Therefore, they will mimic actual natural history museums but whitewash it with myth. Their goal is religious: To lead people to a better understanding of God by viewing His creation. To show that creation science can explain the evidence we see in the world around us and that it is not just religion.

No. No. No. There ought to be a law against misuse of the word “science” because THEY committed a felony!

The best resource for learning about why creationism is total nonsense is talk.origins. I read everything there back in 1993. Refutations of dogma do not change. That’s how you know they are dogma, not science.

A New Museum Devoted to Creationism Will Open Tomorrow in Idaho.

This is discouraging. Why can’t you keep your religion out of my science. I promise to keep my science out of your religion! This is an insult to thinking people.

Tip: Dr. Brian Regal

31 comments for “Another anti-evolution museum opens tomorrow in the U.S.

1. Matthew Baker
    June 13, 2014 at 10:35 PM

The truly sad thing is there are at least 20 creationist ‘museums’ in the English speaking world.

2. Overkill
    June 13, 2014 at 10:36 PM

Creationists. Putting the muse in museums.

3. June 14, 2014 at 4:15 AM

There is also a creation museum in Santee California, near San Diego. It’s called “The Creation and Earth History Museum.” It was the past home of The Institute for Creation Research (ICR) and its Creation Science Research Center, before the ICR moved to Texas in 2007. It’s rather small when compared with Ham’s place and this new one. But it was where Duane Gish and Henry Morris operated out of. In fact, Ken Ham worked there too. “Scientific Creationism” (an oxymoron if ever there was one) was pretty much born there.

4. kompani101
    June 14, 2014 at 5:27 AM

So sad and rather silly of them.

5. Roger
    June 14, 2014 at 8:25 AM

Their “Vision Center” opens, which looks like a small office. They’re asking people for land, money, etc. Maybe they won’t be able to raise enough money to open the real deal, or maybe it will end up being more like Carl Baugh’s original double-wide “museum.” (Funny, I first started typing “museum” as “mauseum,” more like “nausea.”)

• Lagaya1
      June 14, 2014 at 2:35 PM

I’d rather they pour their money into something like this, than use it to support political candidates.

6. Drew
    June 14, 2014 at 11:31 AM

Hilarious blurb on their website, under history of life, Dinosaurs:

“Travel through time, beginning about 6,000 years ago!”

Not even The Onion could have said that better.

7. busterggi
    June 14, 2014 at 12:01 PM

If someone would open a creation museum displaying various religious myths objectively and not pretending to be science I’d want to visit – could be a fascinating exploration of the human imagination with amazing cultural artifacts & artwork.

• Blargh
      June 14, 2014 at 1:48 PM

General Beliefs
      No apparent, perceived, or claimed interpretation of evidence in any field, including history and chronology, can be valid if it contradicts the Scriptural record.

This comic seems relevant…

• Blargh
        June 14, 2014 at 1:49 PM

Hit the wrong reply button it seems. That wasn’t meant as a reply to busterggi. :)

• K8ee
      June 14, 2014 at 6:57 PM

Oh you mean like Disney Land?

• Bill T.
        June 16, 2014 at 10:17 AM

Disneyland is miles ahead in integrity, they explicityly market their fantasy as “fantasy”, and freely admit that what they are after are your dollars.

• Haldurson
      June 15, 2014 at 11:12 AM

I totally agree. I’m totally fascinated by the variety of cultural and religious beliefs in the world. And maybe show how various beliefs are related, how they developed, and so forth, put into a cultural perspective.

Part of my personal growth experience, was meeting people in college with a variety of different beliefs. I was fascinated by my Mormon friends and a native American friend and so on, and we were able to talk about religion and belief quite amicably even though I was (at that time) a Jewish agnostic. (Only negative experience in college was a run-in with some proselytizing Christian group who were apparently trying to convert my Buddhist Vietnamese roommate, and were telling him some highly negative tall tales about Jews).

8. Brandon
    June 14, 2014 at 2:20 PM

It is better if they waste their resources on these ‘museums’ than on trying to get their pseudoscience into schools.

• Lagaya1
      June 14, 2014 at 2:37 PM

I commented much the same above before I got this far in the comments thread. We think alike, Brandon.

9. Cardinal Fang
    June 14, 2014 at 2:59 PM

One wonders whether they can be prosecuted under trading standards laws for false representation. They’re advertising themselves as the Northwest SCIENCE Museum but completely ignoring science (especially the overwhelming evidence in favour of descent with modification), in favour of fringe religious dogma.

A visitor going there because it’s called a “science museum” would be being ripped off.

10. BobM
    June 14, 2014 at 8:06 PM

Personally, I’m happy for them to waste their money. It’s less money to be spent on trying to impose their religion on our laws. Less money to be spent opposing gay marriage and other quite rational ideas. And let’s face it, people don’t go to these things multiple times apparently, so it’s bound to be another money loser. The idea of keeping your science out of their religion does make me chuckle a little though. You can’t do it :-).

11. James G
    June 15, 2014 at 6:06 AM

That’s exactly what I was thinking. Dissipating their resources on wasteful enterprises is probably a good thing. Perhaps they’ll have less money to pay their lobbyists trying to roll back the clock on real science in the classroom.

