Family attack cat to the rescue

OK, this may be the best pet cat ever. She’s a superheroine.

AMAZING VIDEO: Cat saves boy from dog attack in Southwest Bakersfield – 23ABC News.

A cat came to her best friend’s rescue Tuesday when a young boy was attacked by a dog in his driveway in Southwest Bakersfield and it was all caught on video.

The neighbor’s dog, an 8-month-old labrador/chow mix, sneaks up behind him and bites his leg.

The family’s cat, named Tara, rushed the attacking dog and chased it away.

It all happens so fast. The dog just arbitrarily attacks the boy and the cat swoops in claws first to repel the dog. As the mother ran to the child to help him and chase the dog away, it’s reported she was also bitten. The dog had escaped from the neighbor’s yard.

The boy needed many stitches for the bite injuries and is likely very traumatized over the dog attack. The cat was unharmed. The dog will be euthanized after watching it for rabies or other illnesses. The family says the cat is very family-oriented and a good pet. She’s done a fine job as watchcat; this could have been a tragedy.

8 comments for “Family attack cat to the rescue

1. Angela
    May 15, 2014 at 9:01 AM

And no one ever ever EVER argued with Miss Kitty again…..

2. Lee
    May 15, 2014 at 11:42 AM

I wish my felines were so inclined to protect me from danger. Cats rule, dogs drool!

3. May 15, 2014 at 12:33 PM

Interesting comment at the end. The newscaster says the dog’s family “voluntarily had it quarantined.” [may not be exact phrasing]. I’m guessing the euthanization decision is a later development.

4. justin
    May 15, 2014 at 4:05 PM

Its a real shame the dog is going to be put down. There are no bad dogs, only bad owners. The cat attacking the dog isn’t that special. Cats do it alot. We had a Siamese that attacked a lab that was loose because it got to close to my sister when I was younger. I had a grey and white cat named junior about 6 years ago. He would never fight cats, but he would actively hunt dogs. “Literally” my neighbor shot him one day because he had killed one of his dogs and was in the process of killing another. He weighed nearly 30lbs and was not fat. He was the only cat I’ve personally owned. Very aggressive when he was young. Used to seriously attacks your face if you looked him in the eye. I eventually broke him of it and aside from hunting and killing dogs a very good cat.

5. Perry Bulwer
    May 15, 2014 at 6:49 PM

“The cat attacking the dog isn’t that special.”

Easy for you to say. You’re not that little boy. That dog could have taken a much bigger chunk out of that boys leg, or worse, turned and grabbed his head or face.

6. justin
    May 16, 2014 at 1:49 AM

I apologize. I was commenting on the uniqueness of the story. It happens more often than one would think. I still do not believe the dog should not be put down. The owners should be held responsible to a much greater extent. When you have any type of pet you take on certain responsibilities. If you fail in those you should be punished, not the animal. But I do apologize. I was attacked by a dog when I was younger. A dog I thought I knew pretty well and pet on a regular basis for almost a year. One day it wouldn’t cone out of its dog house. I called to it for a few minutes and decided to leave. When I turned around and started walking it came out and knocked me to the ground and proceeded to tear a large piece of my mid inner thigh off. I managed to punch the dog in the eyes until it released and I took off back home. I had to have surgery and skin grafts to repair my thigh. I never blamed the dog. Even at the age of 8 I realized it was just an animal and I must have done something wrong. Now this boy was in his own yard and this dog was loose, but its wrong to blame the dog. The owners should not have letbit roam free and if they were good owners to begin with, it wouldn’t have been aggressive twords a small boy. If you have an animal, its your responsibility. If you fail in your responsibilities and a person gets hurt, you should be punished. Not the object that did the physical damage. That would be like destroying an oven because someone forgot to turn it off and it burned someone.

• Perry Bulwer
      May 16, 2014 at 2:06 PM

No need to apologize. I’m not really disagreeing with anything you’re saying. I was just pointing out it was ‘special’ from the boy’s point of view. I agree that this kind of thing probably happens a lot more than we are aware of since most incidents are never caught on camera.

Internet cat memes I’ve seen don’t capture the true nature of this beast.

I’ve got a ‘pet peeve’ about that invasive species, and not just because the Prime Minister of Canada, Stephen Harper and his wife publicly advocate for rescuing house cats but do nothing for children in poverty.

House cats have a sinister side, though no fault of their own as they only do what comes natural to them. As usual, its the humans at fault.

There are tens of millions of feral house cats in the US, with estimates up to 70 to 100 million, wreaking havoc on birds and other indigenous wildlife.

I hope I haven’t upset any cat people, its just that I prefer the sound of song birds to the caterwauling of cats.

7. Kostas
    May 16, 2014 at 5:47 AM

I love the fact that after ensuring that the dog fled, the cat goes back to the child to see if he’s okay. Very smart for a feline.