Radiation defense, in your pants

Why silver? Why not lead?

Men’s underwear claims to protect your private parts from public rays.

The makers of Wireless Armour claim they protect the wearer from electromagnetic radiation by meshing pure silver into the pouch area (and, indeed, all around).

Joseph Perkins says in a YouTube video that he “came across this problem” while teaching physics in Switzerland.

There is, Perkins says, enormous evidence that radiation is a contributor. This led him to take the next step a true physicist would: create radiation-blocking men’s knickers.

Wireless Armour’s scientific basis is simple: It seeks to create a Faraday cage around your most important beastly areas.

These underpants have silver woven into them, which means you can allegedly enjoy life with less a chastity belt and more a cage of pure potential.

Perkins says he has given up his underwear for independent testing and the results were that 99.9 percent of radiation was repelled.

We should be highly skeptical of this. For one, it is debated whether electromagnetic radiation causes lower sperm count and infertility in men. So it might be that this could end up being a piece of expensive cloth with no real function other than just covering your private parts and making you feel like you are doing something important. I’m not getting the use of silver to redirect EM waves. Is that real or just sciencey language?

There is some evidence that RF radiation can cause temporary lower motility in sperm but there are no studies so far that seem to indicate any long term effect.

There has also been theories that heat from laptops causes infertility but nothing substantive showed that was the case, though this makes more sense and may be a source of confusion for people.

If you wonder what a Faraday cage is and what it does, you can read about it here.

But while the Wold Health Organization (WHO) has listed electromagnetic radiation as possibly carcinogenic, they also state that is should not be misinterpreted that any significant risk has been observed but rather “that the possibility could not be conclusively ruled out using the available data.”

Sounds like this is marketed to highly paranoid guys.

Tip: Joel Peterson

15 comments for “Radiation defense, in your pants

1. gewisn
    May 2, 2014 at 1:12 PM

A) my understanding of a Faraday Cage is that it needs to be grounded in order to disspate the energy. Do I need to have my silver boxers connected to a wire that I drag on the ground behind me? If so, what happens when the person walking behind me steps on it?

B) How do I test this? Can I continue to use the same MelMeter in my pants that I’ve been using for years to assure no ghosts are attacking my junk?
    “No, ma’am. That’s my thermocouple probe.”

2. Paul Robinson
    May 2, 2014 at 1:13 PM

Sadly provides the rest of us no protection from the wearer’s gas attacks.

3. May 2, 2014 at 1:22 PM

Silver is an excellent conductor (better than gold!) and that is what you want for a Faraday cage to block EM. Lead would be for shielding against ionizing radiation such as gamma rays and X-rays. That said, this product is complete BS.

• One Eyed Jack
      May 3, 2014 at 7:35 AM

Copper would work just fine at a fraction of the cost. The use of silver is no doubt part of the marketing.

4. May 2, 2014 at 3:05 PM

Silver DOES reflect EM waves (BTW copper conducts 90 percent as well at a much lower cost, thus most electrical conductors are copper – use slightly larger copper wire and it’s as good as silver wire), but the question to ask is do (radio-wave wavelength) EM waves need reflecting? That’s a matter of magnitude and power of the radio wave. For a cell phone’s output, certainly not. A microwave oven’s output, definitely yes (thus the window with the metal sheet with small holes in it).

A Faraday cage doesn’t need grounding, but it does need for every opening to be smaller than the smallest wavelength it’s intended to block. Legs and torso are larger than microwave wavelengths (the EM/radio waves thought to be most harmful), so that won’t work, except that the human body tends to absorb microwaves. Radio waves are NOT ionizing radiation (and too many people don’t know the difference!), but if they have enough power, they can heat up body material much like how a microwave oven heats food, and that’s bad. Such a faraday cage would keep your privates from heating up, but if you’re standing in front of a high-power radar antenna, the rest of you is going to heat up, and if you get too hot you’ll die.

• Niall Forrester
      May 3, 2014 at 4:55 AM

Hard to say exactly what effect having a transmitter (e.g. a mobile phone) practically in contact with your ‘faraday cage’ underwear would be too. It might feasibly cause the phone to transmit at a higher power level, thus increasing ‘exposure’ to the rest of your body anyway. Also heating effects might come into play as silver is a pretty good conductor of heat, if I recall correctly.

5. CLamb
    May 2, 2014 at 4:39 PM

I can’t speak for others but I always take care to protect my largest organ from dangerous EMR in the vicinity. The location where I live is bathed in EMR from an unauthorized foreign fusion reactor approximately half the day. Both my father and his father suffered from cancer due to exposure to this source. However, I don’t spend money for special underwear. I’ve found just ordinary clothing great at absorbing or reflecting this radiation.

• Lagaya1
      May 2, 2014 at 5:35 PM

I’m embarrassed to say, I’m not sure if you’re serious or not…your largest organ? …Unauthorized foreign fusion reactor?

More info, please. I’m dying to know!

• Peter
        May 2, 2014 at 7:13 PM

largest organ = your skin
        Unauthorized foreign fusion reactor = the sun

• Lagaya1
          May 2, 2014 at 7:54 PM

Ahhh. Thanks!

• Lagaya
            May 2, 2014 at 8:03 PM

Since the article was about protecting your manliness, i thought he was bragging!

6. May 2, 2014 at 4:51 PM

A Faraday cage can be made out of any conductive metal (which is pretty much all metals), the metal isn’t the important part, the size of the mesh is.

These people who capitalise on society’s ignorance are despicable, though they certainly aren’t pioneers.

“We live in a world that is exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology.” – Carl Sagan

7. Derek Freyberg
    May 2, 2014 at 7:02 PM

As I recall, the late (unlamented?) Edward Teller was reputed to have said something to the effect that men did more damage to their reproductive capability by wearing tighty-whities than boxer shorts over whatever damage was done by radiation.

8. One Eyed Jack
    May 3, 2014 at 7:37 AM

This is only logical. Where else would you keep the family jewels but in a silver pouch?

9. BobM
    May 3, 2014 at 4:35 PM

You’re all talking about the physics, when the most interesting part of this is the psychology. :-) He’s figured out – not independently mind – that men have a high regard for their wedding tackle. I bet he’ll sell a few of these.