Whether they’re evangelizing from the pulpit or at a museum, I think they’ll reach the same audience – people who are already creationists. I think if you take a genuinely curious person who hasn’t committed to either camp, and give them both sides of the debate, they’ll chose science. They won’t win many converts with museums; the exhibits are patently silly and exposing them as such is trivial.

Dinosaurs with saddles? I’d be tempted to go once just for pictures and giggles!

12. Tim
    June 15, 2014 at 7:49 AM

When I was a child in the 60s and 70s, I swear the religious right was pretty muchon the ffringe, and Christians and other folks of some kind of religious persuasion were not too troubled by evolution. What happened? Suddenly it’s been one attack on real science after another. All I can say is if one creation museum is failing, I hope this one does, too. Leave our science alone, or at least respect it. Otherwise, I say we start finding a way to compete with their churches and places of worship. See how they like us meddling in their sacred universe!

• DS
      June 15, 2014 at 7:56 PM

Wake up people. There is no ‘our’ science. There are claims of truth and they are subject to the same standards of evidence. Where do you think many people got their inspiration from? Science Museums! What then do you think will be the impact of creation museums on a persons aspiration to generate wealth to keep spreading the Word? Moves to legitimize and inspire pure stupidity in a culture is Dark Ages stuff and should be called to answer for itself. Don’t ignore it just because it’s easy to ridicule.

• DS
        June 15, 2014 at 8:02 PM

Addition – In many parts of the world the govt would now be hunting us down for apostasy. Remind yourselves that these issues are quite serious and we in the West are protected by a thin veneer of liberty. Respect others but do not respect bad ideas. Think.

• Lagaya1
      June 16, 2014 at 3:51 PM

Maybe if people were as diligent about teaching science to their children as they are about religion it would make the difference. We should dedicate an hour each Sunday to watching Bill Nye and Mythbusters with our kids to show them how fun science can be, while the religious types are at church. Wonder who’d be having a better time?

13. Gary
    June 15, 2014 at 5:07 PM

I stopped by there yesterday. It’s a 20×20 office in an out-of-the-way business park. There’s a couple of bookshelves with books for sale, a really cool Mastodon skull, and the skeleton of a small dinosaur. Also a display of a dozen or more Ica stones, which I’d never heard of before. Made me want to grab a rock and a Dremel tool and start hoaxing. I’m thinking a dinosaur on a cross would be really compelling. Otherwise usual BS posters and mindless drivel. I found no reason to believe that they’ll ever finance the museum they’re dreaming of.

• David H
      June 15, 2014 at 7:52 PM

Ica Stones?!? Those were debunked years ago. Its funny those folks in Boise were willing to show such pathetic “evidence” in their planned museum. But then, the predominant religion there believes in scriptures originally written in “reformed Egyptian” in a golden book and translated by a man staring at the pages through special stone spectacles.

Oddly enough, this museum is not run by people from that predominant group.

• Bill T.
        June 16, 2014 at 10:23 AM

Thousands in existence, not one has ever been found in situ in an actual documented excavation. Hmmmm.

14. A.D. Mosin
    June 15, 2014 at 5:12 PM

Christianity used to be a winner over the masses. Then came along science, quitely sneaking around catching small groups of attention. As time progressed, science slowly rose above silly religion and over time became the victor. Many centuries later, religious fanatics, feeling threatened and tired of they’re meek popularity, they return with a meek punch in the face of science by creating their, “Creationist Meuseums.” Let the battle commence. Who will be the victor?

• David H
      June 15, 2014 at 7:58 PM

The victors? Obviously our overlords–I mean Our Protectors–from Chiron Beta Prime.

15. Frederick
    June 15, 2014 at 10:21 PM

By the flying spaghetti monster! Did I heard that right, at about 1:20 on the video, that priest blame the Nazis On Darwinist?? REALLY? My 4 cats got more insight than those guys when they are doing their smelly businesses! WOW I’m seriously impressed how stupid that is. I thought Hitler was more like a extreme-right wing conservative bastard? religions, German to germany etc. So stupid it hurts!

• Frederick
      June 15, 2014 at 10:22 PM

Oups, I meant Germany to Germans!

16. louise margarite
    June 16, 2014 at 8:30 PM

As a Christian who believes in evolution, I get furious at these Creationists … all the energy and money they expend on pretending the Bible is a ‘science’ book .. The Bible is a collection of many types of literature, and some history.. but it wasn’t written to explain “how” but to question “why” as Rabbi Wolpe so beautifully puts it
    And if these people really read their bibles, they would see that the God of Jesus and that bible expect them to be out working for peace and justice.. feeding the hungry, getting water for the thirsty, providing shelter for the homeless while making sure people don’t poison the water and food supplies .. Most of this Creationism does not come from the Bible, but from racism. The southern whites who push this literalism are motivated by the fact evolution and archeological evidence support the theory that the human race evolved in Africa and migrated to other places from there… If some crackpot scientist were to publish that humanity began in what is now England, you would see these nuts running to worship that theory ….and the Bible account would be dumped … who wants a brown Adam when you can have a really white one!

17. ZombyWoof
    June 16, 2014 at 8:34 PM

It’s amazing there are people dumb enough to finance it.