Unexpected, unidentified object crashes through window in St. Paul

It’s a mystery in Minnesota. Is it a part from a UFO? Well, it was as least for a while an unidentified flying object. It remains unidentified.

St. Paul man settles in to watch the Twins, and BOOM! – TwinCities.com.

Bob Urman was sitting in a recliner in his apartment in the heart of St. Paul, about to watch a Minnesota Twins game on TV, when he heard a loud “Boom!” and his window shattered.

Urman thought it sounded like a shotgun blast. Then he looked closer.

A small steel object had smashed a hole through his window, busted the venetian blinds, dented the back of his TV and left a burn mark on the carpet. He called the apartment’s caretaker, who was away at work. Then he called police.

What the object is remains a mystery.

It is black and silver, appeared to be solid steel, mushroom shaped, smaller than a baseball. It was still warm when police investigated 45 minutes later. Was it a piece from an airplane? So far there has been no idenfication.

You would think someone would be able to identify what it is. But then you have to figure out how it ended up with such velocity to break the window and burn the rug. Could it be a piece from a larger machine? This is a curious story with no answer yet. If anyone finds out more, we’d love to update it.

This steel object smashed through the third-floor window of Bob Urman's St. Paul apartment on May 7, 2014. It burned the carpet. It's not known what it is or where it came from.  (Photo courtesy St. Paul police)

This steel object smashed through the third-floor window of Bob Urman’s St. Paul apartment on May 7, 2014. It burned the carpet. It’s not known what it is or where it came from. (Photo courtesy St. Paul police)

9 comments for “Unexpected, unidentified object crashes through window in St. Paul

1. JC
    May 11, 2014 at 5:42 PM

From the photos it looks like a ‘granny cap’ from an out door fireplace. The cap is inserted into the top of the stove pipe to prevent burning embers from shooting out and landing in trees/shrubs. I had one many moons ago when living on a hobby farm outside of Ottawa, Ontario.
    agent j

• K Friesen
      May 11, 2014 at 5:59 PM

• K Friesen
      May 11, 2014 at 6:02 PM

This is easy. It is the muffler bearing from a 29435 De Snotti inter dimensional transport craft. They must have gotten lost when they were trying to follow tha Nazca lines to the fair, only they went north instead of south. This model of De Snottis frequently would drop bearings when there was a build up in the psychic frustration fields. This is a big part of the reason that De Snottis are usually prohibited from flying over the US, especially during election season

• ChristineRose
      May 12, 2014 at 11:47 AM

Sewer exhaust. Chimney caps are similar but usually have wire mesh to catch embers as well. I also thought of the vertical exhaust stacks on diesel trucks, which would at least explain why they couldn’t find the source outside the window, but I couldn’t find any trucks that use a cap like that.

Another option would be someone with some sort of homemade rocket, which is pretty farfetched given the terrain, but it would explain just about any out of place object.

2. M. Schaefer
    May 11, 2014 at 10:32 PM

Space junk?

• Paul
      May 12, 2014 at 2:10 PM

Space junk was my first thought. However, steel? I would expect titanium or aluminum considering the cost per kilo of sending things into space.

3. Steve
    May 12, 2014 at 4:39 PM

Automotive – rather than intergalactic or an air-part I would bet. I have seen something like that before but I can’t remember exactly where. Part of my job is to fix some old (usually) Land Rover products we keep on our airfield to lug things around. It really does look familliar but it must have been at some pressure to have flown way up there – exhaust maybe or cooling system – ouch! just glad Mr Urman was not hit by it.

4. Jim Price
    May 13, 2014 at 12:34 AM

I think space junk is the most likely explanation. Just because someone is saying it is steel doesn’t mean it’s steel.

5. steve
    May 13, 2014 at 4:21 PM

I might “have it” now – I remember taking an old exhaust flexy to bits (yes I am a nerd) once and think it looks like one of the end bits! I won’t rest now until I have cut up another one to see – Nurse! Nurse!