Drinkable sunscreen? No, hogwash.

We posted this story from another source AND a clear debunking that it is utter nonsense in yesterday’s leftover links but it’s surprisingly getting traction. That means people really WANT IT TO BE TRUE. However, wish in one hand… yada yada yada…

Skeptic alert: think twice about “drinkable sunscreen”.

A handful of media outlets — including the not-exactly-known-for-reliability Daily Mail — have reported that a semi-miraculous new sunscreen is on the market: no more smearing slimy goop all over yourself, just swallow a teaspoon of “Harmonized H20” sunscreen water and an hour later your skin will be protected from sunburn thanks to the power of “vibrations” and “frequencies” and “harmony.” (Remember: despite words like “frequency” and “harmony,” this is not an article about music theory, radio broadcasting or any other sound-oriented thingamawhat, but an alleged oral sunscreen.)

There was no way I was going to post the original article since it was from the Daily Mail. As regular readers know, we almost NEVER link to them except with a specific purpose. This was not it. This story was obviously bogus. It would be nice to be able to debunk the stories that need bunkum removal but there is no way I can do that. So, first rule of thumb, consider the source. Daily Fail? Look for another source. In this case, don’t bother. It’s nonsense.

NeuroLogica Blog » Drinkable Sunscreen.

If the claims being made by this company were true, then the “founder and formulator” Dr. Ben Johnson would be up for several Nobel Prizes, in physics, chemistry, and medicine.

It’s a huge red flag when a company claims to have made a remarkable breakthrough, especially when their claims require several remarkable breakthroughs simultaneously.

Another red flag is when such breakthrough claims are made in the complete absence of a scientific paper trail. Where are all the published research papers establishing the fundamental claims of this new stunning medical technology?

Dr. Steve Novella filed a complaint with the FDA. Good.

10 comments for “Drinkable sunscreen? No, hogwash.

1. May 20, 2014 at 6:29 PM

I have used Rbutr to link to the Neurologica post to two pages. People will believe ANYTHING.

2. May 20, 2014 at 8:34 PM

A news report here in New Zealand has given them some free advertising as well. Thomas Lumley, a professor of biostatistics at the University of Auckland, has written about it on his blog StatsChat: http://www.statschat.org.nz/2014/05/21/revolutionary-new-advertising-success/

Myself and, hopefully, several other local activists will be complaining to the Advertising Standards Authority about the strong yet unsubstantiated therapeutic claims about “harmonized water” products on their New Zealand website (http://www.donotlink.com/iVh). They also seem to have other bogus products like “Anti Pathogen” and a “mosquito deterrent”. Not just nonsense, but dangerous nonsense.

Hopefully the results of these complaints will get similar coverage to what has already been given to the ludicrous claims.

3. ApexDisorder
    May 20, 2014 at 9:04 PM

This is not be very hard to dismantle.
    Prove these claims are false?
    Give my pastey tattooed body a week, we’ll see how well this works.
    When I do see the light of day, its the highest sun block for me.

4. May 21, 2014 at 9:23 AM

Just this morning the Today Show mentioned this drinkable sunscreen. One doctor did say it was not FDA approved. The other interviewee tried to explain the process by which the product worked. She flubbed the woo. Not surprising.

5. May 21, 2014 at 9:27 AM

The Today Show just did a piece on this sunscreen juice.
    One doctor did mention that it was not FDA approved.
    The other interviewee tried to explain the science behind this product.
    She babbled over the woo and failed miserably.

6. Cathy
    May 21, 2014 at 7:12 PM

I heard it reported on tv briefly and didn’t give it much thought as it was only a news headline type grab, but it did remind me of my friend telling me of finding her son drinking from a bottle of sunscreen and being reassured by the poisons information line that he would be fine. ;-)

7. G
    May 21, 2014 at 10:37 PM

Weird coincidence. It’s been 7 days since I started complaining that a new [liquid] medication tastes like Banana Boat sunscreen. (I’m a klutz, I grew up in Florida; of course I know what sunscreen tastes like. All the name brands, even.] I *am* drinking sunscreen, as far as my taste buds can tell, although it is the “slimy goop” kind.

Honestly, when I first saw a headline about drinkable sunscreen, I wondered if a hoaxer was riffing on something along those lines. “Sunscreen that is safe for consumption” or “Flavored sunscreen, kid safe” or something like that.