Was Cosmos airing deliberately sabotaged in Colorado Springs?

KXRM-TV in Colorado Springs had some major issues with the Cosmos episode Sunday night. There were multiple interruptions by commercials. The station is being accuse of doing it on purpose because of the pro-evolution content.

FOX 21 gets slammed for Cosmos broadcast | IndyBlog | Colorado Springs Independent.

“In a conservative evangelical town like Colorado Springs, you’re ‘accidentally’ censoring an episode that deals heavily with evolution, climate change and the age of the earth,” wrote user Tristan Schwartz. “You have a shitload to answer for. I don’t believe for one second that this is outside your control. FIRE WHOEVER NEEDS TO BE FIRED.”

foxtweet

OK, ok, lots of people aren’t buying the mistake was unintentional (and I would not be surprised if it was someone messing up on purpose just for kicks. But the episode will be re-aired. Also, if the best you can do is censor someone else’s work because you don’t like it, you LOSE. The science still stands.

cosmos_milky way

15 comments for “Was Cosmos airing deliberately sabotaged in Colorado Springs?

1. RayG
    May 6, 2014 at 9:34 PM

How could they tell? It is so bloated with commercials anyway, it’s nearly impossible to watch while live. 6 minutes of air, then 4 minutes of ads. Roughly 38 minutes of actual content for an hour slot. McFarlane sold out as far as I’m concerned. He sold it to Fox and let them dictate the amount of content. A major sponsor in the STEM field should have stepped up and ran with it and let him make a show that Sagan could be proud of. As of now, it’s DVR fodder- FF’ing through the ads and the repeated content on the backside of those ads and I can have it finished in 30 minutes.

• David Glück
      May 6, 2014 at 11:38 PM

You can watch full episodes online the day after they air without commercials at:

They run a bit over 42 minutes.

• Geoff
        May 7, 2014 at 1:11 AM

Dang…I missed the first episode. Under “Episodes”, that site just goes back to the second.

Anyhoo…definitely mixed feelings so far. The animation is annoying as all get out. If that’s an homage to the original series, it’s one it shouldn’t have done.

The bulk of it is dusty, moldy, old hat information for me. However, I realize I’m not the target audience. This might be for some kid what something was for me a bazillion years ago.

Some are disappointed in the music. IMHO, I don’t care about that. They could be playing the Captain and Tennille and I wouldn’t notice. Too linear for that.

On the plus side, NGT is very good. And I love how the creationists are getting all nuts. “NGT doesn’t give us any time!” Sure he does. About three seconds to state one of your claims and about six to refute it. Several times.

• RayG
        May 7, 2014 at 9:13 AM

Yes, I know- Natgeo also runs an “expanded” version the next night, but for a show of this magnitude, a primary sponsor should have taken up the gauntlet and have limited interruptions through the show. Losing a THIRD of the show to commercials for “man size” pee guards and the like certainly takes away from the subject matter. Look what happened to “This Old House”- for a half hour show on PUBLIC television, they’ve cut the actual content to about 21 minutes. All to be better sold into syndication on HGTV or wherever without cutting anything from the show and leaving plenty of space for commercials. The Sunday night airing of Cosmos is, in my opinion, virtually un-watchable because of this. I was as jacked up as anyone for the series when it was announced, but I had my doubts when Fox was involved. For me, those fears were confirmed.

• RayG
          May 7, 2014 at 9:19 AM

I WILL say, that the material itself is fine. They did a decent job, although I’m not a great fan of Tyson’s delivery style. A few blatant inaccuracies in the graphics and such, but give them a pass on artistic license. But it does miss the ‘spark’ of the original, but that’s probably a result of having watched the original only a few months ago on DVD and having it fresh in my head.

• Tony Joe
      May 7, 2014 at 9:45 AM

last weeks episode (without commericals) was 41:32 long
      episode 1 was 43:37
      episode 2 was 42:50
      episode 3 was 43:08
      episode 4 was 41:18
      episode 5 was 43:08
      episode 6 was 43:13
      episode 7 was 41:45
      episode 8 was 40:16

so each episode has been roughly 42 minutes long

• Frederick
      May 7, 2014 at 5:35 PM

All tv show on fox got the same amount of publicity, it is bad yes, but to reach a wider public, Fox is a good place. And beside Macfarlane got a good leverage inside FOX. Yes i’m a fan of his work, but lot of people are, so when he go upstair at fox directors and say ” I have a new projet” they listen, if a nobody had come with the idea, fox might have overlooked it.

And also the special effects and all animation require people with skills and money. Macfarlane got the money, talent and know a lot of people in the animation. So on the contrary fox was the best choice. And since FOX is more right wing, shaking the conservative tree is kind of a nice idea.

• RayG
        May 7, 2014 at 8:25 PM

Fox was the right choice for exposure. What I had hoped for was a special deal with a STEM related company like GE or Apple and the like to put up the money to fully sponsor it. Limited interruptions to keep people watching. At least 2 people at work stopped watching it because of it. They would pop around to other channels during all the ads and lose interest.

2. Chris Howard
    May 7, 2014 at 9:07 AM

Local affiliates have been known to pull stunts like this in the past, so it’s definitely possible.

The networks tend not to like it, but it happens.

3. Jim Speiser
    May 7, 2014 at 7:12 PM

And leave us not forget that this is not the first time this has happened to the Cosmos reboot. I think it was the first episode that had about 20 seconds cut out due to a glitch at a local Fox affiliate in Oklahoma. (Whoda thunk?)

4. D
    May 7, 2014 at 8:10 PM

Wow, did’nt expect to see what amounts to, essentially, a conspiracy theory headline here.

It reminds me of back before the 2008 U.S. presidential election when Ron Paul fans were claiming repeated censorship attacks on him by tv networks and during live debates.

• Headless Unicorn Guy
      May 11, 2014 at 9:16 PM

And after the November elections, they all took the name John Galt and jammed the Web with “I TOLD YOU SO!”s.

Who is John Galt?
      Hellifino, but after that election the guy had more Celebrity Impersonators than Elvis.

5. Old Muley
    May 7, 2014 at 10:10 PM

Fox 11 out of Green Bay was missing a chunk of the program from the end of “Alfred Wegener” part through just about the end of the second animation sequence. I’d guess it was probably about 2 minutes worth. Of course the local affiliate filled the time up with more commercials.

• Chris Howard
      May 8, 2014 at 9:37 AM

That’s a good point.

It may have nothing to do with creationists objections, and more to do with the fact that it has great ratings, therefore the local affiliates are cramming as many local commercials into a space that is already packed by national sponsors.

6. Terry
    May 8, 2014 at 4:46 PM

I work in TV as a video editor/engineer at a station in a top ten market. Let me just tell you, mistakes happen all the time, and they happen more often in the smaller markets where they usually don’t have union representation in Master Control. If a program is interrupted or a commercial doesn’t run, it’s possible that the station sales department would have offer a “make good” to that advertiser. You don’t want to do that in the first place.